crf 230 timing

I have a question regarding the timing on the 230. I have been working with a friend of mine on his bike and the short story is that his timing chain tensioner went bad, so replaced the tensioner and the chain. We are aware that there may be valve issues, but the main question we have is the lines on the cam sprocket and where they should be. I have read that they should be vertical of each other, one at the top and one at the bottom, and another place they said that they should be one across from the other when the crank is at tdc. We had it running fairly good last night but not under a load. Under a load it cuts out, but my friend played with the timing some more, and now it wont run at all. Also, how to you set the cam sprocket lines and know that your not 180 degrees out of time? Any help would be appreciated.

• Like 1

Best I rememeber from my old 200s Cam timing is TDC (mark on flywheel under plug) and lines horizontal along top of head. If cam is 90 degrees off, it won't run bad, it wond run.

Did you bend the valves. On my 400 & 600 they bent when chain jumped. What about ignition timing? Probably not on end of cam like old 200s.

On the 200s the cam timing is done with the crank at TDC, cam lobes down (both valves closed), with the mark on the cam sprocket up and aligned to a notch in the cam cover. At this point you bolt the sprocket to the cam using the two bolts. Done. I assume the 230 has something similar.

On almost everything except the 200 ignition timing is driven by a sensor on the flywheel with the ignition advance curve in the CDI box.

at TDC the lines on the cam spocket should be horizontal and the cam lobes should be face down. good luck!

That is the way I remember it but actually it doesn't matter which way the cam is just bolt sprocket on it. With lobes down it just makes it easier with no spring pressure on lobes.

• 10 years later...

This best way to make sure to find out u on TDS. I think it works with all 4 strokes. U want ur rocker arm to be loose. The engine is on compression stroke if the rocker arm can be moved slightly by hand that means exhaust intake valves are closed.If the rocker arm is tied the engine is on its exhaust stroke and the exhaust valves are open. If the rocker arm is tight turn the crank shaft clockwise on one full turn to realigned the TDS Mark. On CRF 450 cam sprocket marks will be horizontal. But it’s hard not to see those marks. If u not on marks, it would back fire or hard to start. 

10 minutes ago, Ivan Mosh said:

This best way to make sure to find out u on TDS. I think it works with all 4 strokes. U want ur rocker arm to be loose. The engine is on compression stroke if the rocker arm can be moved slightly by hand that means exhaust intake valves are closed.If the rocker arm is tied the engine is on its exhaust stroke and the exhaust valves are open. If the rocker arm is tight turn the crank shaft clockwise on one full turn to realigned the TDS Mark. On CRF 450 cam sprocket marks will be horizontal. But it’s hard not to see those marks. If u not on marks, it would back fire or hard to start. 

I just need to know that line to use on the flywheel when installing the timing chain"

3 hours ago, Tom Santee said:

I just need to know that line to use on the flywheel when installing the timing chain"

“IT” that’s marking u want on fly wheel. I think most bikes will have same marks. I’ve seen some bikes will have 2 marks IT, 180 degree from each other on flywheel. It all about making sure valves are closed, and rocker arms are loose. 

• 1 year later...
On 4/12/2023 at 8:40 PM, KulAdventures said:

My 2005 CRF230F had two 3 lines:

One has a F and the other two are just two lines next to each other.  

Which one is TDC?

There is another line marked with a “T” slightly past those marks. 

if it is hard to see the shine a very bright flash light in the inspection hole. Your fly will will not stay on the mark because if the flywheel magnets. Use a six point socket with a 3/8 breaker bar and a bungee cord wrapped around the foot peg to hold flywheel in position. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1