2002 or 2006 CR250 HONDA

I am looking at two used two stroke CR250's. One is a 2002 ,and the other a 2006.

Both are in excellent condition with very low hours. Of course the 2006 is alot more money.

Considering both bikes in equal condition , would it be best to save some money and go for the '02 , since there is so little difference between years ?

Any opinions would be helpful.

thanks

I owned an 03 and 06. They both handled about the same. The 03 had less of a mid range hit than the 06. Engine wise the 06 had a different cylinder, power-valve, and exhaust pipe. In my opinion the 03 was easier to ride. They both were fussy about jetting but the 06 was worse. Some people say these bikes were slow however I dis-agree. Since they are both Honda's the quality is very high. If I were you I'd buy the one with the least amount of wear and tear.

Typically I would say go newer. But I'm riding a perfect '03 and this thing rips. Also I can't leave anything stock personally so I would go with whatever bike is nicer and not really care what the year differences are because I tend to just end up throwing out 80% of the stock components in search of more power, better handling, anyhow.

So I say go with whichever one is least used. What sort of price difference are we talking here?

Equal condition? Go for the 02 and save some money. It would have to be a nice 02 though, and they are getting hard to find being that old. I think the difference for me would be the owners, and who seems to be in the know about routine maintenance. Check the model year changes sticky to see if you feel any of the changes warrant the 06's price difference. Also peek under the rad shrouds where they pass over the frame spars, they like to rub holes in the frame in that spot, moreso if the radiators are not perfectly straight. You have to slightly lift the shroud to see the area in question. Enjoy your new CR!

I have an 02 and am very happy with it. However, the love really came after installing a Boyesen rad valve, Keihin 38 mm PWK Air Striker carb (I use a 2002 KTM 200 EXC carb that I got off of Ebay for about $65), and 49t rear sprocket. For enhanced reliability, install an MX Bonz airbox kit so that it does not suck dirt through the poorly designed stock set-up. You will never look back. It's as fast as a friend's stock CRF450 and has a very smoooooth powerband. I think people bad-mouth the bike because it's smooth like a 4-stroke. Just my 2 cents . . .

Jay

how big of a price difference? In California the 02 for sure for the green sticker reasons.. Everywhere else it depends on the price. I have heard the 02 had some handling quirks somthing like the rear end geometry wasnt quite right yet and they changed the linkage and valving on newer bikes. A good suspension tech should be able to fix the 02 handling issues though.

The 02-07 CR250's have the 3rd gen aluminum frame & are very similar bikes. They did make some changes every year & in 05 they went to a different engine & case design. You can look at the different model year changes on top of the sticky option in this forum for more info.. The 06 would be a better platform to start off with. I'd recomend riding both & going with the one you think is a better deal & option.

The main chassis difference is they pulled in the front axle blocks in 05 for better turning. I believe the swingarm has some different thicknesses for more or less flex? According to factory connection the linkage is better on the 03 which i believe is the same from 02-04. Like mentioned before the biggest changes were to the motor in 05-07. They tweaked the motor in 03,04.