Looking for a 125

I did a search and dident come up with awnsers I was looking for as far as the CR125, Found out plenty of info on KTM and YZ. I havent been on a 125 since 1992 - 1993. I had a 2010 KTM250sx and sold it due to my 2010 crf getting stolen so it would help pay for my new 2011 crf 450 wich is my race bike. In mx. The KTM I dident really like cause the suspension never felt good to me and it was set up for me. so kinda looking for CR,YZ,RM,KX.

The 125 is just a play bike and for freeride woods, track, any nasty days where I dont want to hurt my 450 and not put xtra hours on it so it last longer. I have put way to much money in bikes recently.

so Iam going to make this 125 nice however its a play bike, but was wondering if the CR's are strong engine wise I heard some early ones were weak I did read a few post that stated that. Couple I have my eye on is a 2007 CR for 2200. a 2006 YZ for 2000. and there are a couple ktm's that are 2007 for 2300 to 2500. However I dident like my 2010 250 sx so doubt I like the 2007.

I know how to ride so basicly since its been along time since Ive been on a 125 was wondering what are some of the good years. and I would prefer Honda or Yamaha. The yz if I researched correctly 2005 and up should be ok right guys. CR I didnet locate much info on and that is mostly my question what CR is a good buy. years wise.

Thanks J44

Awesome, I am also looking for a good one cheap. Just gotta look everywhere. If you were trying to buy a Honda to give the 450 a younger sibling, try and find a good 05-07 CR 125. That 07 you have looked at would be a good buy if it is in good condition. If you were still considering a Yamaha, the 05 - 11 YZ125's are great, and while the 06 was the first with the twin chamber forks, being a playbike, an 05 would still do its job well.

A couple of questions though. Why didnt you like the 250SX? Was it purely the suspension/chassis? Or did you not like the power delivery. You have to ride a 125 in the exact opposite way you ride a 450. You can definitely improve your riding on the 450 by getting out and being aggressive on a 125, but you have to be in the right frame of mind. You have to have the throttle pegged most of the time, use a lot of body english, and be 100% committed. This is super fun, but very unlike riding a 450.

Awesome, I am also looking for a good one cheap. Just gotta look everywhere. If you were trying to buy a Honda to give the 450 a younger sibling, try and find a good 05-07 CR 125. That 07 you have looked at would be a good buy if it is in good condition. If you were still considering a Yamaha, the 05 - 11 YZ125's are great, and while the 06 was the first with the twin chamber forks, being a playbike, an 05 would still do its job well.

A couple of questions though. Why didnt you like the 250SX? Was it purely the suspension/chassis? Or did you not like the power delivery. You have to ride a 125 in the exact opposite way you ride a 450. You can definitely improve your riding on the 450 by getting out and being aggressive on a 125, but you have to be in the right frame of mind. You have to have the throttle pegged most of the time, use a lot of body english, and be 100% committed. This is super fun, but very unlike riding a 450.

Yea when i say havent been on one mean racing. Ive been racing 2502t 250f and 450's. Ive played around on some buddies 125's but never kept track of whats updated whats not and its only been few rides here and there. now that iam looking for a used one just trying to see whats good out there in last so many years.

As far as the 250sx, Its a really well made bike and power delevery was impressive. but The guy who does my suspensions for my bikes we could never get me situated. it was to hard to plush could of been him not working with alot of ktms, but it put a bad taste in my mouth and hes good with suspension. So when my 450 got stolen I put it up for sale and got 700 lower than what I paid so took it. Iam just stand offish of getting another but that 07 125 is clean and nice bro.

I thought 05 was the first year they came out with the SSS forks, in 06 and 07 they made changes to make them better, but 05 is still a great bike. I agree tho, get a Yamaha.

Here is a question then, Iam starting to lean towards yamaha but i got 2 months befor i get home from deployment. 144 gytr kit is it good ill research it but just thought of it while reading ur responses. I never used big bore kit but heard some sketchy things about them. Do you think thats a good mod. kinda fun looking for a bike your out of the loop on. most of time know what i want right off the bat, except the 250sx my last several bikes been 450f and 250f's

Here is a question then, Iam starting to lean towards yamaha but i got 2 months befor i get home from deployment. 144 gytr kit is it good ill research it but just thought of it while reading ur responses. I never used big bore kit but heard some sketchy things about them. Do you think thats a good mod. kinda fun looking for a bike your out of the loop on. most of time know what i want right off the bat, except the 250sx my last several bikes been 450f and 250f's

A standard 125 is an absolute blast. Definitely ride it stock before considering oversizing. If you do decide to do the big bore thing, give Eric Gorr a call, and organise him to do it. The guy is amazing, and will give you what you want. The GYTR kit is an Athena kit, and is not all that good. You can make it good, but you have to spend more money on top of the purchase price. They are also prone to having problems with head gaskets not sealing. Eric's kit continues to use OEM gaskets.

I own 2 Yz125's, an 04 and a 06, and ill tell you they are amazing bikes, I do my own forks and pretty much all engine work unless I don't have time, I've ridden a 05-07 Cr125, and the power didnt even compare to my Yz, if you want smthing better for trails and u can stilll jump high I would go for an 04 Yz125, steel frame, just an all around great bike, and honestly you cant tell too much difference between steel and aluminum, although if I were you I would go for the 06 Yz125, I love mine tons and its so much more "flickable", plus you can go a month without cranking it and it'll crank 3rd kick cold, apposed to the cr's which will be about the 30th

Yea I have my eye on a 06,In the pics it looks pretty clean. Iam hoping its still there when I get back so I can check her out. Swapper yea Iam not doing that 144 off the bat just nice additon for a 125 these days. but Ive heard like you stated not so good things about them kits. If that was a option Ill stick to Gore if I ever decide to do a mod like that.

bought an mint 02 cr 125 a couple of days ago and i love the thing it rips.... although i fouled a plug only because its 20 degrees out, i left the choke on too long, and i was running bad gas lol but yeah i love the bike it rips if your looking for something with great power and reliability get a honda