Small 4stroke bending rod

I have been warned by a couple of older family members with a lot more riding experience than me, not to lug a small 4 stroke (200-250cc) bikes or I have a high risk of bending a rod. However I prefer the quieter low rpm (as long as the motor seems to be pulling alright) when taking it easy down fire roads, or in tight spots. Is this more a thing of the past, still a problem today, or nothing to worry about either way? If there are specific makes or year ranges that are known for this I would appreciate the info. Thanks

Your 'older family members' are full of it. Theres no risk of bending a rod when you lug a 4-stroke. If it were true, every single high school girl in driving class would have ruined there Dad's car, trucks wouldn't be able to pull out stumps and towing trailers would be non-existent.

Your 'older family members' are full of it. Theres no risk of bending a rod when you lug a 4-stroke. If it were true, every single high school girl in driving class would have ruined there Dad's car, trucks wouldn't be able to pull out stumps and towing trailers would be non-existent.

Well said :thumbsup:

Ok, not to be rude, but apparently we can't all read. Plus the reply seemed a bit rude it's self. I said

not to lug a small 4 stroke (200-250cc) bikes
, this means small 4 stroke bikes. I was told this was due to the light weight parts in these small engines by nature. I also know that both family members did bend rods on old Honda's from the 80's. I am just wondering how common this is and if it's still a known problem with newer bikes. Secondly I well know about lugging engines in cars and trucks, especially towing trailers as I own a 2011 International ProStar truck myself. But then again, those aren't the motors I asked about.
Ok, not to be rude, but apparently we can't all read. Plus the reply seemed a bit rude it's self. I said , this means small 4 stroke bikes. I was told this was due to the light weight parts in these small engines by nature. I also know that both family members did bend rods on old Honda's from the 80's. I am just wondering how common this is and if it's still a known problem with newer bikes. Secondly I well know about lugging engines in cars and trucks, especially towing trailers as I own a 2011 International ProStar truck myself. But then again, those aren't the motors I asked about.

Its not a problem and never has been, pretty much everyone lugs smaller 4 stroke bikes at some point. New bikes or old, Whatever bent your family members rods had nothing to do with lugging around on it because lugging a small four stroke will do no harm to it no matter what year or kind of bike it is.

This has never been a problem for any four-stroke bike. I use to put my XR200 in as high of a gear as possible to keep the noise and RPM down. You could cruise all day at full throttle, in 6th gear at 15 MPH and not have to worry about anything.

Agreed. There are ways to bend of rod, but none of them are dependent on low RPM running.

I was told this was due to the light weight parts in these small engines by nature.

The engine componets are sized to the power that its capabile of producing...

Yes, you will damage a motor if its making knocking sounds and you keep giving it gas... but that you have just as high of a chance of bending a valve as a connecting rod

Sorry but, your family members that told you that have no idea what they are talking about.

As long as you have the right color powerband in the bike it will do no harm to lug it!

Let me know the model and year of the bike and I'll let you know what color is recommended.

Ok, not to be rude, but apparently we can't all read. I said
not to lug a small 4 stroke (200-250cc) bikes

, this means small 4 stroke bikes.

Since when is a 250cc bike considered a small bike? :thumbsup:

I've got a garage full of dirt bikes and the largest (mine) is 250cc :blah:

I've been riding "chaser" for years without any problems. A chaser bike is a small bike (150cc-200cc) that you ride in 1st-2nd gear at about 4 mph with the engine running at about 600 RPM as you ride slowly behind your kids when they're learning to ride.

There is some potential for damage when lugging a four-stroke at very low rpm while under a high load, but bending the rod is not going to happen. I have no idea how anybody could have ever dreamed that one up, it has no basis in reality.

The primary danger in lugging a four-stroke while simultaneously placing it under a heavy load is in possible galling of the crank and rod bearings. High loads tend to squeeze the oil out of the bearing interface, and at very low rpms the oil pressure is too low to prevent this from happening, as the oil pressure is directly related to engine rpms. But the likelihood of this happening to a small underpowered engine like an XR250 is very unlikely. They simply don't produce high enough cylinder pressures to put that much stress on the bearing interfaces at such low rpms.

Alright, thanks to all that replied sounds like my riding style is fine then. Have a good one.