RM 250 Info Please 2001 UP

Hi

We are looking at Used RM250s 2001 and up

I think 2006 was the last year ...

Rode 2001 and 2004 and loved it

but

should we go back as far as 2001 ?

I Guess what im asking is are the 2001 - 2006 very similar ?

Edited by Spritle
Hi

We are looking at Used RM250s 2001 and up

I think 2006 was the last year ...

Rode 2001 and 2004 and loved it

but

should we go back as far as 2001 ?

I Guess what im asking is are the 2001 - 2006 very similar ?

2001 was good, but an '04 or newer would be better. '04 is when Suzuki finally got the chassis and power to really work as a package, that's also when most of the magazines really started to rate it as one of the better 250 2t.

2008 was the last year for the RM250, but it was the same as the '07 RM250.

The "current" generation of RM's started in '01 which was the last big model change (plastic, engine and chassis).

2004 was a new generation engine, but it was internal changes, it would bolt into the '01 chassis.

2006 was what many consider to be the fastest RM250. It rev'd quick, hit hard and had a top end pull that few riders could handle for an entire moto. The '07 got a heavier flywheel and that slowed down the hit but the power is still there.

In the end buy the newest one that you can find that has been taken care of. So it is possible that a clean 2001 might be a better deal than a roached 2004. Model year is your first consideration, but condition is a strong second.

thank you

Very big help !

If your looking at a Suzuki to buy, before you lay out the money, post a photo of what you found. We have had many bikes posted that was not what the seller said it was. Wrong year is the most common. Good luck with your search.

If your looking at a Suzuki to buy, before you lay out the money, post a photo of what you found. We have had many bikes posted that was not what the seller said it was. Wrong year is the most common. Good luck with your search.

We in general the body style should be like this for RM 250 2001 up right ?

01RM250_01_original.jpg

Yes. However, we have some members on here that have converted their 90s model bike over to the newer style plastic. These guys are good, and if you post a photo of the bike your looking to buy they can pick at it and tell you the exact year model of the bike.....just by a photo. In other words, if your looking at and 06 (common pass off year) it mite end up being an 01, 02, or older.

Here is a 2001 ?

1292005621.jpg

01 or 02....

I agree. You can also look at the 10th number of the frame serial number and that is the year model.

Is it safe to say this is an 01 RM?

rm3.jpg

^ Definitely not! 01 is when they got the modern/new plastics and frame.

The rear fender is 2001 and above.....but the rest is a 99 or 00.

out

You're chittin me. Are you guy's serious? Here's two more pics.

rm1.jpg

rm2.jpg

Here is a 2001 ?

Please confirm

(we met the guy and were going to p/u sunday , the bike is all stock )

1292005621.jpg

1292005621.jpg

2001_RM250_450.jpg

If that is your bike Husky 390 , you might want to use a funnel when you put oil in the transmission.

Or your kickstarter shaft seal is shot.

If it is your bike , 99-00 , are not really that far off from the new ones , so not a bad bike to own.

out

Nope it's not my bike, yet. The guy offered it to me as a trade and said it was an 01. I have not seen the bike in person yet but am now a little leery about the deal. I thought that rear fender looked a little funny. Thanks for the input and sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread.

1292005621.jpg

2001_RM250_450.jpg

Sprittle,

Take a look at how coolant hose that attaches to the waterpump on your bike versus the r/h side of my bike. Plus look at the differences between the frames. Yours is at least an 01 judging by those differences.

COOL so far so good

that could be an 01 i had a friend who had an 01 with the old body style but it was a 2001