I need some advice on handlebars.

Hi Gang,

I have a 97 XR250, and I would like to replace the handlebars. My buddy has an XR400, and his bike has bars that are wider. I like it much better. Can someone direct me to a good online retailer? Which bars would you reccomend? I dont need anything fancy. Do they come in different widths? I assume this is an easy swap. Am I correct? Should I get new grips while I am at it? Thanks for any advice.

David

on my xr4 I have Pro Taper se KX high bend and they are wider than stock and also taller. All of the bar manufacturers list the dimensions of their bars on their websites just get one with the diminesions you are looking for.

And it is best to get new grips, trying to get the old ones off and reuse them is just not worth it.

I get most of my after market stuff from Rocky Mountain ATV or LocoX

Often, they aren't significantly WIDER, but are swept back less, making the riding position less crowded. The XR's bars have a lot of sweep, and are pretty low. Some CR-Hi bend bars are a BIG improvement (what I have), but some are even higher. These bars, with their less sweep -seem- wider than the stockers. I'd measure to see how wide his bars actually are. The Hi-Bends are around 31".

Here is an ebay ad that has all the dimensions listed for various Renthal handlebar bends.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Renthal-7-8-MX-Handlebars-Yamaha-YZ250-YZ-250-2004-/230552849214?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35ae054b3e#ht_4967wt_907

Have Fun!

i swear by pro taper woods bends. but all in all you get what you pay for so spend the few extra bucks and get sumthin that will last. but whatever you do DO NOT GET HEBO BARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my best friend had a pair break in half and it tore all the nerves in his shoulders

Thanks very much for the input guys!

David

Often, they aren't significantly WIDER, but are swept back less, making the riding position less crowded. The XR's bars have a lot of sweep, and are pretty low. Some CR-Hi bend bars are a BIG improvement (what I have), but some are even higher. These bars, with their less sweep -seem- wider than the stockers. I'd measure to see how wide his bars actually are. The Hi-Bends are around 31".

Here is an ebay ad that has all the dimensions listed for various Renthal handlebar bends.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Renthal-7-8-MX-Handlebars-Yamaha-YZ250-YZ-250-2004-/230552849214?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35ae054b3e#ht_4967wt_907

Have Fun!

Thanks for the link n2! Big help! Just ordered some Renthal Stewarts. Wide and not very swept. Really looking forward to trying them out!

Thanks again.

Thanks for the link n2! Big help! Just ordered some Renthal Stewarts. Wide and not very swept. Really looking forward to trying them out!

Thanks again.

I hope they work out for you.

Of course, if you liked your friend's bars, you could always look for the part number on them... or ask him to look. :thumbsup:

The CR-Hi, part number 722-01, is what I have, and they're really nice.

If a person is tall, and want something higher, the RC HIGH is about an inch higher than the CR Hi.

Good Luck!

I've had the Renthal CR-Hi and RC bends.

The biggest difference is the sweep, which puts the bar end farther back on the CR-Hi.

RC bend is great if you want to stand up and ride aggressively. Elbows up.

CR-Hi is good if you want to sit down and tour. Easy reach to the bars.

If I bend my CR-Hi bars, I'll go back to the RC bar.

I've had the Renthal CR-Hi and RC bends.

The biggest difference is the sweep, which puts the bar end farther back on the CR-Hi.

RC bend is great if you want to stand up and ride aggressively. Elbows up.

CR-Hi is good if you want to sit down and tour. Easy reach to the bars.

If I bend my CR-Hi bars, I'll go back to the RC bar.

Wow, and the CR-Hi bars still have a LOT less sweep than the stock units!

Are you sure there's THAT much difference in sweep between the CR and the RC bars? It looks like the HEIGHT is the biggest difference.

Wow, and the CR-Hi bars still have a LOT less sweep than the stock units!

Are you sure there's THAT much difference in sweep between the CR and the RC bars? It looks like the HEIGHT is the biggest difference.

The CR-Hi is more swept back than stock.

The RC is less swept back than stock.

The difference is small, but it can be felt.

Name Sweep Rise

RC 54 99

XR400 58 87

CR-hi 62 95

I like the taller, straighter RC bars for off-road.

My XR400 is dual-sported, so a lot of riding is sit down. No rush to replace.

For reference, here is my BRP (XR650R) with Pro Taper Evo CR Hi's with adapting mounts :thumbsup:

1-19.jpg?t=1292122674

Matt.

The CR-Hi is more swept back than stock.

The RC is less swept back than stock.

The difference is small, but it can be felt.

Name Sweep Rise

RC 54 99

XR400 58 87

CR-hi 62 95

I like the taller, straighter RC bars for off-road.

My XR400 is dual-sported, so a lot of riding is sit down. No rush to replace.

The 250 and 400 use different handlebars.

The original poster has an XR250.

From the ebay link on the first page, the XR400 bars have a 58mm sweep, the XR250 and XR600 have a sweep of 75mm... a HUGE difference.

I rotated my bars forward in the clamps a couple of notches until I got the new bars. It worked better than with them in the stock position.

If a person is tall, I'd recommend the RC-High bars, as they are about an inch taller than the CR-High. If they're around 5'-8", then the CR-High is good.

The specs for all the 7/8" Renthal bars are all on this ebay ad...

Good Luck!

Can somebody please explain what "sweep" actually means? I looked at the diagram in that ebay auction, but I cant tell for sure. Is it the distance the ends of the bars angle back from straight?

Can somebody please explain what "sweep" actually means? I looked at the diagram in that ebay auction, but I cant tell for sure. Is it the distance the ends of the bars angle back from straight?

Yes, it's the 'pullback', or how far the ends of the bars are swept back.

ive got 1 1/8th in pro taper fat cr-hi bars, then I cut them down 3.5".

wide bars suck for trail riding and gate dodging. you want the skinniest bars you can cut and still keep your levers on

I rode with a guy just recently that uses the TUSK 1 1/8" bar from rockymountainatv. He said it is the best 40 bucks he has spent. he actually just got a new bike and took them off his old bike and put them on the new bike before he sold it! IF i was going to oversized bars i would get these.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&priceRange=allPrices&page=3&webTypeId=70&navTitle=Handlebars-Control&webCatId=12&brandId=294&prodFamilyId=19027

I personally have the Pro Taper SE (7/8") bars with the CR-HI bend and really like them. Strong and a good height. Granted i do have 1.5" up, 1.375" forward bar risers too. Those helped the most IMO.