Sign in to follow this  

95 KX500 Forks or 92 KX250 Forks?

I’m in the process of restoring my '92 KX250. The forks on the 250 are in good condition and operate well. But I have a front end of a '95 KX500 that I could use for this project. And they're a direct swap over, too. The lower tubes of the 500 are a larger diameter than the 250’s, and the 500's guards wrap around instead of the flat, narrow strip of plastic that the '92 250's have. I was wondering if anyone knows if the 95 500’s forks are an upgrade to the 92 250’s? Other than the exterior differences, are the internals improved/better enough to swap them over?

Thanks.

I think the 1995 KX500 forks are the same as the 1994 KX250/KX500 forks, so they are only two years older. I don't know that it would be much better.

Both inner, chrome tubes should be 43mm in diameter.

I have 1994-2003 fork guards on my '92 250. You will need the plastic holders that the guards slide through. They are a direct bolt on except the '92 doesn't use the side bolts like the newer forks. I had to trim the side edges down to work with my disc guard also.

KDXGarage: You’re right. The lower tubes are the same diameter. It was the axel on the ’95 500 that’s larger.

I was comparing the fork guards between the two and the newer wrap around type will work. Just need to trim the side tab off.

I think I’ll stick with the ‘92 forks on the 250.

Scottie_b205: Is the clutch pull on your 250 really hard? Other than the usual things like cable routing and lubrication, have you dealt with this?

Scottie_b205: Is the clutch pull on your 250 really hard? Other than the usual things like cable routing and lubrication, have you dealt with this?

Acually, it is kind of hard. I threw in a barnett clutch kit last winter and just figured the newer springs were stiffer then what came out. I have to inspect everything over again this winter since I could never get the cable pull correct. I had to over adjust everything out to get the correct play. Maybe the small ball in front of the actuator rod for the clutch fell out. I didn't really have any problems and I don't abuse the clutch.

What are you doing with the 500 forks? I'm looking for some (at least one) clean tube for my 94 restoration. The clutch cable wore a groove in mine and it's no good for re-annodizing.