2" Hitch Mounted Bike Hauler

My SUV is the Cadillac Escalade, My bike is the Sherco 2T 290.

I want to make a 2" Hitch Mounted Carrier. I would like some input, has anybody else made their own Carrier....Could ya share some of your ideas....

Hello

I borrowed one to take my WR250R on vacation. It worked very well but teeter tottered on the receiver. I used tie downs to cure that. Also it was heavy, make sure your hitch can take it... It even had break lights. When I build one it will have 3 each 2" receivers. One in the middle and two stubby ones on the ends. If you private message your email I will send you 2 pictures that i have

Jim

This is how you take the teeter totter out at the receiver:

pinlarge.jpg

I wander if we are over loading our receiver hitches? I know i had over 300# bouncing on mind. Scary what do you think? I had a locking cable around my bike and my bumper so mine would have just dragged on the ground behind my RV.:thumbsup:

Jim

I wander if we are over loading our receiver hitches? I know i had over 300# bouncing on mind. Scary what do you think? I had a locking cable around my bike and my bumper so mine would have just dragged on the ground behind my RV.:thumbsup:

Jim

To help you with your quandry, it depends on what Class hitch you have, as well as the GTW x 10% (rough way of estimating tongue weight capacity) of your vehicle. Class III receiver can carry 350-500 lbs of tongue weight. Class IV receiver can carry 500+ lbs of tongue weight, all of this provided you don't exceed your vehicles Tongue Weight Capacity (Calculation derived from above). Be sure to add the weight of the Bikes to the weight of the carrier to make sure you aren't overloading the receiver.

here's a couple shots of my rack. Used two supports rather than one. Very, Very stable and never had a problem when I had my XR600 on it. Added two receivers to a standard receiver. Got a new van now and had Echart make me a custom receiver with three receivers.

rack6.jpg

rack5.jpg

rack1.jpg

DSCN1073.jpg

My SUV is the Cadillac Escalade, My bike is the Sherco 2T 290.

I want to make a 2" Hitch Mounted Carrier. I would like some input, has anybody else made their own Carrier....Could ya share some of your ideas....

You must love to build your own stuff. Those things are super cheap to buy. I got mine from http://www.atvexpress.com/MCCarrier.html for about $150 shipped.

Regarding the wobble... that's very easily addressed with the hitch vise.

http://www.hitchrider.com/hitch-vise-fit-guide-2.htm

Hey Thanx Rider's for all your great input....LeadDog, that looks good, i like your ideas, I'll prob build with a single stem though. My Dad is a retired Pipeline Welder, he built everything himself, and i'm the same way. I'm never satisfied with manufactured products...well sometimes that is, and now that I'm a family man, i need to save a few buckers here and there eh.

I'll try to post pics of the end result here shortly...hopefully before Xmas.

Thanx again, Have A Great Ride....Please keep the ideas coming....

I had the ATV express one. I liked it because the tie downs go to the center and load both F and R suspensions. Along with the hitch clamp, it was fairly stable. It was also very light. For $130 it's ahrd to beat.

Can't beat LeadDoggy's design for stability and brawn, though. I also like his lights. If I had Fab skills, I would do something like that.

I'm not concerned about the weight, the hitch on the vehicle is good, and my Sherco is 140lbs.

For my Mtn. Bikes, i have the Northshore Rack 4. It's capable of 4 DH Mtn bikes. The Rack it self weighs in at approx 70lbs. If anyone is lookin for a great Mtn Bike Rack for there vehicle, I highly recommend northshorerack.com

The cool thing about the Escalade, is the self levelling feature it has. Load that sucker down, and it handles Great....like there is no load on it...Tons of power to boot.

The only real problem to building my Rack, is time. The wife and two little jiblets are quite demanding of Dadda....I enjoy building my own, cuttin', weldin', drillin', fabbin'....it's good fun.....like a freshly shaved scrotum, its quite breath takin...

I'm not concerned about the weight, the hitch on the vehicle is good, and my Sherco is 140lbs.

For my Mtn. Bikes, i have the Northshore Rack 4. It's capable of 4 DH Mtn bikes. The Rack it self weighs in at approx 70lbs. If anyone is lookin for a great Mtn Bike Rack for there vehicle, I highly recommend northshorerack.com

The cool thing about the Escalade, is the self levelling feature it has. Load that sucker down, and it handles Great....like there is no load on it...Tons of power to boot.

That's wonderfull. But, I was speaking of when you would remove the carrier for storage. I mean, few extra lbs isn't going to kill me or anything, but lightweight is just a little more handy, that's all.