Sign in to follow this  

Should I install new valve shims?

I finally got around to checking my valves on my 2004 DRZ400S with 10,000 kms and here are the readings:

Exhaust side: both 20mm (spec says 20 to 30mm)

Intake side: 10mm and 15mm (spec says 10 to 20mm)

Should I replace shims now as they are (just) still within spec? If so what size shims will I need? I assume original are OEM as I bought bike with only 3000 kms on it. Is it unusual that I would have two different readings on the intake? If I replace both intake intake shims I assume I will need different sizes.

I don't want to check the valves again until this time next winter when I bring the bike into the basement to store.

Thanks for your help.

Nick

You have to check the current shims to know what is installed.. There is no "OEM Standard"

Should you change um??? Well I would and other would not.... it's pretty simple to do,,,,, might as well remove the cams check the shims in there now.. get a base line.. order the next set of shims needed.. and install when you have an hour to play.

If you're at the tight end of spec on any of the valves, I would shim all of the valves to the looser side of spec and not worry about it for a good long time. Any decent dealership will swap shims with you.

. Any decent dealership will swap shims with you.

Shims to be swapped are owned by the service department.. many times by the techs them selfs.. Assuming or expecting them to swap your property for theres is more then I would count on.

Will some? yes... absolutely, most do not though. For a myriad of reasons..

Nothing wrong with asking :thumbsup: but the quality of the shop has nothing to do with them giving away service or property

If it was just the intake I'd let it ride but both ex on the min I'd reshim.

Shims to be swapped are owned by the service department.. many times by the techs them selfs.. Assuming or expecting them to swap your property for theres is more then I would count on.

Will some? yes... absolutely, most do not though. For a myriad of reasons..

Nothing wrong with asking :thumbsup: but the quality of the shop has nothing to do with them giving away service or property

I wouldn't patronize a dealership that didn't swap shims. I also wouldn't patronize a dealership that made the techs supply the shims. Just sayin'.

I wouldn't patronize a dealership that didn't swap shims. I also wouldn't patronize a dealership that made the techs supply the shims. Just sayin'.

this is 9 out of 10 shops.

ive never worked in a shop that owned shims. i own thousands of dollars in shims to avoid waiting while the parts dept orders them.

i swap people shims most of the time but i would not expect a shop to swap shims always. if they do,great but you will find its not the norm any more.