Sign in to follow this  

RMZ250 headshake

Hey there,

I have a friend who complains about massive headshake on his '09 RMZ 250. I offered him to take a look into it. For him to get it done, for me to gain knowledge.

So here's the problem: His bike ist stock, he is 5'9", weighs 145lbs, intermediate rider, only hardpack. When he shuts off the gas in 4th/5th gear, the headshake starts on the straights.

His springs should be fine for him. He rode with sth. like 98mm of sag, which is too little in my opinion and told him to increase it to 105mm. Because it's the only area he has problems with, I don't think it's an internal problem, just a matter of proper setup. I would rule out valving changes. I'm going to take the forls apart and rebuild them for him, anyway.

What do you guys think?

does he have std springs, if so they are not correct for him, as his free sag would tell us.

does he have std springs, if so they are not correct for him, as his free sag would tell us.

It's all std. I told him to double-check his sag numbers.

I am 165lb and a 5.0 is spot on for sag numbers , he will need something like a 4.7 0.42 forks.

Like was already said lighter springs would be a good move but also check his rear reb, maybe too fast and unloading when he shuts off the gas. Also like you said a lower rear sag would help. If that doesnt do it all the way try increasing comp on the forks.

Hey there,

I have a friend who complains about massive headshake on his '09 RMZ 250. I offered him to take a look into it. For him to get it done, for me to gain knowledge.

So here's the problem: His bike ist stock, he is 5'9", weighs 145lbs, intermediate rider, only hardpack. When he shuts off the gas in 4th/5th gear, the headshake starts on the straights.

His springs should be fine for him. He rode with sth. like 98mm of sag, which is too little in my opinion and told him to increase it to 105mm. Because it's the only area he has problems with, I don't think it's an internal problem, just a matter of proper setup. I would rule out valving changes. I'm going to take the forls apart and rebuild them for him, anyway.

What do you guys think?

Can we overall say headshake is more a geometry problem, rather than a damping issue? I think so.

I also mentioned to him triple clamps with less offset would help, but that's costly.

not really, a well setup bike can headshale with the clickers set badly.

Just in case you guys have not checked make sure he is installing and tightening the axle and fork pinch bolts in the right order.

I had a case of headshake on my yz250 that was so bad it was scary to ride above about 20 mph.

Turned out that I was pulling the right (throttle) side fork leg into the center when tightening the axle nut.

Even if it isnt bad enough to cause headshake like mine was it will cause poor fork performance. I cant over state how bad my headshake was and it was all caused by the wrong axel instal process.

yes he needs to get the right springs first. He needs the springs mog stated.