Sign in to follow this  

XR250r Headlight idea???

So I saw some headlights that I thought would be a sweet idea to put on my bike, I was just wondering what everyone else thought about them or if it would even work. They are the headlights from an 2003 Yamaha warrior 350.

I've never seen them on a bike or how bright they are, I just saw a picture of a quad with them and I thought it would be a fun addition to my XR. Make my XR look a little more baja.

If these wont work does anyone know of another headlight assembly I could go with that would resemble these?

Steve

Sorry I'll try to get a picture posted up as soon as I can figure out how.

The stock stator barely powers one bulb. Running two bulbs will not be any brighter.

I'm in the process of getting the the 150 stator from Ricky stator and possibly putting in a larger battery with a switch to run the lights at night so the battery will be full when the lights are needed.

This is the plan at least. If someone can tell me that my plan is faulty please step in and tell me so.

Also I was looking today and I saw that baja designs has an 4" HID light that would be sweet on the bike. I'm guessing that HID's expel more energy though. I'm not a big electrician though.

HID's do not require more energy. The stock stator on the XR400 puts out about 90 watts which is plenty of power for most of the single 35 watt HIDs, which is the same as the stock bulb. However they do require DC power instead of the AC power that comes stock on the XR's.

I recently upgraded mine with a BajaDesigns stator rewind because I needed more power to supply (two) 35 watt ballast for my "Airtime HID" with Low and High beams. Although total power requirements for my bike would (in theory) only be... 2 Headlights at 35 watts + 1 taillight at 5 watts + 1 GPS power supply at 2 watts = about 77 watts, the stator is rated for its output at 4000 RPM. So at low speed I needed more power output.

I went with an Airtime HID because I wanted both high and low beam so I can run both for a lot of light or when I am in dust or fog switch off the high beam and the low beam cuts a very wide, bright path under the fog or dust like the fog lamps on your car.

This wasn't the "cheap option" but I'm very satisfied with the results.

Perc

th_AirtimeHID004.jpg

Edited by Perc82

So I saw some headlights that I thought would be a sweet idea to put on my bike, I was just wondering what everyone else thought about them or if it would even work. They are the headlights from an 2003 Yamaha warrior 350.

I've never seen them on a bike or how bright they are, I just saw a picture of a quad with them and I thought it would be a fun addition to my XR. Make my XR look a little more baja.

If these wont work does anyone know of another headlight assembly I could go with that would resemble these?

Steve

Sorry I'll try to get a picture posted up as soon as I can figure out how.

When you type your post, on the top bar above where you type are a bunch of icons. 2nd from the right is a postcard looking thing with what looks like mountain peaks showing, click that and follow the directions.

HID's do not require more energy. The stock stator on the XR400 puts out about 90 watts which is plenty of power for most of the single 35 watt HIDs, which is the same as the stock bulb. However they do require DC power instead of the AC power that comes stock on the XR's.

I recently upgraded mine with a BajaDesigns stator rewind because I needed more power to supply (two) 35 watt ballast for my "Airtime HID" with Low and High beams. Although total power requirements for my bike would (in theory) only be... 2 Headlights at 35 watts + 1 taillight at 5 watts + 1 GPS power supply at 2 watts = about 77 watts, the stator is rated for its output at 4000 RPM. So at low speed I needed more power output.

I went with an Airtime HID because I wanted both high and low beam so I can run both for a lot of light or when I am in dust or fog switch off the high beam and the low beam cuts a very wide, bright path under the fog or dust like the fog lamps on your car.

This wasn't the "cheap option" but I'm very satisfied with the results.

Perc

th_AirtimeHID004.jpg

Is the stator swap required to switch the power supplied to the headlight from AC to DC or is there another way to do this?

I need more light than my stock '03 XR250R headlight puts out. Do you have any other suggestions?

Is the stator swap required to switch the power supplied to the headlight from AC to DC or is there another way to do this?

I need more light than my stock '03 XR250R headlight puts out. Do you have any other suggestions?

No! You don't need to upgrade the stator if you go with a single 35 watt HID. The power requirements will be the same.

Replace your AC regulator with a DC regulator/rectifier. (the rectifier is what converts to DC), add a battery pack to smooth out voltage peaks and swap out your headlight for a single 35 watt HID.

I don't know what the output is on the stock XR250 stator, but if you're swapping for a 70 or 100 watt headlight... you may need to look at that stator again.

