CR500 Decompression Valve (Pics)

Larry has another VERY satisfied customer. Absolutely, looks like it came from the factory this way. 👍:blah:

If you're interested in having this done, contact Larry at 815-623-8940 after 5 Central time weekdays, anytime weekends, or email him at wiechman@charter.net .

The cost was $125.00 plus return shipping which was $10.70 USPS Priority Medium Flat Rate Box. Can't beat that. :ride:

IMG_2024_web.jpg

IMG_2026_web.jpg

IMG_2027_web.jpg

• Like 1

Larry has another VERY satisfied customer. Absolutely, looks like it came from the factory this way. 👍:blah:

If you're interested in having this done, contact Larry at 815-623-8940 after 5 Central time weekdays, anytime weekends, or email him at wiechman@charter.net .

The cost was $125.00 plus return shipping which was $10.70 USPS Priority Medium Flat Rate Box. Can't beat that. :ride:

IMG_2024_web.jpg

IMG_2026_web.jpg

IMG_2027_web.jpg

i havent installed my head yet but was wondering what you gonna do to paint or smooth it out. looks good the way it is but kinda ruff and will be hard to clean and get dirt out.

i havent installed my head yet but was wondering what you gonna do to paint or smooth it out. looks good the way it is but kinda ruff and will be hard to clean and get dirt out.

I'm thinking about just leaving it bare anyway. Not sure though. Haven't gotten my frame back from AJ so I have some time to think about it. 👍

Thanks guys.

Edited by HrcRacing

you could polish it or have it powdercoated.... i need to have larry do my cr5 head now that its going in my 97 cr250 AF chassis... 👍 thats the nicest/cleanest install ive seen of the compression releases.... :blah:

you could polish it or have it powdercoated.... i need to have larry do my cr5 head now that its going in my 97 cr250 AF chassis... 👍 thats the nicest/cleanest install ive seen of the compression releases.... :blah:

yea, very happy with mine as well. he is one of the most respectful guys i have met. i will always try to refer people to him to give him some buisenes. i think powder coat might be the way to go

Wow every one of Larry's heads are perfect- On my wish list too!

Has any one devised a hot start clutch perch, cable and bracket system to actuate Larry's DeComp mod?

yea they do it on other cr500 forums, i believe larry makes them as well

smoothing it to give a similar finish as the frame might look nice. I kept looking at the blasted surface thinking the same..

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread...  but Larry is still out there doing these.  Price is still reasonable at $150 for his very clean work.  Uses a new better valve too.  His email is still current...  so have confidence using him.

This is a photo of a recent head with the new valve. 

cr500af_decomp_01.jpg

I didn't want any down time...  so Larry suggested Motosport for a replacement head.  I was able to buy a new Honda OEM head for $86...  have it delivered directly to Larry...  and he'll send it back to me via priority mail when it's decomp'd.

Thanks Larry !

• 1 year later...

It's been a couple years so wanted to bump this thread.  Larry is still doing the decompression valve mod and the quality is still amazing!  He did the head of my 94 CR500 back in March 2015.

I cannot believe how awesome this mod has been... XR100 style starts -every- time!  Just press the button, kick it over, it fires right up easily and off you go. Enjoy such time honored classics as:  easy start sitting down all exhausted on the seat... easy start in 1st gear with the clutch in...  easy roll starts on mellow hills (press in the button then start rolling and any hill will work)... and maybe my favourite is easy cold starts at the beginning of the day (hold the button down as you gently kick it over slowly a few times and it fires right up!  Never leave the truck already exhausted!).

Larry is now charging $150 plus $13 return shipping.   Paypal is 4% extra to cover the cost.  

He will ask what location you want it in.. he said most people choose the 9 o' clock position so that's what I asked for.  That works out perfectly for being easy to reach while on the bike and out of the way of everything else.

IMG_20150326_162106_zpsngqc7a5q.jpg

IMG_20150326_162051_zps0ihieaot.jpg

IMG_20150326_162129_zpsmwjr2tmf.jpg

and installed on the bike:

IMG_20150326_164611_zpsd6o12pgp.jpg

Simply cannot recommend this mod enough... do yourself a favor and save your energy for wrestling that 500, not trying to get it started!

Edited by damien_vancouver
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just had Larry do mine, and he noted that the valve location can be changed if you have an oversize tank.  Get the tank and see where you have room, and mark the head before sending to him.  He's also pretty accessible, so give him a shout and chat about it with him. Not quite able to start it in flip flops yet, but it is a big difference, and def worth the money.

Anyone know if this fits with an IMF tank?

Trying to build a snowbike out of a CR500, and i think this mod would make life very nice!

PZ

I don't know about the IMF, but here is a picture of mine all back together with the tank on.  This is a UFO tank. 

cr500-decomp-ufo-tank_zpsareai1ht.jpg

As you can see there is a fair bit of clearance, but you could always ask for it in the 10 o'clock position or something like that to get it further to the left of where it is in my picture... that would allow you extra room for the tank to come down there if it's in the way.  Hopefully this picture gives you an idea of where 9 o clock would be and you can figure it out from the shape of the tank if you have it already.

I hear this mod is essential for snow bike conversions.  My buddy told me horror stories of seeing guys with their pant leg ripped open and their leg bleeding everywhere from them trying to start their flooded bike without the decomp valve!  nasty!!

Edited by damien_vancouver

I don't know about the IMF, but here is a picture of mine all back together with the tank on.  This is a UFO tank. 

cr500-decomp-ufo-tank_zpsareai1ht.jpg

As you can see there is a fair bit of clearance, but you could always ask for it in the 10 o'clock position or something like that to get it further to the left of where it is in my picture... that would allow you extra room for the tank to come down there if it's in the way.  Hopefully this picture gives you an idea of where 9 o clock would be and you can figure it out from the shape of the tank if you have it already.

I hear this mod is essential for snow bike conversions.  My buddy told me horror stories of seeing guys with their pant leg ripped open and their leg bleeding everywhere from them trying to start their flooded bike without the decomp valve!  nasty!!

Great info!  The IMF tank is quite a bit different than the UFO tank.  Unfourtuantly my bike is in pieces right now and the cylinder and head are on there way to CA for some boring/porting.  When it gets back and put together I will have to look for a spot.

I didn't hear anything that extream... Just tried to kick my KX500 a few times last year and decided it needed to happen.  Some guys are saying they can start their bike sitting down with a de-comp :ride:

PZ

• 2 years later...