Sign in to follow this  

2005 CR125 Engine for SLOW woods riding?

I'm weaning out my four strokes for 2 stroke bikes. Don't want to start a CR125 engine comparison/bashing here, but how is the 2005 engine for SLOW woods riding? I mean real slow.... It will be jetted correctly and have the right gearing. Will it perform without constant clutching? Can I run in second or third gear and get away with it or am I going to need to "be on the pipe" in a lower gear. Have a 2000 250 EXC so it chugs right along, but we're looking at different animals here I know. Thanks for your experienced input..

I'm weaning out my four strokes for 2 stroke bikes. Don't want to start a CR125 engine comparison/bashing here, but how is the 2005 engine for SLOW woods riding? I mean real slow.... It will be jetted correctly and have the right gearing. Will it perform without constant clutching? Can I run in second or third gear and get away with it or am I going to need to "be on the pipe" in a lower gear. Have a 2000 250 EXC so it chugs right along, but we're looking at different animals here I know. Thanks for your experienced input..

I don't think that what you are describing is technically possible. You may be able to get closer to what you are describing with a 144 kit with low end porting though.

I mean real slow.... Will it perform without constant clutching? Can I run in second or third gear and get away with it

This scenario is just one of the reasons why I have a CR500...

A 125, to me, is a "pin it and do WFO shifts" kind of bike. :excuseme:

Yeah, Selling my mighty XR650R though....

buy a CRF150 or 230 for those conditions

Sold 230 3 months ago. Hoping to go 2 stroke...

a 12-54 combo and it should chug right along anywhere in second gear.....if you want more do the Eric Gorr 144 kit.

My 2002 can jug along on flat ground just find and never foul plugs.....Its still good to brappp it ever now agin to keep the fuel from pooling in crankcase though.

I do not care what others think. The 125 can be made to do most any riding you want with it.

get a flywheel wight for it, and 12-54 gearing, 50:1 pre mix and itll do it just fine.

hit up Ron_M 'bout this. He does that. I rode one and couldn't get it to spin up fast enough for me on the single track. They are just torque deficient if you weigh over 200 lbs. :excuseme: Others do well on them but they weigh less. It's physics unfortunately. AFAIK, a JD jet kit and the huge rear sprocket helps.

If you find a good deal on a '05+ YZ125 or any 250F you might try that too. Light weight fun power in da woods. The CR will do it but it takes more work than most to make competent.

my guess would be no.... if you want a woods bike buy a 4 stroke.. 2 strokes are ment to be wide open on tracks because they are race bikes. i dont see why you want a top end bike for woods anyway just go out and buy something thats already made for the woods.. dont get me wrong i love my 125 but there supposed to be on tracks or wide open

2 strokes are awesome in the woods. i havent ever had a 125 int he woods but with the proper set-up it would do it if the rider isnt heavy/

flywheel weight and change the gearing go up a few teeth on the back sprocket. I had a yz 125 and it was cheap so i didnt want to put any money into it cause i knew i was getting a 300 ktm. i just held it wide and when i wasnt it was cause the clutch was in. Then i got the 300 and it was like chuging along. I prefer the 125 over the ktm300 cause its light and fast if you can keep it on the pipe. I race hare scrambles just got a yz 250 and on the 125 the best advice is to just hold it wide.

I do not care what others think. The 125 can be made to do most any riding you want with it.

True, but where a 125 shines is during higher RPMs. I agree you can dial a 125 in for what the OP is looking for.

OP, if you want to do it on a 2t, is a larger displacement than 125 an option? A second 250, to go along with your 250 EXC, but dialed in for slow technical trails might be the answer. I have been slowly setting up my 500 to be an asset whether in technical or open trail, and it does the slow stuff just fine as it is very luggable, and sometimes you just need to lightly bump it here and there in the tight stuff while keeping the RPMs relatively low, even just above idle. Alternatively, when you need the power, or for it to pull from low to long in a gear, it won't complain then, either. :excuseme:

Why would you even mess with a 125 when there are 200's and 220's specifically for this task?

KTM and kawaski

I realize there are better bikes for woods riding; I own one. Had a line on a 250R but I didn't trust the owner. The 125 would be too small for me at 270 but my sons are less than 200 lbs. I wouldn't want to get involved with engine mods but I would gear and add a flywheel weight. I'm not an aggressive rider at all...I could doze off while riding. But the sons may like the bike and overall the 2005 CR125 seems to be a decent bike.

I realize there are better bikes for woods riding; I own one. Had a line on a 250R but I didn't trust the owner. The 125 would be too small for me at 270 but my sons are less than 200 lbs. I wouldn't want to get involved with engine mods but I would gear and add a flywheel weight. I'm not an aggressive rider at all...I could doze off while riding. But the sons may like the bike and overall the 2005 CR125 seems to be a decent bike.

I own a 2006 (really the same bike) and the quick answer is "not unless you want to really bad". They are an excellent handling bike, and in most every other aspect they are a great trail bike, but the bottom end is um.....less than steller. Compared to 125's from the 80's and early 90's they are way more like a pro motocross bike than like something you'd start a 125 beginner on. There are several inexpensive things you can to to make it better, but without sending it off to an engine builder to lower the exhaust port and fill in the transfers (around $200 to $300) it's not going to be great at threading between the trees.

this is my first time in ST on the 125. I've since learnt to be a little smoother. They chug along fine. Saying that you still need to use your clutch lots. The more seat time the less clutch you will need.

here's another one, listen to the engine. It's quite low revs

this is more open, the hill is quite steep and very rocky. It doesnt really show in the video but the bike pulls quite well

Edited by coley13
wrong link
  • Like 1

here's another one, listen to the engine. It's quite low revs

this is more open, the hill is quite steep and very rocky. It doesnt really show in the video but the bike pulls quite well

If you don't mind answering.... In the first vid, what gear are you in for the most part? What is your gearing? Do you have a flywheel weight on the bike?