Sign in to follow this  

'02 CR250 shock question

I bought an '02 CR250 several months ago to ride on occasion and it had a custom Ohlins rear shock fitted. Honestly I wasn't terribly impressed with it, especially last weekend when it blew out and lost all damping. It'll cost far more to have this thing rebuilt and serviced than to just go back stock. So I'm looking to replace it with the standard KYB setup but I'm having trouble finding one. eBay has them on occasion but there are multiples listed as CR125 shocks. Obvious question, is that the same shock? I imagine it should be but you never know until you ask. :thumbsup:

I have a really low hour 2002 CR250R rear shock in great condition that I recently took off of my bike. I replaced it with a 2004 CRF250X shock for trail riding instead of getting the stock one revalved. I would be willing to trade you for the OEM Showa shock for your Ohlins shock if it's externally in great condition. Please PM me with pics. I can do the same if interested.

fyi-CR250's come stock with Showa shocks.

Jay

Edited by jleblanc321

lets see you blew an ohlins in a ride or two? i assume you either got this used with the bike or well for the wrong application thus the horrible performance. if the shock was already having issues, it would explain a lot

yes stock CR250s have the Showa shocks and forks. So finding a KYB will not be the correct shock. The stock showa can be made to work excellent! I have mine revalved from Dave at smart peformance and am super happy with it. best shock setup I have run. even better than the custom setup I came up with. But I have run ohlins on previous bikes and they worked awesome also.

Whoops, promise I did meant Showa. I have an 09 450 so I keep thinking of KYB these days. Obviously the bike is used being an 02, and the Ohlins is equally used I'd imagine. It blew up after about 10 rides, but it did so while riding and now I'd just rather stick with stock components that have never done that to me. I have plans on revalving the stocker I get next before the bike gets ridden again.

I'll pull the shock and get pictures within the next few days.

Shawn, I have a brand new 08 CRF450 shock that I'll sell you if it fits. Don't know it the lengths are the same, or not. It's approx 19.25" center to center.

Cam

The closest CRF450 that would fit the 02 CR250 is the 2007 CRF 450 showa. with a Length of 489mm/stroke 135 compared to a 02-03CR250 488/134.5 - (mog has a good post with all the lengths, Ill try to dig up.)

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=778648&highlight=

Theres another thread Ive been trying to find but no joy yet. It seems like 10 mm is the largest mismatch between model years, and I think thats result of different clevis lengths.

My 08 shock is 489mm so it sounds like it might work on a 2002 CR250.

I bought an '02 CR250 several months ago to ride on occasion and it had a custom Ohlins rear shock fitted. Honestly I wasn't terribly impressed with it, especially last weekend when it blew out and lost all damping. It'll cost far more to have this thing rebuilt and serviced than to just go back stock. So I'm looking to replace it with the standard KYB setup but I'm having trouble finding one. eBay has them on occasion but there are multiples listed as CR125 shocks. Obvious question, is that the same shock? I imagine it should be but you never know until you ask. :blah:

You would be stupid to trade an Ohlins for a stock showa. The CR125 only used KYB, and would be valved and sprung wrong for the 250.

Send the shock in and get it rebuilt by a qualified ohlins technician.:thumbsup:

You would be stupid to trade an Ohlins for a stock showa. The CR125 only used KYB, and would be valved and sprung wrong for the 250.

Send the shock in and get it rebuilt by a qualified ohlins technician.:thumbsup:

I'm not that big of a brand name hound. I'm an aggressive rider that puts motos down on fairly rough MX tracks and frankly I couldn't get the Ohlins to do what I wanted. It's great if I want a plush trail bike (which is what the original owner wanted), but I like my bikes stiff and responsive, especially in the initial part of the stroke which is what the Ohlins wasn't doing for me. I know the Showa can get me there and for less money. Plus the local shops I'd look to for valving know Showa/KYB. I'd have to send this Ohlins off to someone with a vague explanation of what I want and hope they can do it.

I LOLed when i saw what you wanted to do. Send it off to get revalved and rebuilt. Win

Ohlins is over rated. Knowing Shawn and the suspension shops we have available in DFW, I think he has the right idea.