Has anyone ever put a dr650 engine in a lighter bike?

Took a friends DRZ400 for a spin recently. I was looking at side by side with my 650 thinking that a 650 engine in the 400 chassis "might" make for an interesting and lighter bike. I'm in love with the torque of the big engine and think it'd be great in a lighter chassis. Anyone ever tried it? On a DRZ or anything else?

And yeah I'm a tinkerer who does stuff like this a lot.... even if it doesn't really make all that much sense. :thumbsup:

Took a friends DRZ400 for a spin recently. I was looking at side by side with my 650 thinking that a 650 engine in the 400 chassis "might" make for an interesting and lighter bike. I'm in love with the torque of the big engine and think it'd be great in a lighter chassis. Anyone ever tried it? On a DRZ or anything else?

And yeah I'm a tinkerer who does stuff like this a lot.... even if it doesn't really make all that much sense. :thumbsup:

Most of the weight difference between the 400 and 650 is in the motor.

Most of the weight difference between the 400 and 650 is in the motor.

Yeah I sort of figured that after looking at them next to each other. The chassis are pretty similarly designed. What about a motocross bike?

I've been intrigued with what Drjoe did; cutting off his subframe, building mounts and using a drz400e subframe. Said it was about 8 lbs of weight saved. A couple of pounds with plastic tank, 10 lbs off the exhaust, 6lbs off battery and then 8 off the subframe. It adds up..

I have a lightweight avenger wiith a tt250 motor that I was having trouble with, and I had a dr650 andd I thought I would try to put it in the avenger,but after pulling the Dr motor I backed off because of the weight 105lbs sizewise it probably would have fit but I just didn,t want to deal with the weight,

How about just making the 400 a bigger bike? Right now there's a 470 kit out there that will definitely put a smile on anyones face. Talk to Eddie on the jetting or DRZ400 forum for details.

Nahh.. 400's not my "thing". I'm hooked on the torque... just not the weight.

I've been intrigued with what Drjoe did; cutting off his subframe, building mounts and using a drz400e subframe. Said it was about 8 lbs of weight saved. A couple of pounds with plastic tank, 10 lbs off the exhaust, 6lbs off battery and then 8 off the subframe. It adds up..

Is there a detailed write-up of this? I'm interested!!