Sign in to follow this  

crf 230 timing

I have a question regarding the timing on the 230. I have been working with a friend of mine on his bike and the short story is that his timing chain tensioner went bad, so replaced the tensioner and the chain. We are aware that there may be valve issues, but the main question we have is the lines on the cam sprocket and where they should be. I have read that they should be vertical of each other, one at the top and one at the bottom, and another place they said that they should be one across from the other when the crank is at tdc. We had it running fairly good last night but not under a load. Under a load it cuts out, but my friend played with the timing some more, and now it wont run at all. Also, how to you set the cam sprocket lines and know that your not 180 degrees out of time? Any help would be appreciated.

• Like 1

Best I rememeber from my old 200s Cam timing is TDC (mark on flywheel under plug) and lines horizontal along top of head. If cam is 90 degrees off, it won't run bad, it wond run.

Did you bend the valves. On my 400 & 600 they bent when chain jumped. What about ignition timing? Probably not on end of cam like old 200s.

On the 200s the cam timing is done with the crank at TDC, cam lobes down (both valves closed), with the mark on the cam sprocket up and aligned to a notch in the cam cover. At this point you bolt the sprocket to the cam using the two bolts. Done. I assume the 230 has something similar.

On almost everything except the 200 ignition timing is driven by a sensor on the flywheel with the ignition advance curve in the CDI box.

at TDC the lines on the cam spocket should be horizontal and the cam lobes should be face down.

good luck!

at TDC the lines on the cam spocket should be horizontal and the cam lobes should be face down. good luck!

That is the way I remember it but actually it doesn't matter which way the cam is just bolt sprocket on it. With lobes down it just makes it easier with no spring pressure on lobes.