Sign in to follow this  

Ouch! CRF gets 6th place in MXA shootout.

Hard to believe. How could this be?

The CRF is a lot lighter than the competition, so it's starting off on a great platform. Unfortunately, this economy hasn't let Honda polish what could potentially be the #1 450.

MXA told it as they saw it ... they weren't cutting Honda any slack. Honda has won many MXA 450 shootouts in the past, so I don't see any Red discrimination here.

What were the critisicms?

I quote, "the clutch is useless, the handling is weird and the suspension is schizophrenic" They did say that it is light weight with a pleasant powerband.:thumbsup:

It doesn't surprise me at all they are last. Honda is not progressing; they haven't fixed the chassis since 09, where many people weren't happy with their bikes stock.

If I were going to buy a new bike tomorrow it would probably be the KTM 450, even though I've been all about Honda for years. Almost everything KTM has been doing in the last couple of years has been impressive.

Honda isn't been impressing anybody these days when they still have this weird chassis/susp problem everyone knows about, and yet they keep acting like it's not an issue.

I know someone's going to come back and say "BUT, BUT MY '09 or '10 IS A GREAT BIKE WITH SPRINGS AND A REVALVE" and new linkage and other crap they shouldn't HAVE to buy to get their bike to work right. When you pay that much for a new bike, you shouldn't have to buy anything for it to work as well as the other brands. The mag reviews are all about how the STOCK bikes compare. Honda isn't doing it right, and until they do, I'm not going to consider them.

Who really wants to buy a bike without a test ride that supposedly has a "useless clutch, weird handling, and schizophrenic suspension?"

It doesn't surprise me at all they are last. Honda is not progressing; they haven't fixed the chassis since 09, where many people weren't happy with their bikes stock.

If I were going to buy a new bike tomorrow it would probably be the KTM 450, even though I've been all about Honda for years. Almost everything KTM has been doing in the last couple of years has been impressive.

Honda isn't been impressing anybody these days when they still have this weird chassis/susp problem everyone knows about, and yet they keep acting like it's not an issue.

I know someone's going to come back and say "BUT, BUT MY '09 or '10 IS A GREAT BIKE WITH SPRINGS AND A REVALVE" and new linkage and other crap they shouldn't HAVE to buy to get their bike to work right. When you pay that much for a new bike, you shouldn't have to buy anything for it to work as well as the other brands. The mag reviews are all about how the STOCK bikes compare. Honda isn't doing it right, and until they do, I'm not going to consider them.

Who really wants to buy a bike without a test ride that supposedly has a "useless clutch, weird handling, and schizophrenic suspension?"

I'm a true honda man, always have been. But I agree, lead-follow-or get out of the way. Honda has choosen to follow. I guess I will be riding my 2008's a couple more years.

The new Hondas are a fantastic platform to build an excellent race bike, but out of the box there are some serious setup issues.

The lightness of the bike and reliability alone make it a good choice though. No one keeps a bike COMPLETELY stock.

Having had the pleasure and opportunity to ride all the new bikes I rate them as follows.

1. Honda

2. Suzuki

3. Tie between Yamaha and Kawasaki

5. KTM

I could race any one of these bikes with Mods to get them working the way I like, but I buy the Honda. So it is known MXA is only good for wiping your a$$ when you run out of tp.

E.

The new Hondas are a fantastic platform to build an excellent race bike, but out of the box there are some serious setup issues.

The lightness of the bike and reliability alone make it a good choice though. No one keeps a bike COMPLETELY stock.

reliable?? ive seen more "well taken care of" blown up honda motors than all the other brands combined. i wanted the new 450 for awhile until i rode one and it wanted to slap me side to side over every bump i took.

reliable?? ive seen more "well taken care of" blown up honda motors than all the other brands combined. i wanted the new 450 for awhile until i rode one and it wanted to slap me side to side over every bump i took.

I have had 3 crf450s and my buddy has one. not one ever blown up a motor, his 04 is on the original valves and piston. The reason it slapped you side to side is because the suspension isn't set up, any bike will to that

I have had 3 crf450s and my buddy has one. not one ever blown up a motor, his 04 is on the original valves and piston. The reason it slapped you side to side is because the suspension isn't set up, any bike will to that

I too have had 3 crf450r's, my dad had a crf450'r, 3 of my friends have crf450'rs and one friend has a crf250r. All 8 bikes have silly amounts of glamis dune riding on them and most of us have lots of track time as well and NONE OF US have ever blown a motor. Been good reliable bikes, all you have to do is preventative maintenance. People need to learn that just because your piston isnt seized doesnt mean you cant replace it lol. thats why its called PREVENTATIVE maintenance.

We did one season on CRF450's and CRF250X bought them both as left over 06's in 07. Most expensive bike we have ever campaigned with the exception of KX250F's. Pistons, heads, cranks, really broke me of Honda's. Now we are on KTM's and Yamaha's half as expensive to run per season.

Been good reliable bikes, all you have to do is preventative maintenance. People need to learn that just because your piston isnt seized doesnt mean you cant replace it lol. thats why its called PREVENTATIVE maintenance.

Most people don't realize they have to do maintenance, so when they have a failure it gives them a excuse to blame the bike.

And MXA is probably the most biased magazine out there, Yamaha probably won there shootout

And MXA is probably the most biased magazine out there, Yamaha probably won there shootout

Yamaha has only won one MXA 450 shootout in the last eight years.

I can only say my 09 is awesome after 50h. I put a Rekluse since new, did my suspension and put the heaviest springs as in all my bikes; I'm a tall/heavy rider. I also got a Guts tall/hard seat and fastwat pegs (in the low setting). I had five 08s, one 07, three 06 and one 05. I've riddden kawis and KTM's once in a while too....

My 09 is big inside and small outside, even stock. I mean its cockpit is big enough and I have the feeling of riding an 250 4t. No more armpump at all and I got real faster in small and slow MX tracks. I still have an 08 for practice bike and I HATE it. I used to be in love with the 08 model and said it was the best 450 ever until I had my 09. Now I'm getting an 2010 for race bike.

Nevertheless I needed to get used to the 09 model because it has to be ridden differently and the stock clutch is crap too.

I find MXA to be quite accurate .. or perhaps the most honest of the publications.

I have spent a bit of time on 2 of the bikes in this years shootout, and agree with their assessments. I had many of the same observations about both bikes before this publication even came out. I love to spend time on every bike brand, to get an idea about the pros and cons (and every bike usually has something I like and something I don't). Helps me set up my own ride better.

Being a "Honda guy" I would agree that some works needs to be done. I am brand loyal ... but not brand blind either. Maybe 2012 ?? :thumbsup:

Just a few years ago, the rankings were in the reverse order, so its hard to insinuate bias.

Either way, most people rank the bike currently under their butt as the best bike ever made ... human instinct :blah:

At least MXA is willing to give the pros and cons to every bike. I have slammed them in the past, but I would rather read their assessment over a few of the other mags who are wearing "insert color" glasses.:ride:

Everybody is saying that the Honda is lighter than the other brands, and say it in a positive way.

BUT !....and I am saying BUT, maybe that is one of the roots for the bad handling chassi. Maybe it is too lightweight. Thats why it handles so nervous and unpredictable. (Combined with the stinkbug issue of course.)

My YZ450F is a heavy pig compared to Honda CRF450 but handles so much more stable and predictable. Maybe light isn´t good after all !

I might comeback to red, but not until they get everything sorted, thats for sure.

It´s sad, because it is a damn nice looking bike ! :thumbsup: