Sign in to follow this  

how fast will my bike go if i use a smaller sprocket?

ok so i have a ktm 300 xc-w supermoto. i have a 52t rear sprocket 13t counter. right now my top speed (verified with gps) is around or very close to 90mph. and the bike is soooo torquey. i can get on the highway and have some room in the motor to pass people but the engine has to run hard. if i dropped down to maybe a 48 or 45 how much faster do yall think i could go?? 100? 95? IF i did..how much snappiness, torquey-ness would i lose?? as i love doing stunts on the bike. thanks for any help. i dont wanna spend 70 bucks and the bike not even do wheelies. lol :thumbsup:

Highways at 95 to 100MPH? 15 years old? Stunts and Wheelies? Save your stunts and speed for the tracks and woods. You are too young to be a tragety in the papers. Is there something I'm missing? You stated in your "funny stories involving cops" post that you drive a modded miata as well. Isn't the legal age 16 for a valid drivers license in the US? Stay off the highways where are friends and families drive until you can drive safely and responsibly. I normally sit back and observe your posts, but I couldn't hold my tongue this time.

You stated in your "funny stories involving cops" post that you drive a modded miata as well. Isn't the legal age 16 for a valid drivers license in the US?

:thumbsup: Well its not like he could out run them. And a modded miata of all cars. Thats the most funny thing Ive heard so far this morning. But i agree, 90 is fast enough for a dirt bike. Especially when the fastest speed limit in the US is 80. Save yourself the road rash and death. Ride on the track if you want go that fast.

correct me if im wrong but it seems like all this kid wanted to hear is how to make his bike go alittle faster without wrapping out the engine, i dont think he was asking for another Mother/Father figure to tell him what he should be doing with his life! now dont get me wrong im all about keeping racing on the track/in the woods, not endangering other people when your doing stupid $#!+, and ALLWAYS wearing the right safety gear... but seriously cant we just give the kid a simple answer and not lecture him about how he lives his life? so in lew of all that a 14 or even 15 front would give you a better top speed but you will loose some torque, considering the fronts are pretty cheap you could mess around with it to get what you want! good luck and have fun :thumbsup:

but seriously cant we just give the kid a simple answer and not lecture him about how he lives his life? :

Read the first two responses

I'll tell you from experience that once you hit 90-100mph your going to get speed wobbles from the bike being so lite. Before trying you better set your sag on the suspension and even install a steering dampner cuz once those wobbles hit, they may highside you.:thumbsup:

i can get on the highway

You can use www.sprocketcalculator.com to give you some idea of what different sized sprockets will give you.

How can you get on the highway if you're 15? 90mph on the highway at 15? You probably need advise on other things more that sprocket math. If you want to risk your own safety, that's one thing, but don't risk others.

correct me if im wrong but it seems like all this kid wanted to hear is how to make his bike go alittle faster without wrapping out the engine, i dont think he was asking for another Mother/Father figure to tell him what he should be doing with his life!

Some guy walks into a bank with a piece of dynamite and asks you if you have a lighter, whatcha going to say? :thumbsup:

If I see some kid filling his tank next to a bon-fire, or am asked to help some guy with an engine problem and he's lighting a cigarette with spilled gas everywhere..... it's going to be pretty darn hard for me not to say something.

If no one said anything to this guy after he mentions he's 15 and he's trying to race his bike at 90-100mph on the highway, I'd think we really had a problem here.

Or has it become politically incorrect to mention common sense these days?

correct me if im wrong but it seems like all this kid wanted to hear is how to make his bike go alittle faster without wrapping out the engine, i dont think he was asking for another Mother/Father figure to tell him what he should be doing with his life! now dont get me wrong im all about keeping racing on the track/in the woods, not endangering other people when your doing stupid $#!+, and ALLWAYS wearing the right safety gear... but seriously cant we just give the kid a simple answer and not lecture him about how he lives his life? so in lew of all that a 14 or even 15 front would give you a better top speed but you will loose some torque, considering the fronts are pretty cheap you could mess around with it to get what you want! good luck and have fun :thumbsup:

People like this scare the crap out of people like me that have families on the road, I am not trying to lecture anyone here but slow down on the highways man because it might not be your life thats lost but the unknowing family involved in an accident you caused.

All of you griping don't even live in the same state as he does... HUM...ever see a rear tire come apart at 90mph on the hwy....... neither will he.....

How the hell can you get nearly 90mph out of a KTM 300 with 13-52 gearing???, we dont get the xc-w here in OZ we get the sx or exc so im not even sure what an xc-w is. Does the xc-w have some super wide ratio tranny and are the circumference of motard wheels that much greater than mx wheels because i just cant see how it could go that fast without some serious engine work done?

ok so i have a ktm 300 xc-w supermoto. i have a 52t rear sprocket 13t counter. right now my top speed (verified with gps) is around or very close to 90mph. and the bike is soooo torquey. i can get on the highway and have some room in the motor to pass people but the engine has to run hard. if i dropped down to maybe a 48 or 45 how much faster do yall think i could go?? 100? 95? IF i did..how much snappiness, torquey-ness would i lose?? as i love doing stunts on the bike. thanks for any help. i dont wanna spend 70 bucks and the bike not even do wheelies. lol :blah:

What part of Texas are located?

Do yourself a favor and come to one of our track days. www.ridesmart.info

We run trackdays at several tracks in Texas. One of the best for Supermotos is Motorsports Ranch in Cresson, TX. (Just SW of Fort Worth). It's just over $100 and you can ride as fast as you want and you won't get arrested. There's also usually some VERY quick guys on 'tards out there that could give you some pointers. :thumbsup:

So, are you the kid that flies down the Freeway doing wheelies without a helmet or gear? AKA Squid.

wrong person. i wear boots, jeans, leather jacket, shoe x-11, gloves. im pretty safe. not to mention i have taken and passed an advanced motorcycle safety course and i have my license for a 250cc and under bike. ill be 100% legal when i turn 16 in march. how nice of you to make ASSumptions. :thumbsup:

What part of Texas are located?

Do yourself a favor and come to one of our track days. www.ridesmart.info

We run trackdays at several tracks in Texas. One of the best for Supermotos is Motorsports Ranch in Cresson, TX. (Just SW of Fort Worth). It's just over $100 and you can ride as fast as you want and you won't get arrested. There's also usually some VERY quick guys on 'tards out there that could give you some pointers. :thumbsup:

omg really?????? ive never heard of that track? i usually ride with my neighbor on his rc 51 on a track out in decatur. i live in denton. how far away is cressson?? pm me all the deatails please!!!

How the hell can you get nearly 90mph out of a KTM 300 with 13-52 gearing???, we dont get the xc-w here in OZ we get the sx or exc so im not even sure what an xc-w is. Does the xc-w have some super wide ratio tranny and are the circumference of motard wheels that much greater than mx wheels because i just cant see how it could go that fast without some serious engine work done?

it has some "serious" engine work done:thumbsup: and yep my garmin nuvi clocked me at 87 mph:ride: and yes the xc-w stands for wide ratio. keep in mind the bike was pinned and was putting out every ounce of power it had. ive hit 104 mph with a 48t speocket on stock rims. also gps confirmed.

listen everyone. im not being a dick or anything but im probably the most responsible 16 year olds you could ever know. i ride with all my gear, all the time. occasionly ill go around the neghborhood with no helmet but big whoop. i have taken an advanced motorcycle safety course, i have a license for my bike and car. and i dont "race" down the highway ha. i mean who hasnt "opened her up.." a time or two? and i do ride on the track. quite frequently. also my tires are rated for 135 mph so i dont think there just gonna tear apart lol. so please save the lectures for your own children, i already get enough from my own family i dont need anymore:thumbsup: i just want to know if i can gain a few mph with a small sprocket mmkay? i dont need a lecture. thanks:ride:

ps- i dont understand whats funny. i drive an 04 mazda miata with a turbo kit that i installed myself. im very proud of the car and i dont appreciate you poking fun at it.