Upper Penn Single track

Michigan
Thanks 2trakR...I just ordered the VVmapping CD :cheers: Is it worth while trying to track down some 6 days gps tracks in order to connect the different areas? Are those trails one ride only? I dont want to piss off any land owners.

SkisNH

VVmapping is they way to go! :ride:

You can ride them as many times as you want. If you mean are they one direction only, then no, all public trails in Michigan are both directions.

VVmapping is they way to go! :cheers:

You can ride them as many times as you want. If you mean are they one direction only, then no, all public trails in Michigan are both directions.

Jim...I am referring to the 6 days of MI ride. I was offered gps tracks from the 6 days 2 years ago...to they ride on private property to connect trails?

Jim...I am referring to the 6 days of MI ride. I was offered gps tracks from the 6 days 2 years ago...to they ride on private property to connect trails?

Last year I helped mark Drummond Island for the 6 days and it was all public land. We ran sweep for Kenross and that was all public too. I think they run it on all public land but I'm not sure. cmore or yzman400 probably know.

Six Days has historically used public land for their stuff, though private might have snuck in there once or twice, I can't say for certain.

If you are looking for connecting GPS track options, I suggest the Great Lakes Dual Sporter's Expedition Michigan. One their website, free download, maps and GPS tracks. http://gldsmc.org/GLDSEXmi.html

We laid out the Six Days routes from Newberry several times, back in ~2004 era. Not sure if they are still using those or what. The GLDS stuff would be better for connecting trails, the Six Days routes don't make the best use of the trails (ie don't use the entire trail).

Hi Guys,

My group met last night to to plan the trip. We are thinking the KOA campground in Newberry, some feed back about the campground would be great. Also, how early can we come ride. Will the trails be ready at the end of April? our next window when we could go is the third week of June.

Thanks

SkisNH

So is it going to be the 3rd week of June? Would that be the 13th or 20th?

Hopefully I will be checking out Tomahawk the end of this week and the beginning of the next! I had (ended up) to drive around 5 hours to find a place without snow a couple of weeks ago to ride. :thumbsup:

Hopefully I will be checking out Tomahawk the end of this week and the beginning of the next! I had (ended up) to drive around 5 hours to find a place without snow a couple of weeks ago to ride. :thumbsup:

My plan is to leave after work on Friday the 10th and drive through the night...rest sat. then ride Sunday through Thursday.

Great thread, just subscribing for the solid info!

I'm just about to buy new tires for the trip....what works best up there? I usually run a D803 trials tire on the rear and a Bridgestone M59 upfront.

Departure for the trip was moved one week we are leaving after work on the 16th

Thanks

SkisNh

For DOT, front- Pirelli scorpian pro, rear- trackmaster II

Non DOT, Michelin S-12xc's seem to handle sand and just about everything else Michigan's thrown at me so far. I haven't been on a trail yet that didn't have at least a few stretches of deep sand.

I'm sure some of the more seasoned riders can throw up a few more combo's.

Bring your bug spray....by the gallon. I was up north of Newberry 2 weeks ago and the bugs were already a touch beyond tolerable when at-camp. Even the 98% deet needed to be reapplied every 40 minutes when not riding.

That being said...the riding was great.

Bring your bug spray....by the gallon. I was up north of Newberry 2 weeks ago and the bugs were already a touch beyond tolerable when at-camp. Even the 98% deet needed to be reapplied every 40 minutes when not riding.

Where did you camp? We are planning on going to the Bass Lake State Forest Campground later this month to camp and ride. For the weekend riding, we're planning on Kinross on the drive up, probably Silver Creek which is right out of the campground on Saturday and then Sandtown on Sunday on the way back home. We've camped there the last 2 years, but I don't remember the bugs being too bad.

Oh, and S-12s get my vote. They can chunk a bit when it gets rocky, but ultimately I don't care as all I do is trail ride for fun.

Where did you camp? We are planning on going to the Bass Lake State Forest Campground later this month to camp and ride. For the weekend riding, we're planning on Kinross on the drive up, probably Silver Creek which is right out of the campground on Saturday and then Sandtown on Sunday on the way back home. We've camped there the last 2 years, but I don't remember the bugs being too bad.

Oh, and S-12s get my vote. They can chunk a bit when it gets rocky, but ultimately I don't care as all I do is trail ride for fun.

We camped not far from Holland Lake. Quick access to both Two Hearted and Pine Creek trails. We've seen worse bug situations, but this one was right up there. We typically try to hit the UP as close to the snow melting as possible. Late April/early May seems to be prime time up there.

I run Dunlop 756's and have always been happy with them. I've also heard good things about the S12's, however. Two of the guys I ride with run them and love them.

When we rode here last weekend and the mosquitoes were so thick it was crazy.....we are going to tomahawk first then newberry. It always such great to ride new stuff...the three of us are very excited!!!!!!

Let me know when you are going to hit Kinross, if you are looking for someone to ride with... A couple of us Canadians like to shoot over there for some after work ridin...:ride:

Black Flies and no see ums as well as mosquitoes are going to be plentiful. When you stop in the Shade, the mosquitoes find you after about 1 minute. If you stop in the sun, the Black flies find you in a minute. Basically, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't, unless you have repellent. I also found that bug spray has a peculiar reaction with plastic chest protectors. It eats into the plastic, leaving a hazey finish.

For DOT, front- Pirelli scorpian pro, rear- trackmaster II

+1

Even if I didn't need dot tires I would still run the scorpion pro.... The kenda is a pretty good tire too.

There was a campground ( rustic) south of Bass Lake. It was on either 581 or 438. Same Rd, the two just run together. I couldn't tell if its still open.

Hopefully I will be checking out Tomahawk the end of this week and the beginning of the next! I had (ended up) to drive around 5 hours to find a place without snow a couple of weeks ago to ride. :lol:

Hi Jim....We will be at http://www.chandlerhillcampground.com/ friday afternoon through monday then moving to newberry. if you want to ride PM me I'll get you my cell # :ride:

There was a campground ( rustic) south of Bass Lake. It was on either 581 or 438. Same Rd, the two just run together. I couldn't tell if its still open.

Are you talking about Horseshoe lake campground? I know when I was up there last year with the club, a few people rode to Bass Lake right from the campground. The owners are an elderly couple, the husband was a jet pilot in the military.

Hi Jim....We will be at http://www.chandlerhillcampground.com/ friday afternoon through monday then moving to newberry. if you want to ride PM me I'll get you my cell # :lol:

Sure wish I could...working this weekend. I was up there last weekend, rode most of c -loop Saturday afternoon after golfing 18 holes by Gaylord. They had a lot of rain earlier in the week and there was still some water spots (nothing deep just puddles or in whoops). You should have low or little dust and I would think most of the puddles will be gone.

Have fun and stay safe! :ride: Post up a :lol: report when you get back!