need to loose gut and feel better

As stated a few posts ago, the body is good at adapting so every 2-4 weeks, change the routine up. This keeps the body "guessing" and continues to build and tone the muscles. It also helps get over the proverbial "plateau" in weight loss as you are forcing the body to keep repairing itself and use different muscles. I don't count riding as cardio or exercies (although it is) but my trainer said since I ride so much, my body can adapt to it.

What has happened, is I can push a lot harder for improved times and have the ability to recover physically if I make a mistake like dump the bike, get stuck, have to pick the bike up over a log, or whatever that puts you into anaerobic state. Before doing this, it would take a bit of time to get my energy levels back up, heart rate down. Now that time has decreased significantly. This has helped me during my training rides where I do a 3hr scramble to get used to long course time lengths.

I noticed you are primary doing weights. The days you are not lifting, do some form of cardio. Running, swimming, bicycling, rowing or elliptical. This is what helps with weight loss as well and improving stamina. As you lift more, the muscles develop and start to consume fat.

This is an overview of my schedule

M- 3-5 mile run at 70% max pace sustained

Tu- trainer - upper/core

W - interval sprints, .5 mile warm up, 3 min sprint w/2 min jog (x6) with core workout afterwards

Thur - training - lower/core

Fri - 4 mile run sustained

Sat - 5-7 mile run, complete body weights at home (light weights, body weight, etc...)

Sun - training ride (no weights or cardio)

I also created a spreadsheet to keep track of my food intact and figure out my caloric intake. This is important as you try to keep your calories just below your daily intake to get into calorie deficit. This helps promote additional weightloss. Be careful here as you want to consume primary protein, vegetables with a little carbs. If you don't consume enough protein, your body starts using the muscle as food and store the fat, counter-intuitive of what you are trying to accomplish.

Thanks for the tips! I'm actually not using weights, the circuit training is a mix of intense cardio and strenght training, Starts out with a 5 min run then like 90 jumping jacks, 60 crunches, 25 pushups, more running and so on. I have started watching calories a little. I think a spread sheet is a great idea too. I have started eating smaller meals and supplement with veggie/fruit smoothies with whey protien. I've also starting having one for breakfast as I never used to eat breakfast. My calorie count and carb intake is much lower than before. Thanks to your guys help I think I'm on the right track, thanks again!

I cut out the budlight in the evenings too, I'm sure this is a big help. Next to kick the smokes to the curb, wish me luck!

As stated a few posts ago, the body is good at adapting so every 2-4 weeks, change the routine up. This keeps the body "guessing" and continues to build and tone the muscles. It also helps get over the proverbial "plateau" in weight loss as you are forcing the body to keep repairing itself and use different muscles. I don't count riding as cardio or exercies (although it is) but my trainer said since I ride so much, my body can adapt to it.

What has happened, is I can push a lot harder for improved times and have the ability to recover physically if I make a mistake like dump the bike, get stuck, have to pick the bike up over a log, or whatever that puts you into anaerobic state. Before doing this, it would take a bit of time to get my energy levels back up, heart rate down. Now that time has decreased significantly. This has helped me during my training rides where I do a 3hr scramble to get used to long course time lengths.

I noticed you are primary doing weights. The days you are not lifting, do some form of cardio. Running, swimming, bicycling, rowing or elliptical. This is what helps with weight loss as well and improving stamina. As you lift more, the muscles develop and start to consume fat.

This is an overview of my schedule

M- 3-5 mile run at 70% max pace sustained

Tu- trainer - upper/core

W - interval sprints, .5 mile warm up, 3 min sprint w/2 min jog (x6) with core workout afterwards

Thur - training - lower/core

Fri - 4 mile run sustained

Sat - 5-7 mile run, complete body weights at home (light weights, body weight, etc...)

Sun - training ride (no weights or cardio)

I also created a spreadsheet to keep track of my food intact and figure out my caloric intake. This is important as you try to keep your calories just below your daily intake to get into calorie deficit. This helps promote additional weightloss. Be careful here as you want to consume primary protein, vegetables with a little carbs. If you don't consume enough protein, your body starts using the muscle as food and store the fat, counter-intuitive of what you are trying to accomplish.

This is probably the best, most sensible and informed post I have seen on weight-loss and fitness on any forum.

Very well written too. ?

I find calorie counting too tedious and confusing... I eat small portioned meals/snacks 5-6 times per day. How am I to know how many calories are in home-made meals? Soups, pastas, sandwiches etc.

Things with nutritional fact labels are straight forward enough but my bananas, oranges, carrots, broccoli, blocks of cheese etc. don't come with a label.

I find calorie counting too tedious and confusing... I eat small portioned meals/snacks 5-6 times per day. How am I to know how many calories are in home-made meals? Soups, pastas, sandwiches etc.

Things with nutritional fact labels are straight forward enough but my bananas, oranges, carrots, broccoli, blocks of cheese etc. don't come with a label.

Youre right about that! I'm not too worried as I know I defenently kicked out a ton of bad crap and I'll stick with what I'm doing with food unless I find its not working. I'm not real fat so if I turn the little fat I have into muscle I may not loose any weight.

I know it feels time consuming but once you get it down, pretty quick as I keep a list of calories that my carrots, bananas, etc contain and just plug them in.

As long as I record everything, I feel pretty good about myself where I stand. I agree with eating several small meals throughout the day and that is what I do. Regarding home-made meals, kinda hard so you have to ball-park it based on research and go from there.

