Dead Spark

2008 XR650 L 08 l was running perfectly, then at lunchtime I stopped and it was a pig to start (no pun intended) got it running on the starter motolr , ran well and then got home - cleaned it - tried to start it with no joy. Checked plug, no spark - fitted new plug - no spark - any quick solutions from you experts please?

I was looking at the wiring diagram and manual and it says remove wires from electronic box by the battery - test black and white and green and white - the green goes to earth on neutral and when it is in gear but stops when side stand is put down

There are two wires that are B/W one in the two pin connector and one in the four pin - which one do I test please? Seem to get different results from each one....

check your cdi

take the CDI out(next to the battery) and while still plugged in flip it over and smack the back of it with a screwdriver handle,,,sharply,,all over.....if it starts you know the CDI needs either repairing or replacing...

B

If you want to eliminate the possibility of a safety switch issue, connect the two wires at the clutch switch and try to start.

If you want to eliminate the possibility of a safety switch issue, connect the two wires at the clutch switch and try to start.

Connect both to ground- connecting together bypasses clutch switch but not neutral/kickstand switches.

Dave

Connect both to ground- connecting together bypasses clutch switch but not neutral/kickstand switches.

Dave

So it's been awhile!

:thumbsup:

Agree... definitely eliminate issues with the clutch, sidestand, and on/off switches before going after the CDI.

Thanks all for the advice - I had done all of the usual checks but nothing seemed to work. Purely by accident I hit one of the fuse's and all of a sudden I had a spark. Checked all fuses and cleaned the holder and gave it a good bath in WD50 and everything seems to be working correctly.

need to sit and look at the wiring diagram to see what fuse controls what but am just happy that the bike is now running - again many thanks to all of you for your help and advice.