Sign in to follow this  

do i go 250 or 450? Whick make and model!? Arrgh need advice!!!

Hello everyone, I would like to know what is best all around but more importantly, which has the least issues?

I just sold my xr250 and want to step up to a 450 but everyone keeps scaring me out of it. (even though i loved the 06' crf450r and felt quite comfortable) and would like to know which bike(and year) has the least issues in all the 450class.

[All Biased and unbiased opinions and criticism welcome! (as long as you can tell me why)]

I dont know whether to go mx or trail 450/250 let alone which make. Recently, I do mostly face paced desert with the occasional, but quite technical, trails.

Im a decent rider, faster than average but about average. 5'11'' 195lbs(no gear)

I would like to know what is best all around but more importantly, which has the least issues?

Thanks alot!

Edited by DesrtRyder7

the one you maintain the most thoroughly :thumbsup: seriously, from what i've seen around the boards, the yamaha seems to be the most reliable.

I love my 06 CRF450R for the woods, much better than my 04 CFR250X, even after a Hotcam, full exhaust and every mod I could put into it. Haven't had any issues mechanically and I have heard that the 06 is one of the best all-around years of the CRF. If not Honda, the Yami YZ and WR 450s are pretty tough bikes with few issues. At 195 lbs and desert use, I'd for sure go 450, you're gonna work the heck out of a 250 and have more wear on the bike as well.

Sorry, should have made myself more clear on my previous reply... don't buy honda dirt bikes with a unicam. You will spend most of your time and money working on the valves.