Cost to operate least maintence non low reving 4 stroke bike?

Im looking for a trail bike. Don't know why I put 4 stroke in the subject. A 2 stroke is fine.

I want:

• Fairly potent bike (ie 450 like power) No drz400 or the like.
  • Lowest maintentence. Most reliable.
  • Cheapest cost to operate (ie amount of money spent over a year divided by ride time)

I am kinda thinking about a ktm 200/300xcw, 450/525exc, yamaha wr450.

Any help appreciated!

Edited by qwertyqewrt

There are guys with yz400, 426's and 450's that have insane hours on them, like 300 or so with no top end replacements done.

The key is to keep dirt out of the engine, you need to do regular air filter cleanings every couple or three hours to ensure a long lasting engine.

For carbed bikes I would highly recommend that you filter the vent lines for the carbs as they can suck up raw un-filtered air and lead to destroyed valves. This is pretty clear with hondas from what I've read.

2 strokes are looking at rebuilds from 50-100 hours regardless of how well you maintain the engine. People mostly agree that after 100 hours your pushing it and you might end up with a kaboom.

With a 4 stroke, if you keep your maint up and follow my above advice, it could last you 3 times longer no problem with a YZ.

Alot of the "4 strokes are less reliable" really is a myth when considering some brands and/or maintainence practices.

RPM wears engines so a bike used for trail riding will last a lot longer than one used for MX. Dirt is the other major killer of engines so filter maintenance is very important, as well as filtering any openings into the engine such as carb vent hoses or crankcase vents. By far the best air filters are paper but they are easily fouled by water, but for dry/dusty areas they would be my first choice. Frequent oil changing removes any dirt that gets inside the engine.

There are guys with yz400, 426's and 450's that have insane hours on them, like 300 or so with no top end replacements done.

The key is to keep dirt out of the engine, you need to do regular air filter cleanings every couple or three hours to ensure a long lasting engine.

For carbed bikes I would highly recommend that you filter the vent lines for the carbs as they can suck up raw un-filtered air and lead to destroyed valves. This is pretty clear with hondas from what I've read.

2 strokes are looking at rebuilds from 50-100 hours regardless of how well you maintain the engine. People mostly agree that after 100 hours your pushing it and you might end up with a kaboom.

With a 4 stroke, if you keep your maint up and follow my above advice, it could last you 3 times longer no problem with a YZ.

Alot of the "4 strokes are less reliable" really is a myth when considering some brands and/or maintainence practices.

saw ktm 300's with ~300 hours on stock pistons . . . 800-900 hours on the stock crank . . . . i would'nt do it but its doable .

back on topic ktm300 xc/xc-w all the way , more fun , less $$$ spent.

I would have to disagree. The 50 hours mark is mostly for hard trail riders on a high reving 2 stroke mx bike. On the trail versions you can get lots of hours. I know for a fact my kdx is over 100 and is on the stock piston. Since a 300 has so much power, it will be hardly rebuilt because the guy is a non aggressive trail rider.