Specialty tools needed for engine mod

Hey guy's

I looked for a similar thread couldn't find it, with that said if someone knows of one put it on here.

Ok I've got a 08 DRZ 400SM, and I want to do a little engine mod. The plan is to go with the; cylinder works 434 big bore kit, 4259 Hot Rods +5mm Stroker Crank, Hot cams stage1 eg. & int and a, Advantage Rev Box Max Ignition Advancer.

With that said I'm wondering what specialty tool I need to perches? I've got the OEM service manual for it and according to them there’s a lot of tools needed. In my experience with 2 stroke sleds, most of the tools that are in the book, you really don't need. Also if anyone knows of any aftermarket tools that will do the same thing, let me know. Thanks!

Suzuki tool list:

09920-53740 clutch sleeve hub holder

09930-31921 Rotor remover

09920-13120 cankcase seperating tool

09921-20220 bearing remover set

09913-70210 bearing installer set

09910-32812 crankshaft installer

09940-52861 crankshaft installer attachment

Edited by Sno-X racer
forgot a few things

youll need a flywheel puller,case splitter,bearing driver set.if doing the hotrods 5mm stroker crank go with rhc cams(187's)send the head to SSW aka Eddie for RHC +1mm bigger intake valves,RHC ex valves with a spring kit and the porting to go along with it

Where are you sourcing a 5mm stroker crank? They are not made any longer.

If your using that crank found someplace, you will need a stroker piston, or a cylinder spacer so you can use a standard piston. Contact SSW for the space if that is the direction you want to go.

The special tool list is what you need, or enough experience in some case to do the same job without them. Not knowing your ability levels.. I'd have to say you need the tools listed.

09920-53740 clutch sleeve hub holder

Make, buy Motion Pro.. Some use stuff crammed in gears to lock up the hub.. Not something I would do.

09930-31921 Rotor remover

Motion Pro makes one much cheaper then OEM,, and YES, you need this specific tool, no other will do.

09920-13120 crankcase separating tool

Make one, buy one... Some will tell you a hammer is an alternate tool.. to each his own.. Not on my motors or those I work on for others.

09921-20220 bearing remover set

Gona need this, any brand will do.

09913-70210 bearing installer set

Gona need this or a like tool.. Have a lathe, make um,, buy a cheap set if your only doing this once.

09910-32812 crankshaft installer

For most this is a good idea.... though,,, it can be done by heating the bearings and freezing the crank.... you get one shot at it,, then your stuck needing the tool to finish the job right.

09940-52861 crankshaft installer attachment

see above

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Didn’t know what I was getting myself into on this one!

Basically I’m interested in doing some engine mods, I was intrigued with, what Langston Racing has to offer http://www.langstonracing.com/eshopprod_cat_3652-34966_product_973444.469cc_Black_Mamba_Big_Bore_Kit.htm (Not advertising for them), They call there kit the black Mamba. I like what they offer for the price and I think (don’t quote me) the kit comes with a different piston. Also since two of you including eddy said hot cams are not suitable for this kit, what should I look into instead?

To answer E.Marquez I’ve raced snow cross for over ten years, I have rebuilt many ski-doo 2 stroke motors, but this drz 4 stroke is a new thing for me. I would bring my bike to someone, but I’m so dam anal with my machines. I buy my sleds in the crate, and the only person that has put there hands on them is the factory and me!

You will need the RHC187 cams , and a valve-kit from Eddie.

I would send the cylinder head to him to get the valves done, and degreeing the cams.

If you spend so much money on the engine, you should also change the exhausts and get a new carb(fcr41mm) for your setup.

Sounds like your after a good deal and have a plan ?

I would contact langston and ask them if they have a 5mm Hotrods stroker crank ready to ship... As that part was supposedly no longer available. There is something still listed on there web site though,, so who knows.

I would not use a stroker piston.... if going with a 5mm crank. use a cylinder spacer and standard DRZ style piston. OR.. Just use a 4mm Hot Rods crank and standard design piston.

RHC 187 cams are a better fit for you build, or you could get by with a good used set of HotCams stage II cams... but they are no longer made new.

My choice to build a new BIG BORE stroked SM street or track engine would .

Cylinder works 94mm BB kit ($400)

4mm Hot Rods stroker crank ($375)

Hot Rods main bearing and seal kit

then add

Head refresh W/ RHC valves, springs, retainers (go for some port work and larger IN valves if it's in your budget)

RHC 187 cams

41mm FCR

All transmission bearings checked and replaced as needed.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Didn’t know what I was getting myself into on this one!

Basically I’m interested in doing some engine mods, I was intrigued with, what Langston Racing has to offer http://www.langstonracing.com/eshopprod_cat_3652-34966_product_973444.469cc_Black_Mamba_Big_Bore_Kit.htm (Not advertising for them), They call there kit the black Mamba. I like what they offer for the price and I think (don’t quote me) the kit comes with a different piston. Also since two of you including eddy said hot cams are not suitable for this kit, what should I look into instead?

To answer E.Marquez I’ve raced snow cross for over ten years, I have rebuilt many ski-doo 2 stroke motors, but this drz 4 stroke is a new thing for me. I would bring my bike to someone, but I’m so dam anal with my machines. I buy my sleds in the crate, and the only person that has put there hands on them is the factory and me!

email me and i will set you up with the proper stuff.

This is what you need to do.

What sucks though is I never get on this site anymore, and when I do I see Eddies signature with a bike I'd love to have in it, then I read that it's sold. Just my luck. I need to get on here more often.