i could really use some help from someone who knows a thing or two about suspension!!

kay so heres the deal. I have an 07 rmz250, and the rear suspension ( to me ) seemed that the spring was bagged out and i needed a new one. I got a new race tech spring, installed it. and IT DID NOTHING!

When my bike is sitting on level ground the rear end sags, and if you sit on it it barely moves, as if there is no suspension on it what so ever. Someone PLEASE help me. i have no clue what is wrong with my suspension

i was kinda thinking that but im no expert lol. Do you know how much it would cost to recharge it or w.e?

if you sit on it it barely moves

didnt catch that part. im no expert either but no nitrogen would mean it would be really soft. im not sure if its possible but it sounds like ports going into the resivoir got plugged or something like that that is blocking oil flow throughout the shock

but i could be wrong. i only have a few experiences rebuilding suspension. just my first thoughts

when i said it barely moves.. i mean like. When you sit on the bike, it doesn't go down at all because the suspension is already down, the problem is it wont come back up. Even with a brand new spring. when its on the triangle stand next to other bikes the back end looks about an inch or 2 lower then the others because of the suspension. I hope it wont cost too much to fix

that almost definatly sounds like linkage or swingarm bearings, springs dont really wear out.

that almost definatly sounds like linkage or swingarm bearings, springs dont really wear out.

:thumbsup:

Or the linkage can be over torqued.

When you put it on an engine stand does the wheel drop? If not, try to pry the wheel down (don't break anything) - if it doesn't move up and down by weighting/unweighting, something is stuck. Check for objects between the swing arm and case. May also want to look at your chain - make sure it's not as tight as a banjo string. Linkage bearings on an '07 shouldn't be destroyed to the point that they won't move unless there was significant damage to them (bent or a rock wedged into it). Overtightening the bolts/nuts on the linkage should just compress to the pivot collars, not compress all the way into the linkage parts or bearings.

Take the rear wheel and shock off. Check for free movement of your linkage and swingarm. If the swingarm is hanging up, loosen your linkage bolts one at a time to see which one frees things up. Loosen your swingarm pivot bolt last. The last one you loosen would be the culprit.

If the swingarm and linkage work normally, it's your shock. A bent shock shaft could do what you are describing.

and 07 is years old now, it could well be very rusty and seized if its been pressure washed and not greased.

Take the rear wheel and shock off. Check for free movement of your linkage and swingarm. If the swingarm is hanging up, loosen your linkage bolts one at a time to see which one frees things up. Loosen your swingarm pivot bolt last. The last one you loosen would be the culprit.

If the swingarm and linkage work normally, it's your shock. A bent shock shaft could do what you are describing.

I took the shock and all that out then pushed and pulled on the tire. i can move it down and up but i requires force. then if i let go it just stays in the same spot i pushed or pulled it too (not sure if that's how its supposed to work with no shock).

I took the spring off the shock and here is what i think is wrong. The actuall shock it self seems siezed or something. Even when the spring isnt on it i cannot move the rod in the shock at all.

With your shock off the bike completely, the rear tire should move VERY freely up and want to drop down with no push at all. Resistance wise it would feel like turning your bars while on the stand just to give you an idea.

How hard are you having to press or pull on the rear tire to make it move?

you need to take the linkage out and take the seals out and look at the needle bearings in there. I'd bet they are completely rusted. you will need to install new linkage bearings. then pull the swingarm bolt and check the swing arm bearings. Be prepared to drive the bolt out and you may ruin it when you do that. I just had a crf150 that was so seized up I had to drive it out with a ten pound hammer. Had to put a new bolt on cost me thirteen bucks. But good as new now.

With your shock off the bike completely, the rear tire should move VERY freely up and want to drop down with no push at all. Resistance wise it would feel like turning your bars while on the stand just to give you an idea.

How hard are you having to press or pull on the rear tire to make it move?

I can move it freely up about 4 inches, and it drops. but to make it lower or higher than 4 inches requires me to really work it. Thats probably normal? but when i first looked at it i was thinking it should move like a foot up and down when theres no spring in it. Im not exactly keen on the whole suspension side of things

Regardless of what you have going on in your linkage and bearings you should be able to compress the shock with the spring off and have it rebound fully in 3 seconds.

Regardless of what you have going on in your linkage and bearings you should be able to compress the shock with the spring off and have it rebound fully in 3 seconds.

yeah i deffinitly have a problem then. pushing on the shock with all my force barly moves it. and then it doesnt even rebound.

yeah i deffinitly have a problem then. pushing on the shock with all my force barly moves it. and then it doesnt even rebound.

Looks like it is time for a rebuild.

the shock will only move freely with no spring, IF you have the clickers turned all the way out, with the rebound at say 6(which works best on the rmz) it will be very hard to compress, it will take your full body weight.

It's doubtful that your shock and linkage bearings are both bad. It sounds like it's your linkage and/or swingarm bearings. Take it all apart and figure out what's bad. It should be more than obvious.

Getting it apart is easy but, getting the bearings out requires that you use a press or tap them out with the correct size driver (I know, most of us just use sockets but I can hear the complaints already).

If you don't know much about this, come back to us and we'll help you get it apart. Or, you could just take it to a shop and have them replace stuff.

First, get it apart and figure out what's wrong.

It's doubtful that your shock and linkage bearings are both bad. It sounds like it's your linkage and/or swingarm bearings. Take it all apart and figure out what's bad. It should be more than obvious.

Getting it apart is easy but, getting the bearings out requires that you use a press or tap them out with the correct size driver (I know, most of us just use sockets but I can hear the complaints already).

If you don't know much about this, come back to us and we'll help you get it apart. Or, you could just take it to a shop and have them replace stuff.

First, get it apart and figure out what's wrong.

I took the shock out and took it into the local bike shop. The mechanic said there's definitely something wrong with the shock. Ill be getting a call back today telling me whats wrong with it. Then once that's fixed ill install it and if the bike still feels weird ill go for the linkage and swingarm :thumbsup: