Sign in to follow this  

XR650L Tail light - aftermarket

So the PO put on an after market tail light, which I like. I think it is this one:

http://www.fourstrokesonly.com/Taillight44-0181.html

I broke the lens and called to get a replacement. It turns out that whoever what making these stopped so I can't order a new lens nor can I order an entire new assembly:banghead:! WFT

Does anybody know where these lenses were coming from. They look like an xr650r lens but there a bit bigger. Any suggestions on a replacement lens or an entire new tail light assembly are welcome.

If you search this forum for "WPS Taillight", a bunch of info should come up.

I found this one

Scroll half way down. Its made by WPS it looks like a stock 600R tail light, but it has a dual filiment bulb so its tail and brake light in one!

It also fits into the 650L rear fender like it was factory! Just remove the giant factory one and where the big rubber boot connects to the fender, but this one in its place. There are two holes at the tip of the fender that the factory brake light mounts too. I took a 1" strip of aluminum and made a bracket for the license plate and used the rubber mounts. Worked perfet!! This is the cleanest light I found. not to mention it looks just like the ones you were looking at that are discontinued!

http://www.procycle.us/dskits/dskit.htm#taillights

The WPS taillights are great; I've even used them on other models of bike. However the bulb mounting system provides no shock absorption, so regular incandescent bulbs may not last very long. I'd recommend swapping in an LED bulb. (The best would be one of the 360 degree LED bulbs because most are focused in one narrow direction, and the WPS tail light aims the bulb at a downward angle.)

The WPS taillights are great; I've even used them on other models of bike. However the bulb mounting system provides no shock absorption, so regular incandescent bulbs may not last very long. I'd recommend swapping in an LED bulb. (The best would be one of the 360 degree LED bulbs because most are focused in one narrow direction, and the WPS tail light aims the bulb at a downward angle.)

You took the words right out of my mouth. I blew the tail light on the LAB2V this year. A lot of bouncing around for sure. I was planning on looking into a led light to put in there.

The only problems I've had with the WPS tail light is that the lenses seem to crack on them. I went through three lenses in one year when I was running it. I've now changed it out for a Baja Designs LED and a Maier rear fender. :thumbsup:

Huh, really. I will have to keep an eye on that. I really like this light. Nice low profile and fits like a glove.

The only problems I've had with the WPS tail light is that the lenses seem to crack on them. I went through three lenses in one year when I was running it. I've now changed it out for a Baja Designs LED and a Maier rear fender. :thumbsup:

Do you have any pix of that setup and maybe part numbers? Thanks....

I have a wps tail light, if anyone wants it I'll give it to you for free.

I'm in the Christmas spirit.

Do you have any pix of that setup and maybe part numbers? Thanks....

Here's the Baja Designs LED tail light/license plate holder and Maier rear fender.

DSpiggyBack.jpg

DSpiggyLeft.jpg

Sorry, no part numbers, but they shouldn't be hard to find online. :thumbsup:

Nice ride Old Dog, that looks fantastic, just what I was after! Thank you....