Needs opinions

Moving back to San Diego in about 5 months and will be in the market for a new full size p/u truck. I plan on buying a toyhauler medium size 18'-25' or close to those numbers. The toy hauler will probably be a once a month thing if that. I haven't purchased a new vehicle in a while. I wondering whats good out there. That will suit my needs. American or Japanese, Diesel or Gasoline. Thanks for the input.

i had a 25' toy hauler, i pulled with my '02 Chevy 2500 Gasser....I really wish i would have bought the diesel. Toy Haulers are not Lite. If your wallet allows for it....Go Diesel.

Opinions vary. 3/4 ton 2500 series truck is the only way to go.

Since the thread is doomed to go here I might as well start it....

The only proper vehicle to pull a "huge" trailer like that is with at least a class 8 Pete with a twin turbo 550hp CAT!!!

:blah::ride::bonk:

Sorry,

but seriously for that size of trailer I feel more comfortable with a 3/4 ton plus pickup gas or diesel, a half ton would do it but I personally like a little more suspension and brakes than a half ton offers. Other questions how often will you drive the pickup? DD or only to tow? Budget? My dad has a V-10 dodge that only tows, rarely is it a DD unless another car is in the shop. He bought it brand new in 98 with it being like 7k less than a cummins (12-valve) and after almost 13 years it has a whopping 78k on it! with initial purchase price of diesel, mpg difference, cost of fuel difference, inflation, etc. he is at the break even point for a diesel being better from here on out. For him 13 years means no need for a diesel.

If I was to only tow with the pickup and not DD it unless another vehicle breaks I would look at a big block 3/4 ton or bigger pickup. Pick your flavor with lowest mileage and in the best shape, cant really go wrong with any of them!:thumbsup:

-mt-

With a toy hauler that big you need a minimum of this.

Actually, any 2500 will do, but there is nothing like the torque of a diesel when pulling over 4 tons.

I'm one quick to back the 1/2 ton truck from the would be haters....BUT I do agree that for TH's the 3/4 ton is the way to go with a few exceptions...

The weak area for 1/2 ton trucks is not their tow rating, but their payload ratings...My own truck is typical with a tow rating of over 9,000 lbs, but a payload rating of under 1,600 lbs. TH units have a LOT of tongue weight for their size and weight.

Where a TT would have say 600 lbs of tongue weight a similar size TH would be well over 800....doesn't sound like much, but a 21-24 ft TH can go higher then that real quick...

There are some lightweight units out there, but once you get past 21 ft the tongue weights are up there again...

This truck is gonna be a DD. I don't have enough extra scratch laying around to have more than one ride. I would even consider getting a smaller trailer as long as it still suits my needs. It's just me the wife some very large dogs and my toys. Mostly just dirt bikes. Are finding diesel pumps that much a pain? I need reliability and durability are my main concerns.

Since the thread is doomed to go here I might as well start it....

The only proper vehicle to pull a "huge" trailer like that is with at least a class 8 Pete with a twin turbo 550hp CAT!!!

:thumbsup::blah::ride:

I wouldn't pull a wet paper bag with a twin turbo cat....you'd be lucky if it pulled it without blowing up, and you'd be broke before you got there on fuel bills alone. :bonk:

This truck is gonna be a DD. I don't have enough extra scratch laying around to have more than one ride. I would even consider getting a smaller trailer as long as it still suits my needs. It's just me the wife some very large dogs and my toys. Mostly just dirt bikes. Are finding diesel pumps that much a pain? I need reliability and durability are my main concerns.

Diesel fuel is easy to come by, truckstops are all over with it. Just gotta plan farther ahead than the next off ramp is all.

If you have the space for it, I'd get a HD truck to pull the trailer, and keep the little gasser commuter car. In the end, you'll be money ahead, especially if gas goes back up to $5 like people are predicting. You don't need to spend big bucks to get a decent truck if you're not scared of minor repairs and maintenance.

I paid $3500 for this truck this spring, loaded with a conversion interior, not one thing wrong with the truck, new tires, all set up for towing-460 gas engine, 100k miles, runs like a charm.

HPIM1973.jpg

I will admit, I shopped long and hard for this one, about 7 months of looking.

I wouldn't pull a wet paper bag with a twin turbo cat....you'd be lucky if it pulled it without blowing up, and you'd be broke before you got there on fuel bills alone. :thumbsup:

Hey I hear you there but most guys get a third leg when talking about a twin turbo cat. My mechanic flat out refuses to work on a CAT so we will only buy a Detroit or a Cummins. As it sits now we have 3 N-14's and 3 ISX's all Cummins and all with 400-425hp. They do everything we need and get a lot better mileage than a twin turbo C-15!:blah:

Oh and to the OP I agree with CH if you can swing it the best thing would be to get a BB gasser and keep the commuter car, then you also have an extra vehicle in case something breaks. This is how my family has done it for over 10 years now, never a bad thing to have an extra vehicle.

