Sign in to follow this  

California Stonyford Closed til Dec. 17?

Just an FYI that BRC has been working on the new Mendocino Wet Weather Closure policy and talked with the Forest Supervisor today about how these extended closures are not warrented.

I posted a blog on Nov. 29 (with a link to a Nov. 15 BRC letter about the new "Policy") that has the Forest contact info to get signed up for wet weather closure alerts

http://thegeneralsrecreationden.blogspot.com/2010/11/new-mendocino-nf-wet-weather-ohv-policy.html

Be assured that I have this issue as one of my highest priorities this week. Not a good way to start the winter riding season on the Mendocino.

Thanks,

Don

Here is the Dec. 7 News Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Grindstone Ranger District OHV trail system remains closed

WILLOWS, Calif. – The Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) trail system on the Grindstone Ranger District of the Mendocino National Forest will remain closed to vehicle traffic through Friday, December 17.

The closure is in addition to the OHV trail closure on the Upper Lake Ranger District, which also goes through December 17.

The closure on the Grindstone Ranger District is due to the recent storms that left the trails saturated. An assessment of the trail system by OHV technicians and managers lead to the recommendation that the OHV trail system on the District remain closed through December 17, conditions permitting. The trails are scheduled to reopen the morning of Saturday, December 18. If conditions improve, the closure order could be lifted earlier.

As the winter storm season starts and wet weather becomes more common, visitors planning OHV trips to the Forest are encouraged to visit the Mendocino National Forest web site at www.fs.usda.gov/mendocino, or to call the Forest at 530-934-3316 to verify that trails are open before travelling.

Using the trails in their current condition would result in damage not only to the trails, but would also impact other resources including soils, water quality, and wildlife habitat.

“We appreciate the public’s understanding and cooperation with continuing the temporary OHV trail system closure on the Grindstone Ranger District,” said Forest Supervisor Tom Contreras. “By closing the trails now and preventing further damage, we are reducing the risk of longer closures for costly repairs and restoration efforts. Waiting for conditions to improve and the trails to dry out will help us continue to provide quality recreation areas for OHV riders.”

The Emergency Trail Closure for the Mendocino National Forest is formally referenced under Order Number 08-10-11.

Violation of this closure order is punishable by a fine of no more than $5,000 for an individual, $10,000 for an organization, or up to six months imprisonment or both.

For more information, please contact the Mendocino National Forest at 530-934-3316 or visit www.fs.usda.gov/mendocino.

• Like 1

Thank you sir!

These 'extended' closures are really annoying especially when they go far beyond the stated policy. I can understand an exception for a very severe storm, but this is already the second time this season the USFS has done this...

Agreed. It does not make much sense. Will work hard to get it squared away.

Have a Merry Christmas!

Don

Thanks Kid!?

Damn! I was gettin all excited!

I hate all you guys!

Ugh!

Edited by superslyko

this is just the beginning, it will not get better. All they have to do now is get the summer dust readings as bad for our health.............then its year round closure

this is just the beginning, it will not get better. All they have to do now is get the summer dust readings as bad for our health.............then its year round closure

I was thinking about buying a new bike this year but spending $9,000 on something I can't use doesn't seem like a good financial decision !!!:thumbsup:

Can't understand why motorcycle companies do not THROW money at this issue !! No place to ride = no bike sales .

Can someone explain who is making these 10 day closers ? I rode Stony last Wed. and it was awesome - as usual !:blah:

this land is my land, this land is your land... oh wait, it's sierra club, CBD, suwa, Ted turner's, green peace, elf... it's theirs, not ours.

FYI - contained in the order is a clause that will allow them to re-open trail system if there is a suficient dryout period.

There is a small chance of re-opening; just have to keep checking by calling. I'll be calling Friday & Saturday afternoon for possibility of riding Saturday or Sunday if they open otherwise we are going somewhere else to ride.

Weather is supposed to be warm by Saturday, 50s in the Tahoe area.....

Lets all hope....

I called tonight just to see.......the lady on the phone actually laughed when I asked about riding anywhere up there. She chuckled anyhow not a full on laugh but geeze man what gives? She also said it would be closed until the 18th at this point. I asked her about the 48 hr. dry out and again she chuckled and asked where i had heard that, I said I had read on the website awhile back (I swear I did) and she kinda sounded like she didnt believe me.Please rain go away!!!!!!!!!

I just went to the website and cant find it anywhere. Maybe Iam crazy! But it does state it on my 2009 map.

I called tonight just to see.......the lady on the phone actually laughed when I asked about riding anywhere up there. She chuckled anyhow not a full on laugh but geeze man what gives?

Wow...What a condescending *****

with globle warming and all the snow and rain coming in this next week it gona be closed for a while, im heading south for my winter riding