Perc

• Like 1

on my xr i have a 130high/100low watt light globe in my headlight.

ive had no trouble with its nice and bright.

on my xr i have a 130high/100low watt light globe in my headlight.

ive had no trouble with its nice and bright.

:busted: Are you saying that you can run a 240 watt output on an XR250?

WOW! you guys down under must be getting better stators than we can... in the US. :excuseme:

Perc

So I think I've scratched the idea of going with the two headlights from the quad and using the Riged Dually LED's. They are only 200 for a pair and use way less energy. I think If i ditch my headlights and use these as my driving lights I will not have to buy a new stater. They sell a spot light and a flood and I think I'll use the flood as a driving light and the spot and flood on the high beams switch.

Sound like a good idea?

Steve

I'm not familiar with these "Rigid Dually LED's". :busted:

I see that they run on only 10 watts... Hum... I would have to see how much light can be thrown with just 10 watts? :excuseme:

I imagine these could work well in addition to a HID.:busted:

Perc

Hey "stevyboy"... did you get the DC conversion thing figured out.

I believe that the stock output on a XR250 is 75 watts so this would be good.

Here is a wiring diagram that I made to show how to convert your stock AC system to DC.

XR250DCConversion.jpg

Hope this helps.:excuseme:

Perc

• Like 1

Stev, look into a 91-96 250L stator and rectifier, maybe you could find one for sale cheap. I have not metered mine but I can power a small chinese village... No seriously though if what I read and have discussed with other L owners in the past a stock stator is 200 watt. I have run the AirTime for more than a year now and it just kicks a$$! Running HI/LOW together is unbelievable and you wont out run the light, I have been able to do desert fire road at 70 (as fast as she goes) late night. If you ride nights then HID is where its at. Deep dark forrest turns to day. As far as LED they are bright but dont throw light out far enough (IMPO). I haven't seen any LEDs as actual headlights but would be optimal for electric vehicles.

Just looked up the LEDs, interesting, I would like to see how much light and how far they project. I would use them on my truck for reverse lights for sure.

Edited by CHIEFCULPRIT

:busted: Are you saying that you can run a 240 watt output on an XR250?

WOW! you guys down under must be getting better stators than we can... in the US. :excuseme:

Perc

nah, both arent on at the same time. it high or low. so at most its only 130 watts, in stead of 55w that it came out with.

nah, both arent on at the same time. it high or low. so at most its only 130 watts, in stead of 55w that it came out with.

HeHe :busted:! Ya had me wondering there M8. I thought you guys might have some special rewind down under!:excuseme:

Perc

I'm going to buy these LED's soon, they are cheap and if they don't work out on my bike then I know they will work out on my truck. I know a guy who's seen 4 of these on a well built baja bug and he doesn't have a problem with light at night either. Also if you look up some youtube video's theres a guy with a BMW motorcycle and these out shine his stock headlight pretty dramatically.

Basically I want these no matter what and if they end up working out really well I'll definately be keeping everyone updated. They sell these LED's in a Spot and Flood so I'm going to be getting one of each.

Hopefully I can get these and not have to mess with getting a new stator. Thanks for the good info Chiefculprit. So this state will bolt right up? If so I'll definatly be keeping an eye out for one if the price is right of course.

Steve

Stev, What year is your bike? You would have to see if the 91-96 250L stator would work in anything 95 and above on the R models (NO 250L model after 96). The L stator is either an 18 or 21 pole (if I remember correctly) and the R is 5 or 6 (haven't looked at one in a while).

My bike is a 94. I'm kind of hoping to leave the stator alone for now and just add these LED's to the bike for it's headlights and dump the stock headlamp. I've also gone with a LED tail light and soon I will also use LED turn signals. If I can just spend the money on power reduction and get better lighting quality I think that would be my most cost efficient way. Plus what I've heard about these LED's makes me think I wont need my stock headlight anymore.

Steve

My bike is a 94. I'm kind of hoping to leave the stator alone for now and just add these LED's to the bike for it's headlights and dump the stock headlamp. I've also gone with a LED tail light and soon I will also use LED turn signals. If I can just spend the money on power reduction and get better lighting quality I think that would be my most cost efficient way. Plus what I've heard about these LED's makes me think I wont need my stock headlight anymore.

Steve

Yea, I don't think that you'll need to change the stator, but don't you need to have DC power for LEDs? :excuseme:

Perc