Sign in to follow this  

Will not start

Thought I would run this across everyone before I tear into the engine.

2004 450R been raced 2 raced without a major problem.

My last race of the season 1 months ago it started to sputter(pop) a little bit through the whole RPM range. I thought that maybe it was bad gas. I put the bike away. Just got it out again, drained the gas, put fresh in and it will not start at all. Replaced the spark plug. No start. Tried to pull start it behind a quad and it wouldn't even try. I get varied opinions here, but two possibilities to me would be either a valve problem or a timing problem. Has this similiar thing happened to anyone here. I had another 450r that had a stretched valve that was hard to start, but it would eventually start. I can't get this bike to even pop once. Any opinions would be helpfull.

when you pulled the tank off to do the plug the fuel on/ off might have pulled the wire off the coil, very common on 450x

stator blue and white wires should be 9-25 ohms...

blue/yellow and green wires should be 180-280 ohms

hit the bolt on the coil where it grounds out and in the cap..

that should be 9-16k ohms

pull the cap and test the wire itself... (just unscrews)

should be 0.1-0.3 ohms

follow all wires from the cdi box down to the plug in to the carb,stator,kill switch and make sure you have conectivity through all.

stator blue and white wires should be 9-25 ohms...

blue/yellow and green wires should be 180-280 ohms

hit the bolt on the coil where it grounds out and in the cap..

that should be 9-16k ohms

pull the cap and test the wire itself... (just unscrews)

should be 0.1-0.3 ohms

follow all wires from the cdi box down to the plug in to the carb,stator,kill switch and make sure you have conectivity through all.

CHECK IT COLD, AND HOT (if you can start it) I test my stator when it was cold and eveything was in spec... because of this result, I lost 1 mounth to try to find out what the hell my engine bug when hot... If I had test it hot, I would see the stator goiing outspec

So this is what you should inspect in order...

-Fuel quality

-Fuel filter

-Spark wire

-Sparkplug

-Coils (with spec of oakhill)

-Carb jet (clean all)

-Stator (hot and cold)

-Remove oil filter, check for metal flakes...if yes, remove flywheel cover and remove metal flake from the Ignitor

-ICM wiring (all wire shoul have less than .4 Ohms of resistance, unplug it and check between all end)

-Valves adjust

-Timing

-Chain tensioner

-Air or exhaust leak

Pull the plug, put the plug wire on, lay the plug against the engine or frame, and kick it to see if there is any spark.

Pull the line from the fuel petcock and see if fuel flows when you open the valve. Drain the float bowl on the carb and see if debris is in there.

Check the valve clearances and timing.

Pull the plug, put the plug wire on, lay the plug against the engine or frame, and kick it to see if there is any spark.

Pull the line from the fuel petcock and see if fuel flows when you open the valve. Drain the float bowl on the carb and see if debris is in there.

Check the valve clearances and timing.

Something the bike spark but not strong enough...so beware with this, it's really helpful only when you really don't have one...

A good way to test if the spark it's strong enough, take a old sparkplug and broke the ground electrod... a good spark can make is way to the sparkplug body

Just an FYI. It ended up being a bad intake valve. Thanks for everyone's suggestions.