Is it required...no, but for some it helps. Personal preference I guess.

tech24 I cut out the budlight in the evenings too, I'm sure this is a big help. Next to kick the smokes to the curb, wish me luck!

Trust me...beer for me is hard to give up. Nothing like a cold one after a long hard ride so...I try to limit beer to one day a week. Like you, I have been trying to kick my dipping habit. Just one of those things I instinctively put in when going to wrench on the bike. It'll come but I am at the point where I might see a Dr. about cessation.

Trust me...beer for me is hard to give up. Nothing like a cold one after a long hard ride so...I try to limit beer to one day a week. Like you, I have been trying to kick my dipping habit. Just one of those things I instinctively put in when going to wrench on the bike. It'll come but I am at the point where I might see a Dr. about cessation.

No beer hasn't been to bad yet but it will be in the summer although after a hard workout its really the last thing I want.

Good luck on the tabacco....I quit smoking for an entire year and the cravings only managed to get worse and worse so I don't know what to do, its kinda a motivation killer plus I never felt any better or different except for the wallet was heavier, lol.

Speaking of P90X I just finished my 3rd day, and let me tell you...its kicking my 23 year old ass. Im not in bad shape , but I wanted to get toned up and build more muscle. This program is gonna do it for sure. Im still sore as hell from day 1. I would recomend it to anyone.

Well its been 3 weeks on the jillian michaels routine. I'm up to 5 days a week about 45 min a day. So far my pants are already starting to fall off. However I gained 1 lb. I guess building some muscle as I'm not real fat. I'm starting to feel a little more energy, nothing drastic but I'm not expecting miracles. Can't imagine what I'll be like if I keep it up. I've also drastcially changed my diet so that may be playing a large role too.

alright i will sound off for tony - p90x is a great answer to anyone who does not know what to do. i got it in a sealed box off of craigslist for $60. it answers any question you could ever have about health, fitness or diet and even includes several decent meal plans and dietary guidelines.

i'm 35 and finished the last of the 90 days 2 weeks ago, took a week off and yesterday started all over. i added an extra rest day in from time to time because of travel and the holidays but other than that, i did the program very closely to how it was intended (except i still drink a ton of beer.) i feel the best i have felt in 10 years in terms of flexibility, strength and endurance and, although i have been riding less on the moto and the pedal bikes, i am faster on the ktm than before i started and way more fit. i am doing about 130 pull ups now on the back/legs workout day

get the supplements from gnc and the recovery drink. it's worth it if you want to get in shape.

Edited by jive turkey
spelling

Whatever works for you is what you need to maintain a healthy weight and be fit.

I find it amusing to see how many people buy into the notion that you need to spend good money for a club membership, trainer, video, fitness machines, supplements, etc. All you need to stay fit is readily available to most all of us. What is not readily available is common sense.

Maintaining a healthy weight is all simple math. Calories in minus calories burned equals your weight. If you are eating good quality healthy food 3 times per day in moderate amounts and get your heart rate up for 20 minutes per day, it is almost impossible not to be in good shape. You can't eat between meals and you can't eat junk food or most fast food.

To get stronger, all you need to do is work the muscles you want to get stronger. I do pushups, pullups, situps and a few other ab burners. I squeeze a tennis ball while driving to work hand and forearms.

For cardio, I do a number of things - run, ride bike, cross country ski, climb up and down the stairs for 10 minutes straight while at work. I don't do any excercising on any excercise machine. I find getting outside is key to keeping me going on the excersise.

P90x is well worth the money, it beats me good every single time. It'll make you lose weight fast, by the time your done with the cd your pretty much dying and when you get to the legs and back and plyometrics forget about it. I've done those twice and left me having hard time to stand up the next day haha(although i push myself to the limit). Its got everything you need to be in shape only thing you need are a dvd player some weights, a mat and pull up bar. You have to be tough and committed though. Its going to be painful, but if you really want to feel better this is something to think about

Whatever works for you is what you need to maintain a healthy weight and be fit.

I find it amusing to see how many people buy into the notion that you need to spend good money for a club membership, trainer, video, fitness machines, supplements, etc. All you need to stay fit is readily available to most all of us. What is not readily available is common sense.

Maintaining a healthy weight is all simple math. Calories in minus calories burned equals your weight. If you are eating good quality healthy food 3 times per day in moderate amounts and get your heart rate up for 20 minutes per day, it is almost impossible not to be in good shape. You can't eat between meals and you can't eat junk food or most fast food.

To get stronger, all you need to do is work the muscles you want to get stronger. I do pushups, pullups, situps and a few other ab burners. I squeeze a tennis ball while driving to work hand and forearms.

For cardio, I do a number of things - run, ride bike, cross country ski, climb up and down the stairs for 10 minutes straight while at work. I don't do any excercising on any excercise machine. I find getting outside is key to keeping me going on the excersise.

i too, run, pedal, camp, or whatever i have time for and i've been lucky in that i'm active, eaten healthy and stayed relatively fit for most of my life. i dont know if that common sense comment was directed at me, however i would respond in saying that as i've gotten older and spent more time sitting behind a desk all day where free-time grows short, it is nice to have some guidelines to simplify things. Following a structured and proven routine took the guess work out of it. i did not know an effective way to put different kinds of muscle groups together or integrate my stretching and core work with the cardio days and resistance training. So maybe it's common sense. or maybe it's exercise science.