Touring on my DR

Cheers all,

I own a 2006 DR650 and I am planning to do some touring on it in a few months. This bike will never be used off road unless I'm dodging a car.

I have made the following additions to add to my comfort. Sargent seat, new softer grips and a throttle rocker. All three of the additions really help especially the seat. What I'm looking for is any and all recommendations for other additions. Thank you in advance for your contributions.

Walkingscar

I'd bypass the clutch safety switch and perhaps the kickstand switch. Two known points of failure that can easily be eliminated. I'm sure others will come up with the good stuff, like bags, tools ect.

Have a good trip!

definately get a windshield. I have the spitfire, the screen itself is ok but the mounts are complete rubbish and put it in a bad spot, for that reason i'd recommend something else. But even a bad shield is better than no shield. I took it off after 6 hours in the saddle cause of head buffetting. I put it back on 10 mins later because the increase in pressure on your chest without one will cause you to fatigue MUCH quicker.

I had a set of lowering brackets made up for the rear pillion pegs a while ago, they not only make a pillion more comfortable and feel safer when leaning, it also gives you the ability to shift beween 2 riding positions. Just off the top of my head mine lower the pegs directly down by approx 5cm. If I got another set i'd be lowering them about 8cm, and also backwards about 3cm. Any decent engineering shop should be able to do this for you. The stock bracket remains in place, but you add a flat piece of steel with mounting holes between the peg and frame. Have a look here https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=845657&highlight= you can see my bracket in the first and last pic

If you can afford it, a zumo 550 is an AWESOME bit of gear. I love it to bits. Not only does it make onroad navigation a breeze in or out of cities, it makes offroad riding much more enjoyable because you can see exactly where you are, where you've been and you can map terrain much faster and easier without fear of getting lost. MP3 player is also nice for long trips, and the bluetooth gives you the ability to use a phone with it to receive/make calls. I use my zumo both on the bike and in the car. Works very well in both. I'd recommend a bluetooth mic and normal stereo earphones/headphones in your helmet

Fuel tank I personally think is not necessary, I like a slimmer feel up the front, but on the highway expect 2-2.5 hours between fuel stops. The zumo GPS also helps there as it has a fuel guage which I found to be very accurate

Windshield most definitely. I had a Spitfire and now have a Parabellum that I use when I'm going on a long trek where the most dirt I'll see is gravel roads. They really help when you're riding in cold weather.

Another thing would be hard bags. It's always nice to have a place to securely store things when you leave your bike unattended.

I agree with the other posts regarding keeping the steel tank. For one thing its key access only, its slimmer that the oversized, and since you're on the road, you probably won't be hurting for gas like you would in the boonies.

I personally don't believe you need to disconnect the kick stand switch unless you find it annoying. It won't hurt you at all on the road. Not sure it's even a big deal off road on this bike. The main safety concern is the switch activating when the kick stand drops after hitting a big jump. It was a bigger concern with the DRZ400S but I've never seen anyone launch DR high enough to have that happen. No safety issues just personal preference.

Auxiliary lights would also be helpful if you plan to ride after dark. The stock headlight sucks and can also be improved with a HID bulb.

Power outlet is also handy.

Hope this helps

I personally don't believe you need to disconnect the kick stand switch unless you find it annoying. It won't hurt you at all on the road. Not sure it's even a big deal off road on this bike. The main safety concern is the switch activating when the kick stand drops after hitting a big jump. It was a bigger concern with the DRZ400S but I've never seen anyone launch DR high enough to have that happen. No safety issues just personal preference.

You don't, the only concern is maybe dirt n crap building up inside and not letting it operate. Not the biggest concern as you can open and clean, or just cut the wires and splice if absolutely necessary. I've jumped the mighty DR reasonably high, high enough to hurt anyway and my stand has never come down or cut the engine. The pivot points for the spring are well located and I can't see it coming down

If you don't go off road I would recommend a 16t front sprocket. In general I like the ranges of the gears better with the 16, 1st gear can get you thru intersections w/o shifting and of course 5th can do high speed with less vibes.

Highway pegs are also nice - especially if it's hot. The hot air coming off the oil cooler will cook your leg. I mounted my passenger pegs on my skid plate (I think my garage has a pic of that).

obviously a rear rack with some type of luggage. for road use I have found the soft bags acceptable, but they lack security. If you think you are going to be in cities or away from your bike for periods of time, hard lockable luggage might be a good call

I have fitted bt45's to my DR. less vib, awsome grip in the wet, the origional trail wing would slide to easy, bt45 90/90/21front bt45 120/80/17 rear, will try a 130/80/17rear next, 130/70/17 is no good. the BT45's are duel compound ,harder center which is good for longer tyer life especially with heavy luggage.

I also use a ventura luggage system, 51liter bag that sits on rack, can zip an additional 30 liter bag to it, security could be a prob, I dont park in undesirable locations or leave it out over night, I also padlock it closed and to the bike as well, if they want it they will get it what ever you do. my locks will only take them longer to take it.

Wind shield is a must.

Don't bypass the side stand switch, safety, if you take off with the side stand down, you will remember it after the first left hand corner!!B)

Plan your trip well and rescurch your fuel stops, quality of fuel and frequency. DR 650 tank is small, I did 800km one day, stop every 160-200 km for fuel, good chance to rest legs and bum, the butt stoped hurting after 400km with the stock seet, couldn't feel it for 2 days.

Have fun ?

I like my Screens for Bikes windscreen. It works great and doesn't have anything that attaches to the handlebars. I also did a bar riser because it's easier when standing, and is more comfortable when sitting because it keeps me from slouching.

There are so many good mods to do to this bike, it's hard to decide where to start.

