Sign in to follow this  

shoei vs airoh

Personally, I would opt for the airoh, which is an acu gold certified helmet. This should be the equiv of ece2205 cert. Now when and if airoh and the acu goes to the five star rating system, and includes snell standards for the full five stars, then I'd prob opt for the shoei, because if I'm going to have to pick between two overly stiff snell rated helmets I want the cooler looking one. Now when shoei finally goes snell 2010 then if I had a small or xs sized noggin I'd be first in line to buy that shoei, since these sizes will see a change in construction that could limit g forces better, and be on par with ece specs. :thumbsup:

Caveat- acu has been criticized for selling stickers to mfg that don't conform to safety standards. It has been reported they have discontinued this practice to regain consumer confidence. Buyer beware..

I really dont know much about the Airoh. I have been wearing the Shoei VFX-W for two years now....and love it. I am a big Shoei fan....I also wear a Shoei RF1000 on the street. Maybe some TT members that have an Airoh will make some post about it......I would love to know about those helmets too......

You just answered your own question.Shoei. Like you said it is more comfortable and that is very important for the big bucks it cost. Comfort is everything.!

I have both, I just got the airoh stelt for $440 shipped dirtbike express on ebay. Both helmets are comfortable but the weight of the airoh is simply amazing, I just can't believe how light it is. I wear L in shoei, arai, agv and i got a L in airoh, it's fit is almost perfect, just a little tight but it is not broken in yet. I will probably always get an airoh in the future, already saving for the new aviator.

Depends on your head really. I own both Arai VX-3 and Shoei VFX-W (used to have Airoh Stelt as secondary helmet) and Shoei feels more comfortable on my head than Airoh. You should try both of them on before deciding, altho the fit will improve a bit after few hours of usage.

Shoei also has better cooling than Airoh imo so if we get similar summers as the last one here in Finland, you might appreciate it :thumbsup:

That extra pound is a LOT when you're talking about helmets. And the prices are about the same.

I'd want to try on an Airoh though, before dropping $400+ on one.

I have seen pictures of them side by side with other helmets, and they look TINY. There's a reason they are so light. But as long as they can be proven to actually offer the same protection, I would buy one if it fit.

Look at any video or race photos from Europe, and it's obvious that well over half the field is wearing Airoh over there.

I might be tempted to try a Suomy Spectre for less than half the price though.

Depends on your head really. I own both Arai VX-3 and Shoei VFX-W (used to have Airoh Stelt as secondary helmet) and Shoei feels more comfortable on my head than Airoh. You should try both of them on before deciding, altho the fit will improve a bit after few hours of usage.

Shoei also has better cooling than Airoh imo so if we get similar summers as the last one here in Finland, you might appreciate it :thumbsup:

True...my Airoh is very light and snug and in the summer or any other time, gets very warm. My Arai has better venting. I use both equally.

To those of you with both helmets: Which one has better visibility?

Shoei has a bit bigger face "hole" so better visibility too.

I got the new Aviator in "Float" in early Nov 2010. It's the best helmet I've ever put on. I came from a Shoei VFX-W.

The Shoei is plush but I ride with a helmet light at night. The weight of the shoei can get to my neck after a long day of riding and with the helmet light on top it's a no go. The Airoh Aviator feels like it's not there at all.

Excellent venting, witch makes the Aviator a little noisy, but from the top of the helmet, so no new worries on the ears from the pipe.

I did the 2010 Cancer-RideForLife 700 miles with it and was grateful I had it since we did half the riding at night and used the helmet light.

The only down side I have with it is the chin guard come to a point that's a little lower then any other helmet I've seen before. It looks great but I can't use my GoPro camera with the chest rig. When I look down the bottom of the chin guard hits it...

It's a little pricy, but worth every penny.

Cancer-Ride.jpg

I've wondered if that parrot beak chinbar on the Airoh would hit chest protectors easily.

It would be especially bad when looking over your shoulder. My "normal" helmets already hit my shoulder caps on my armor. But that fact that htey weight about a pound less than anything else is very appealing. The price is not.

I've wondered if that parrot beak chinbar on the Airoh would hit chest protectors easily.

It would be especially bad when looking over your shoulder. My "normal" helmets already hit my shoulder caps on my armor. But that fact that htey weight about a pound less than anything else is very appealing. The price is not.

I wear a pressure jacket with full armor under my jersey and have had no problems with it hitting. The "beak" is realy curved on the Aviator's. I don't know about the other Airoh models because my Aviator is the only Airoh I've seen in person...

People who have the new Aviator does it come with any accessories such as an additional peak, helmet bag, screws etc.

I have a fox V3 and looking at getting a new Airoh Aviator venom.

While the Shoei (VFX) is a great helmet, the Airoh is just so light and nicely built.

I went from a VFX (didn't fit me well) to an Airoh Stelt and was very happy. The Aviator is even better.