-mt-

my vote is for 3/4 ton or larger, manual trans, big block, with a communter car. Even if you dont have enough money for both buy one cash and finance a cheap beater commuter. Then once things get better you can get a better commuter. If the commuter dies you can drive the nice tow rig for a bit until you can fix the commuter. Chickenhauler: that is a nice truck for the price. Perfect tow rig if you dont need 4wd. Put that truck in a place were you need 4wd and you have your hands full. years ago my dad bought a 6.9 diesel extended cab 2wd. It was a perfect tow rig. Until my commuter car died and I had to barrow it, in the winter. Nothing funner then driving a 2wd diesel pickup unloaded in the snow and ice.

Anywho keep your eyes open and you will find something nice.

Chickenhauler: that is a nice truck for the price. Perfect tow rig if you dont need 4wd. Put that truck in a place were you need 4wd and you have your hands full. years ago my dad bought a 6.9 diesel extended cab 2wd. It was a perfect tow rig. Until my commuter car died and I had to barrow it, in the winter. Nothing funner then driving a 2wd diesel pickup unloaded in the snow and ice.

If you think that's fun, try a 2wd dually on snow and ice. :thumbsup:

Actually, on snow it's pretty stable, ice it's like a plastic sled.

But, this time of year, it's tucked in the shed and the only way it's coming out to 'play' will be with the gooseneck on it's back....and the only way that's happening is if I find some killer deal on some machinery.

I got my rusty trusty 88 F150 4x4 for winter use.

I vote used gas 3/4 ton & commuter car. Since you're not going to be towing the trailer that often, a used gas 3/4 ton is probably going to be the most cost effective. Diesels are nice but cost too much to buy & maintain compared to gas. They arent the simple reliable engines like they used to be. There are probably more sensors & computer controlled functions to go wrong on a diesel than a gas engine these days.

i think you would be best with getting a 3/4 ton Duramax. You'll be getting up to 20 mpg and you have the power to tow anything. the Duramax's are good engines and the gm trucks aren't bad either. they have ifs, which would be the best for a DD as it would have the nicest ride.

Just my 2 cents

Modern half tons will tow close to 10,000 pounds. Your toyhauler at 18-25 feet is tiny, not huge. You said you will only use it once a month. Why drive a gas guzzling behemoth around when 99% of your missions could be handled by a car?

I was so happy when I got rid of my diesel. Noisy and rattling all of the time. Nothing tows heavy weight like a diesel, but your trailer will be light, and you don't tow it much.

Modern half tons will tow close to 10,000 pounds. Your toyhauler at 18-25 feet is tiny, not huge. You said you will only use it once a month. Why drive a gas guzzling behemoth around when 99% of your missions could be handled by a car?

I was so happy when I got rid of my diesel. Noisy and rattling all of the time. Nothing tows heavy weight like a diesel, but your trailer will be light, and you don't tow it much.

Have you ever scaled (not the imaginary published weight) a 25 ft TH?

Even empty, they're at or above the limits of a half ton. Toss in a bike, some groceries, a pillow, and the numbers rise fast.

10 K is pretty easy to get, and just because "they" say you can tow it with half ton doesnt mean you should. Let us know what your looking to spend. To me a beater cost 700 bucks and a really nice rig is 15K. My truck is "new" in my standerds and its 6 years old.

10 K is pretty easy to get, and just because "they" say you can tow it with half ton doesnt mean you should. Let us know what your looking to spend. To me a beater cost 700 bucks and a really nice rig is 15K. My truck is "new" in my standerds and its 6 years old.

$700 beaters are high buck beaters in my book.

My "beater" cost me a case of beer....so far, so good (about $200 in parts so far and it's still running).

Buy a heavier truck and a daily driver car.:excuseme:

I live in So Cal so tax and reregistering these monsters is going to take a huge hit from my spendig limit. A buddy of mine has a 3500 Dodge 4x4 it was going to cost him about $850 to register it for a year in Cali.

I've got a 08 tacoma 4x4 4door that i plan on having paid off so I can use it as a trade in. plus I will finance about another 20K. So I'm thinkin I'll have around 45K to play with. If everything works out as planned.

I had read that GMC stepped up there quality control program. Looked at a new 2500 Denali. Diesel will cost me an extra $7K and change.

i'd go for an older diesel truck, i pull our 26' TH with my 96 f250 powerstroke got it last may for $4500 with 174,000 on it, its also my daily driver. its very reliable and has tons of power/torque. maintnaince is pricey but its worth it.