KLX300 Broken Idler Gear...Where's the tooth?

Hi All,

Well, in my last thread I mentioned the "occasional slippage" of the kickstart, which I thought might be a broken Idler. Took the cover off to check this evening and sure enough the Idler has a tooth missing!! My question is....where is it likely to be? Has anyone else had experience of this? Is it likely to come out with the oil? Oil filter? Or is it likely to be stuck somewhere else? A new Idler is on order.....could the tooth have been missing for some time and come out in an oil change by the previous owner? I have not ridden the bike yet, just started it a couple of times and then set about sorting the known weakness's.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Rog

There's an oil filter (a flat metal screen) that's behind the right side outer case cover...part #49065. You'll need to remove the clutch cover, clutch & right side engine cover to expose it. It is most likely caught there. This is sort of a pre-filter to keep large metal pieces from entering the oil system and creating mucho havoc.

go here for parts diagram- www.kawasakiepc.com/SystemSearch_Frames.cfm?QuickSearch=1&SearchFor=KLX300%2DA7&SearchBy=Model&cGroupID=&CFID=5118563&CFTOKEN=12804485

then select "oil pump" for filter image, then go to "engine covers" for somewhat of a view of where the filter is located. They don't show the actual pre-filter in this image, but it goes right above the '14032A' part number...bottom, middle of right engine case.

• 1 month later...

What's the update? Did you find the tooth? When that happened to me, I ended up removing the engine and washing it out with diesel (in the case). I found it in the internal screen filter. Had the darn thing gone into my tranny, it would have been a freaking mess.

Yeah, found the tooth in the clutch housing just below the idler using a magnetic probe. New gear fitted, shimmed, oil and filter changed......just need to find a bit of riding time now!!