Rob

I have fitted bt45's to my DR. less vib, awsome grip in the wet, the origional trail wing would slide to easy, bt45 90/90/21front bt45 120/80/17 rear, will try a 130/80/17rear next, 130/70/17 is no good.

Have fun ?

These may be what I'm looking for as far as a street oriented tire. What was wrong with the 130/70-17? Does anyone have any reports on what kind of tire mileage these tires yield?

Thanks

Another tire to consider is the Skinko E-700. These are a knobby type, but they're great on the street and surprisingly good in the dirt. They were on my DR when I got it. I have about 3000 miles on them now and anticipate getting 5k out of the rear and probably 7-9k out of the front.

I know you said you weren't planning to leave the pavement, but if you did, these are a good tire. They're fine on dirt, unless it's really soft. They work well on gravel. They're awesome in the rain. I rode all during the huge rainstorm we had in SoCal a few weeks ago and never had any traction or hydroplaning issues. You can get a pair of them for under $100.

I think my next tires will be the Kenda close of the IRC GP110, but I want a second rear wheel to put a Dunlop D606 on for full dirt duty... going to Death Valley end of March and want to be prepared. ?

Rob

Another tire to consider is the Skinko E-700. These are a knobby type, but they're great on the street and surprisingly good in the dirt. They were on my DR when I got it. I have about 3000 miles on them now and anticipate getting 5k out of the rear and probably 7-9k out of the front.

I think my next tires will be the Kenda close of the IRC GP110, but I want a second rear wheel to put a Dunlop D606 on for full dirt duty... going to Death Valley end of March and want to be prepared. ?

Rob

I had a Shinko 700. At about 3K the contact point had about .062 of tread left. It is a great tire especially for the DR. Side wall is tough since its a tubeless which helps if (when) you get a flat. Off road they worked quite well in mud, sand, dirt and even some patches of slick red Georgia clay. As long as your not trying to climb a steep hill you should be OK.

I'm now on my second Kenda 270 rear. Its hard to believe but the K270 has lasted longer that the Shinko and its better off road. On roads you need to get used to the squishy cornering as the knobs give some in the corners. I put about 4.5K on my 1st rear tire. On my current rear (1K), I did spring a leak (nail) about 7 miles from the house. The tire deflated gradually and I road it for 5 miles until the bead popped off the rim. Kendas have a soft sidewall so don't expect it to behave like a runflat. It's a great tire for off road that's good on pavement if you can tolerate the weird cornering aspects.

I'm going to try the BS TW302 and TW301 next time. They appear to be somewhere in between the K270s and the E700s.

B):thumbsup:I would also recomend a windscreen,i use a maier,works pro:banana:,also what about a centerstand?for chain maintenance & cleaning.i use soft bags and it's nice having a place to bring anything and not have to carry it on your back:thumbsup:,hope this helps ya,safe trip long or short enjoy the ride,...:busted:?

also what about a centerstand?

for touring? whats wrong with inverted gravity? (think bike upside down). I changed my rear tyre in the middle of Sydney with the bike upside down on the street. Don't think the locals have ever seen anything like it ?

These may be what I'm looking for as far as a street oriented tire. What was wrong with the 130/70-17? Does anyone have any reports on what kind of tire mileage these tires yield?

Thanks

130/70/17 is too wide and short profile for the rim width,

got 10,000 km on the first rear bt45 i got

for touring? whats wrong with inverted gravity? (think bike upside down). I changed my rear tyre in the middle of Sydney with the bike upside down on the street. Don't think the locals have ever seen anything like it ?

Like your style:thumbsup:, but Last time I had a bike upside down the circumstancers were not favorable and don't want to go back there.

If you plan on cruising highway I will second the 16t counter shaft sprocket and windshield.

Looks like you already have the seat covered.

If you are running stock airbox and jetting then the stock muffler should keep the engine smooth.

I did notice that an aftermarket exhaust with more flow made for a smoother running engine. Tuned accordingly of course.

I rode across country 3 times on my 650 and higher handlebars with thick grips help and like some have posted, putting the feet on passenger pegs took some weight off the backside since your legs get coiled up and carry the brunt of it.

Plenty of ear plugs, road oriented tires, and a full service checking everything over before you leave should serve you well.

If you don't plan on staying on freeway too much then stock gearing always get the best gas mileage for me. Something about fifth gear between 50-60mph seemed to be the mileage sweet spot.

Also the center stand as mentioned above. Chain lubing never had it so good!

Enjoy your trip. I did around 6,000ish miles this summer as I went from upstate NY to FL and then to NV. Wish I could have kept going.

Gentlemen,

Thank you all for the suggestions. I have already put some of them into action. I have a parabellum windshield installed but not in the recommended manner. Kinda made it up. Works great. New more streamlined helmet. Worth every penny. Installed a heavy duty rack from ebay. I will mount new tires before leaving. I think I will pursue a center stand. All my other 4 bikes had one. I am fixed on clothing. One thing about the tank. I think getting off the bike about 100 miles is just right.

Walkingscar

BT-45's: I'm on my second rear one but I use a 140-70-17. I got a shade over 5000 miles on the first, though I ruined it by a long highway trip with too little pressure (~20 psi). I would estimate a lifespan around 7k if properly inflated and a bit higher with a less pinched profile. The harder center compound is noticable under braking too, so that's something to consider.

While using a 16 tooth front sprocket with the 42 on the back, mine wore down every other tooth on the rear stupidly fast. I got the front, rear, and chain as a set less than 8k ago too. 2nd-5th gears work very well but 1st is a bit more annoying at times. Then again, I may have been spoiled coming from many years of using the 14 tooth.