Sign in to follow this  

How do you remove graphics from the tank?...

I want to remove the damaged stock graphics from my tank. Is there an easy method?

Thanks,

The stock graphics material is very thin and can be tough and time consuming to remove. I guess it depends on what you call "easy".

You could try the heat gun method, but you have to be very careful not to overheat and deform the tank.

Are you going to put on new graphics? If so, most new graphics are a thicker vinyl and are susceptible to bubbling. Has anyone ever left the stock graphics on and laid the new graphics over them? The idea being that it might decrease the chances of bubbling due to the plastic leaching fuel vapors.

Are you going to put on new graphics?

Thanks for the tips.

No, I like the plain (stealth) look on by bikes.

I used some of that orange solvent to dissolve the adhesive then plenty of soap and water to remove the solvent. You just have to soak it and let IT work.

I used goo gone oramge stuff after peeling off as much as possible. Works good, took me about an hour. :smirk:

Use a heat gun carefully, the idea is to heat the adhesive and peel it off. Then some denatured alcahol in a spray bottle and some paper towels to clean it up.

I used a method that barely use any specialty liquid at all since I hate trips to the home depot to buy 1 thing, then coming back with 6 or 7 items I don't need!

Leave over night with a light coat of hand cream so the dried crackled graphic get's a little moist. Heat gun in low or hair dryer heating a section at a time and using a plastic putty knife or spreader go I section at a time. The rest of the nasty adhesive can come of with goo gone.. Worked for me!

The stock graphics material is very thin and can be tough and time consuming to remove. I guess it depends on what you call "easy".

You could try the heat gun method, but you have to be very careful not to overheat and deform the tank.

Are you going to put on new graphics? If so, most new graphics are a thicker vinyl and are susceptible to bubbling. Has anyone ever left the stock graphics on and laid the new graphics over them? The idea being that it might decrease the chances of bubbling due to the plastic leaching fuel vapors.

Thats not what causes the bubbles. It the expansion and contraction of the tank from the fuel inside it.

Does that also cause the graphics adhesive to turn to mush?

Thats not what causes the bubbles. It the expansion and contraction of the tank from the fuel inside it.

the bubbles are caused by the gas vapors migrating through the tank plastic

thats why some on the aftermarket graphics have holes pierced in them

Agreed. Even with the holes, they don't last long.

the bubbles are caused by the gas vapors migrating through the tank plastic

thats why some on the aftermarket graphics have holes pierced in them

+2 on the hair drier, heat it up hot (like its been sitting in the hot sun on a burning hot day) use a fingernail to start removal of the old graphics at an edge pull very slowly as the material gets hot from the drier, dont get in a hurry and it should come off in one or two pieces, then use some cleaner to get any of the goo left behind. maybe there is an easier way but If you use chemicals you gotta clean them up after, a heat gun costs money and for me I wouldnt use it enough to justify the cost...

A good soaking with a rag with Wax & Grease remover should get rid of them quite easily without too much scraping/force, The same stuff they use to clean surfaces before automotive painting, Wont hurt the plastic and dissolves the adhesive under the graphics or stickers, Good for totally removing old sticker residue too

It will evaporate and be totally gone when finished also