95 KX500 Forks or 92 KX250 Forks?

I’m in the process of restoring my '92 KX250. The forks on the 250 are in good condition and operate well. But I have a front end of a '95 KX500 that I could use for this project. And they're a direct swap over, too. The lower tubes of the 500 are a larger diameter than the 250’s, and the 500's guards wrap around instead of the flat, narrow strip of plastic that the '92 250's have. I was wondering if anyone knows if the 95 500’s forks are an upgrade to the 92 250’s? Other than the exterior differences, are the internals improved/better enough to swap them over?

Thanks.

I think the 1995 KX500 forks are the same as the 1994 KX250/KX500 forks, so they are only two years older. I don't know that it would be much better.

Both inner, chrome tubes should be 43mm in diameter.

I have 1994-2003 fork guards on my '92 250. You will need the plastic holders that the guards slide through. They are a direct bolt on except the '92 doesn't use the side bolts like the newer forks. I had to trim the side edges down to work with my disc guard also.

KDXGarage: You’re right. The lower tubes are the same diameter. It was the axel on the ’95 500 that’s larger.

I was comparing the fork guards between the two and the newer wrap around type will work. Just need to trim the side tab off.

I think I’ll stick with the ‘92 forks on the 250.

Scottie_b205: Is the clutch pull on your 250 really hard? Other than the usual things like cable routing and lubrication, have you dealt with this?

Thank you for the information. I knew somewhere around those years was a bearing or something change.

Scottie_b205: Is the clutch pull on your 250 really hard? Other than the usual things like cable routing and lubrication, have you dealt with this?

Acually, it is kind of hard. I threw in a barnett clutch kit last winter and just figured the newer springs were stiffer then what came out. I have to inspect everything over again this winter since I could never get the cable pull correct. I had to over adjust everything out to get the correct play. Maybe the small ball in front of the actuator rod for the clutch fell out. I didn't really have any problems and I don't abuse the clutch.

What are you doing with the 500 forks? I'm looking for some (at least one) clean tube for my 94 restoration. The clutch cable wore a groove in mine and it's no good for re-annodizing.