non o ring master link on o ring chian?

I used to do it, and it will fit. I had an EK520mx chain o-ring that I could not for the life of my fit an o-ring master link. The rubber o-rings would make it impossible to get the master link on as they would not compress easily, I tried needle nose vise grips to press it on and try and slip on my clip but no go.

I finally went out and bought a non-oring master link and it slid on fine after a little bit of work.

Was it the right thing to do? Probably not, but it worked and I was able to ride the bike.

I used to do it, and it will fit. I had an EK520mx chain o-ring that I could not for the life of my fit an o-ring master link. The rubber o-rings would make it impossible to get the master link on as they would not compress easily, I tried needle nose vise grips to press it on and try and slip on my clip but no go.

I finally went out and bought a non-oring master link and it slid on fine after a little bit of work.

Was it the right thing to do? Probably not, but it worked and I was able to ride the bike.

My friend had a similar situation, he had an o-ring chain with an o-ring master; but, what he did was run the 2 rubber o-rings on the back side and left the 2 on the outside off in order to get the clip to secure. It also cut down dramatically the amount of wear the outer retaining clip would receive from going through the rear guide. However, only do this with a new chain, because after the wear factor sets the chain, slop starts to develop and he needed to eventually put those rubber o-rings back in.

My friend had a similar situation, he had an o-ring chain with an o-ring master; but, what he did was run the 2 rubber o-rings on the back side and left the 2 on the outside off in order to get the clip to secure. It also cut down dramatically the amount of wear the outer retaining clip would receive from going through the rear guide. However, only do this with a new chain, because after the wear factor sets the chain, slop starts to develop and he needed to eventually put those rubber o-rings back in.

Yea that would work for sure.

I don't even go o-ring any more, the chain is close enough to the frame on my new bike as it is, I don't want to decrease that clearance.

Really?

Why when one of these tools is so cheap?

pitposse_2136_72331096

$9.95 from Pitposse

Yea that would work for sure.

I don't even go o-ring any more, the chain is close enough to the frame on my new bike as it is, I don't want to decrease that clearance.

I recently just talked to my friend about his master link setup, and he clarified to me with utmost importance, that he was using a narrower master o-ring type master link and that the plate clearance to the clip slots should be firm but not utterly or ridiculously tight as you mentioned in order to get the retaining clip on. I am always alert to my master link setup, and I am seriously considering a permanent master link for o-ring style chains.

The reason he stated for running a narrower master link, was to reduce the wear factor on his retaining clip surface. So now I see why he was running only the backside rubber o-rings.

Edited by nokickstandsallowed
added text.