Sign in to follow this  

Pilot jet removal - made easier (???)

I know that there are different methods of changing your pilot without having to pull the carb and it can't be rotated enough - Cut off or bent screwdrivers etc...Here's one to try, if you haven't already.

Use a 1" section from a 4mm allen key and grind the end to a flat blade, so that it is a 'nice' fit in your pilot jet.

9ffc2c9c.jpg

Take a piece of shrink-wrap and slide it onto the allen(hex) key, leaving about 1/8" past the ground end.

a9b529b1.jpg

Take a pilot jet, smear some silicone grease on the end and insert it into the shrink wrap so that it 'engages' with the flat blade - and heat it.

ec29216c.jpg

The jet will slip out easily to leave you with your tool. Use a 1/4" ratchet with a 4mm socket for easy installation & removal thru' the 17mm nut on the carb bowl.

5b2e2330.jpg

Remember - Don't go mad when tightening - finger tight, then 1/8 of a turn.

dunno what bike that applies to, but with my 01 ktm 520exc, i just loosen the clamps either side of the carb and twist it to the side, take off the float bowl and switch the jet with a regular screw driver

I know that there are different methods of changing your pilot without having to pull the carb and it can't be rotated enough.........

Bikes, like people.... are different....:excuseme:

Nice idea....I use the Motion Pro 90 Degree tool. But it is a pain to get the pilot up there......

+1. Yeah the MP is nice on removal, but a PITA going in :excuseme:

dunno what bike that applies to, but with my 01 ktm 520exc, i just loosen the clamps either side of the carb and twist it to the side, take off the float bowl and switch the jet with a regular screw driver

Note that with all FCR carbs that both the pilot and main jets can easily be removed through the float bowl drain plug opening without removing the float bowl.

Note that with all FCR carbs that both the pilot and main jets can easily be removed through the float bowl drain plug opening without removing the float bowl.

not gen 1's. you can only get the main jet out through the drain plug hole.

Nice tip (apologies for the pun); I am part way their having ground off a hex drive bit to fit the mixture screw and jammed it into into a crimp connector outer that fit over the screw. Your idea is way better.

Maybe do same for a mixture screw adjuster but mark the blade position on the side of the shrink wrap so you know where it is.