Sign in to follow this  

Radiator Coolant Basic Maintenance

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=700136

Did the white vinegar thing on the used YZ I'm going through. Got 16 oz. of vinegar at the grocery store, dumped it all in on top of a bit of distilled water, then topped it off with distilled water. Ran it until the left-side upper radiator tank that the head discharges against cleared 100F. On the first drain, I noticed that a lot of the plating on the brand new drain bolt seemed to have been stripped where it had contacted the mixture. This is definitely aggressively cleaning.

Remember that most sacrificial anti-corrosion coatings (zinc-laden, in particular) are going to have very little resistance to acid attack. My neighbor's BMW brake calipers came with some of the best anti-corrosion coating in the world on them, but the stealership's detailer has destroyed it with acidic wheel cleaners.

Might try 1/2 pint of vinegar if I feel a need to do this again.

If you maintain your coolant system regularly then you really shouldn't have the need for any type of acidic cleaners. I use distilled water for regular flushing. Drain, fill with distilled only, run engine up to temp, drain, refill with the proper coolant/distilled water mix, cap it, and ride for another year. I haven't had any corrosion problems.

The only time I would ever use an acidic cleaner/flush is if I notice corrosion in the system. Otherwise, forget about it as it can do more harm than good IMO.

I have been using Engine Ice Coolant for years, the only time I ever replace it is when I do a top end re-build, never had any problems with corrosion and the Engine Ice comes already diluted, just open bottle and pour it in......requires no additional distilled water...awesome stuff, worth a try.

I have been using Engine Ice Coolant for years, the only time I ever replace it is when I do a top end re-build, never had any problems with corrosion and the Engine Ice comes already diluted, just open bottle and pour it in......requires no additional distilled water...awesome stuff, worth a try.

Love the Engine Ice.

im puting new radiators on my bike and want to put engine ice coolant in but want to know how to get the the old coolant completely out with out mixing the two? what do i do to

Fill your engine when distilled water only. Run it, by that I mean actually ride it, for a while getting the engine to full temp. Let cool enough that it is safe to drain and then drain it. Repeat one more time and then put in your Engine Ice. Done!

Of course, my way is a little extreme but I don't ever have problems with my cooling systems. My years as an auto mechanic and switching vehicles to the newer coolants has paid off. Even the times where I had to fix customer's cars because they ignorantly mixed the different coolants has taught me a lot. :excuseme:

I would personally never use vinegar, it is pretty damn corrosive stuff, especially if left for a period of time without rinsing with water. I used to do a lot of big structural steel projects and people love the rusted look here in Az so I developed my own solution to quickly rust steel. After much trial and error the mix i use is actually 75% vinegar and it rusts the hell out of stuff EXTREMELY QUICK. Take a look at this pic...see that rusted 4x8 sheet framed into this structure I built, that was a perfectly clean cnc cut piece of steel 16 hours before this pic was taken, that how harsh my solution is on steel and as I said its more than half vinegar and the other chemicals are nothing special, its mainly the vinegar that does it. No way im putting vinegar anywhere in my bike lol

gazeebo2.jpg

i agree with NO vinegar.

as an automechanic, i've probably dealt with more coolant changes than anyone would ever care to. i've had experience with changing the coolant on some of my customers cars for 200,000 miles. all we recommend (kia) is a drain and fill. no flush. just drain as much out that comes out, then fill with proper 50/50 mixture of ethelyn glycol and water. i dont even use distilled water. you can argue all you want, i do this for a living and have experienced the results with no failures yet. as long as you change your coolant out, you shouldn't have a problem. i'd recommend once a year. theres no excuse not to... its only $20 max and an hour of your time. never run strait water for a long period of time. flushing with strait water is fine, but coolant does have lubricating and anti corrosive properties.

i also believe heavily in using kia brand coolant. its different than any standard green coolant i've ever seen (its really dark green and actually has a semi pleasant odor). i believe it lasts longer and i use it in every bike and car i own except my buell... because thats cooled by atmosphere :excuseme: