a little help setting my "S" for 60%trail / 40%street

Guys & Gals I need a little advise on how to set-up and equip my 2006 DRZ400S.

I am going to go thru the Faq section & do all recommended fixes/mods.

I am heading to Daytona tomorrow to pick it up. Looking at the pics, it has Pro taper Contour KX Hi bars which is good since I am 6'4, and a nice set of handguards....everything else looks oem. I ride mostly trail, but with the "Z" I think I will find myself on the highway more. I weigh #230(well... before Christmas anyway). Will I need any suspension mods(no i don't do triples, but will have it off the ground a bit)?

So this is what I am thinking so far:

-Pumper carb

-rear rack(leaning towards the Moose)

-Spitfire windscreen(no, I don't like the looks either, but I'll take it off for trail use)

-skid plate

-radiator shields

-Gps mount

-seatconcepts "Tall" seat cover for my arse

-case savers

-14T front sproket

-47T rear sprocket

Will I want/need these:

-different sprocket

-muffler(I like it fairly quiet...)

Ok...what am I missing...

suggestions?

60478d6280d295f4ed4a_3.jpg

RD

Edited by Motor7

Add some case savers to the list.

I put a 14 t front sprocket on and run 44 t on the rear on the street and 47 t when off road at the moment. I don't run on the freeway with the 14/44 combination but it does ok on the local highways if you stay below 65-70 most of the time. I'm going to try 49 t to see if I like it better on the tight single track we have here in the NW.

The stock Trailwings have earned the nickname Deathwings off road for a good reason. At a minimum you will need DOT knobbies off road or non-DOT knobbies if you want the best traction. Two sets of wheels is kind of nice if you can swing it money wise.

At your weight you will need to respring and revalve the suspension, both ends. You can send them to Eddie at SSW or a trusted suspension shop if you know of one.

If you want quiet the stock pipe is the way to go. You can fit the E header on or the full E system if you want a little more flow. Unfortunately the pipes that make good power also make a fair bit more noise.

Something like a set of hotcams or E cams will be a good compliment to the Keihen carb.

Sounds like you're going to be having some fun in the near future.

Well, you are heavier than the suspension was designed for(me too!) after doing the RaceTech thing it was like night and day.

I started with a used 2002 DRZ400S. 1st Mod, FCR39, 2nd Mod, RaceTech for my weight.

Messed around with bunches of differant tires. I bought a second set of wheels,mounted Avon Distanzia's on them. Only good for hard pack trails(great street tire though)

Regarding tires, my favorite combo is almost any DOT knobby in the front and a Pirelli MT43 trials in the back. Very serious traction in most conditions except lots of mud. It handles the street more than OK, expect about 2500mi til burn out.

Gearing, Stock 15/46 is fine for light duty off road. 14/46 gives it a ton of nice low end. I swap back and forth a fair bit.

Muffler, stock works well, I like the advantage of stealth.

All this took my bike up to 16K, which included my son beating the snot out of the bike.

Latest mod, cylinder works 434 "big bore" and new head. Bike is now back to better than new(son is out of the club) 18 can buy his own now.....yeah sure!

Hope this helps.

Ok, I added the case savers & front sprocket. I'll keep the oem exhaust for now. I'll kick around a cam, but will it make much difference with a stocker exhaust? Tires/wheels, I already was thinking having one set for street, one for trail...but, man a set of extra wheels is kinda steep...I'll have to hunt around for a good deal

How much will the suspension up-grade cost...or should I go on Jenny Craig or...... not go home to Manitoba for Christmas where my MIL(who is a fantastic cook) will stuff me to the gills?

RD

Eating with a smaller spoon saves $$ in so many ways.....

You would have to loose a lot to get down to 170 or so which is approx what the suspension is set for. New springs and valving for forks and shock will likely be around $400 or more. Send Eddie an email and ask him For price quotes and info pertaining to sales and service email SSpeedWorks@gmail.com,call 303-351-2390 . I've only done the forks as I don't weigh that much but it was the best mod I've done to improve the bike off road, well ok, non-DOT knobs were probably the best but until you get the bike tracking properly all the power in the world won't make you much faster.

170?... jeeze one would have to hit a crack pipe to drop that much weight...wait, that would be more expensive than a suspension mod:thinking:

Thanks for the ideas....the list continues to grow.

RD

Edited by Motor7

Note on DOT knobbies, I run Kenda 760's and on the street with my son or GF they get down right scared in the corners. Hard to believe that aggressive knobies corner so well on the street.

I was all ready to go, even had the bike trailer hooked up to the TDI Jetta. My buddie called & said he was heading up to Daytona & would pick it up for me.... & store it in New Smyrna Beach....saved me that 20hrs of driving. Anyway, he rode it & gave it the thumbs up, I paid the balance & it's on his trailer.

Looks like I won't need tires right away, as it has Pirelli MT 21's on it & they are over 80%

He also said it has a new battery & was just serviced.

Now I may have to call some more favors in and get it leap frogged up closer to Tennessee.......:thumbsup:

RD

Now I may have to call some more favors in and get it leap frogged up closer to Tennessee.......:thumbsup:

RD

I could probably be persuaded. It's a little longer drive from here but it's such crappy weather that it would take very little arm-twisting.

...ken...

Actually, we are headed your way...Minnedosa MB for Christmas...driving 1600miles each way....need a delivery?

We stopped in Regina on our honeymoon('04) & I have to say we had a lot of fun cracking jokes about the way y'all pronounce it & what that rhymes with...:blah:. Hey...they wife is Canadian, so I can get away with it...:thumbsup:

RD

You'll definitely have a white Christmas. We were on the edge of setting a new snowfall record for the month of November. Southern MB had at least as much as we did. You'all kept sending it up from the Dakotas and Montana. We always get a lot more snow out of those systems that pull the moisture up from the Gulf than we do from the ones coming over from the Left Coast.

...ken...

I will be following this thread, cause I am in about the same boat..

Motor7,

Congrats on the new o6'. I just picked up mine a month or so ago. Lucky "you" got the purty blue and really low miles. :thumbsup:

I'm almost in TN, about 5-6 miles over the next ridge into Johnson county. TN's a big state, you could be 8 hours away.

Anyway, have fun tweaking the new bike this winter.

I'm near Morristown, just over Clinch Mtn. Boone has some good trails, eh?

I'm running MT21 front D606 rear, and it handles pretty awesome on the dirt, and not bad at all on the street.

I'm running 14/48 gear ration, and it was okay today on trails. I think I might prefer 13/48 if running some really slow tight technical stuff to avoid too much clutch work. I like 15/41 on the street, but 14/41 on street isn't bad. I have several sprockets and power impact tools, so switching is quick and easy.

I bought one of those closeout rear sprockets from Rocky Mtn, so a 14T front & a 47T rear is enroute.

RD

you're 6'4", no one has mentioned it yet, but you should consider a set of bar risers: big dr bar risers are great but a little too short, or rox or others (check snowmobile foums and/or equip for ideas, go for something around 4" of rise pivoted forward for about 2" of reach: perfect for standing or sitting).

Definitely do springs and suspension fluid at least, valving even better.

mt21's are good for gentle dirt, 606 for better dirt, but go real knobby for serious stuff.

Power: cams won't make a huge diff, even with pipe and carb, but will help. With a big bore they reallly help.

Pipe: fmf bomb header with stock muffler drilled out end cap makes a good, quiet and effective pipe system (I have a full hindle and love it, but it's loud, even with a quiet core insert).

Rob, I haven't been able to coon finger the bike yet(still 600 miles away) & it looks to have adapters or risers on it. I agree, they don't look tall enough.

2006_suzuki_60478d6280d295f4ed4a_7.jpg

I already have a quote from Eddie on re-springing and re-valving the suspension. It's very reasonable, so when I get the bike here in Jan, it's all coming off & going to him.

The petcock is leaking...Pingle ordered.

I guess the dead of winter is a good time to do all of this, but dang.............an....tic............icipation:thumbsup:

RD

I put Rox 3 1/2" on mine and I'm 6'. Great for stand up.