How much should front forks compress when rider gets on?

Ok, my last thread was not very accurate and the search didn't give me any results. So I would like to know how much should front forks compress when rider gets on?

Or simply, how many milimeters should forks compress from the bike's weight and how many milimeters should forks additionaly compress when rider gets on?

The rear sag is very important. But just as we set rear sag, front sag is not less important. The forks should sit in the proper level of the stroke, right?

At the moment my forks compress 35mm from the bike's weight and additionally compress only 20 mm when I get on the bike. Full travel is 305mm. I believe that this is way too little, isn't it?

Do this: http://www.moto-pro.com/downloads.asp

Then carefully pry the dust wipers down from the seals and clean the area. Apply a finger swipe of fork oil around tube just below seals. Bounce the bike. Repeat several times. Slip dust seals back in place and re-check sag.

At 145 lbs you will need softer springs. But the forks have to move freely to check sag. Probably somewhere around .40 springs?

• Experts
Do this: http://www.moto-pro.com/downloads.asp

Then carefully pry the dust wipers down from the seals and clean the area. Apply a finger swipe of fork oil around tube just below seals. Bounce the bike. Repeat several times. Slip dust seals back in place and re-check sag.

At 145 lbs you will need softer springs. But the forks have to move freely to check sag. Probably somewhere around .40 springs?

?

I like to use Silicone spray lubricate to minimize seal stiction while checking sag. But what Lew says is a great idea.

An other trick is measure were your forks stay when riding flat terrain. Have a look at your forkleg protector. Keep in mind that you have to ride it with a half full tank to get the best estimate.

At a certain point on the protector i know what my sag is.

I ride at aprox 70mm.

The measuring device for fork springs can be done by putting weight on the spring and measure the difference when increasing the weight. A weight of a lifterweight is nice.

I was looking for big weights which I could use for spring rate test and couldn't find anything. Then I thought that the car battery or two batteries would work. Just need to weigh them before test.

perfect ?

just read a weight for a 72Ah battery as 17kg, that's enough