Hanging idle question....

So i have been reading up on the issue. I don't mind the hanging idle so much as it seems to idle really high. When the bike is good and warm and i come to a stop in gear it idles real high until i get it into neutral. Its idling maybe at half throttle or so. Evan when I'm in neutral it takes a minute for it to come down. I have jd jet kit ais block off kit, and air box mod. Is there a way to bring the idle down and maybe cut the reaction time down when its in neutral?

Different people have had varying success with different fixes...for me it was the pilot...i went down from a 45 to a 42 and it was an automatic cure. others have had the same results. I know Yanni unplugged his TPS and it seems to have worked for him. I had a hanging idle that would do the same thing as yours...i could bring it down by putting a slight load on the engine...like feathering the clutch a bit. But it was only cured when i swapped the pilot. Good luck!

I just set my idle after the bike is at operating temp. It is never going to run like a car with an automatic/electric choke. Or a motor that is fuel injected which has an engine temp sensor.

I tried unhooking the TPS, and the GPS, and both, and neither combination fixed the hanging idle. I've just gotten used to it and now always end up clicking the bike into neutral when I stop.

GPS is the Gear-Position-Sensor. Try that.

The only thing pulling that offline did for me, was to make the hanging idle happen in neutral, aswell as in gear.

Yeah, it's strange. Not only did it work for you, but even Eddie Sisneros suggested it would.

I'm going to mess with the jetting, next. And while I'm mentioning it, what would you guys recommend for the bike with the stock exhaust, but with a PMB insert, no airbox mods, at sea level?

I run in the same conditions you do DRZ....i wan a 155main, 42 pilot and 5th clip on the needle.

Thanks for the help. I remember turning my fuel screw out like 2 and a 1/4 turns. I dont have the instructions anymore. Should i back that off a little?

Nope...i'm about 1.75-2.5 turns out depending on the elevation, temp etc.

I run in the same conditions you do DRZ....i wan a 155main, 42 pilot and 5th clip on the needle.

Thanks.

:thumbsup:

Okay, bear with me! I'm no mechanic, I just ride. What is the TPS? I have the same problem on my '08. Even new it would hang. I purchased the service plan and have had it in twice with no luck. Please help! I put a load on the engine but in really tight situations or on a steep downhill it really sucks. Love the bike but have that one problem!

What elevation are you guys at?

What elevation are you guys at?

I am at sea-level to 2000ft.

if the 48 was a tad rich wouldn't you have to have the fuel screw in a lot more ( 1-1.5 turns)

I still have the stock 45 and have always wondered if it would start easier with a 48

I'm on the Oregon coast at sea level and right now bone stock it's definitely running lean. Gotta choke it quite often even when it should still be warm enough to not need it and exhaust runs real hot.

I don't want to start hacking the airbox and pulling the spark arrestor until I can jet it right.

Is your setup with the JD jet kit? Does the stock needle have adjustments? I'm just wondering if I can get away with not buying the entire jet kit and just buy a main and pilot jet.

So I dropped down to 160/main, needle 5th clip, and fuel screw 2 turns out. Im going to order a 48 pilot. It would be nice if it started with out having to use the choke all the time. I'm use to my drz that starts every time without the choke. I'm just waiting to get it out and see how it runs. What kind of grease should I use to seal up the GPS looms?

So I dropped down to 160/main, needle 5th clip, and fuel screw 2 turns out. Im going to order a 48 pilot. It would be nice if it started with out having to use the choke all the time. I'm use to my drz that starts every time without the choke. I'm just waiting to get it out and see how it runs. What kind of grease should I use to seal up the GPS looms?

di-electric grease

I was the first one in my group to get to Glamis a couple if weeks a go (had some time to kill) and got to experience what the engineers had in mind. With those weather conditions I got it to idle at lets say 750 rpm(just picking numbers here, no tach) then when I put it in gear the idle would pick up maybe 150. Never encountered the dreaded "hanging idle" (I have before) but what it did was keep the front light when off the throttle, less engine braking, kinda cool. Now the next morning, pull the choke pump the throttle once and it didn't turn over two times and lit. It high idled for about ten seconds and sounded blubbery turned off the choke and away I went. It wouldn't idle cold, but idled fine in about 5-10 minutes. :excuseme: