Sign in to follow this  

Trail Tech Tachometer/Hour Meter

I just picked up on of these at Cycle Gear and have a quick question about the set-up. It gives the option of .5, 1 or 2 tach pulses per crank revolution. I experimented with it and non seem to read accurately. I have it set at .5 which to me makes the most sense with a single cylinder four stroke motor-is this correct? When cold and not idling well it still reads 1,400rpms. To my ear it sounds more like 8 or 9 hundred. Also, does anyone have a good tip for connecting the induction wire to the spark plug wire? The instructions say to just wrap it but I'm sure it will come loose. Is there a good high temp tape or something I can wrap it with. I don't have high expectations for this being a super accurate device but at least it was cheap ($37).

My pulse setting is set at 1.

After coiling the rpm wire to the spark plug cable, and wrap it over with 3M Vinyl Electrical tape.

😏:ride:B)

Thanks for the responses!-Did you guys wrap the wire closer to the coil or the plug? I have it near the plug but will move it so it doesn't get as hot. How accurate do you think these are?

I have mine (vapor) connected to the spark plug coil lead. However, like you, none of the pulse settings got it right.

.5 pulses wouldn't work on most motorcycles, since they run a wasted spark. 1 pulse worked at idle for me, but midrange RPMs were off (guessing it's a MSD for part of the RPM range) and then it was off again at higher RPM.

So I've got it set to 2 which makes the idle off and the high off, but the midrange where you typically ride is darn close.

Bike is a TTR225 so you may not have the issue I'm having.

Accuracy? Should be very close barring MSD issues. The inductive set up won't be as perfect as the direct to coil, but again within humanly determinable accuracy, if not better.

The Vapor tach can also be connected to the +(?) side of the coil.

I'm pretty certain it says the + side but best to be safe and read the instructions first.

I have it hooked up to the coil on my Honda XL and pulse is set to 1 but I believe the DR650 has a different spark setup then most singles.

The term Wasted Spark (or similar) comes to mind.

Hopefully somebody that knows more about the 650 ignition will chime in.

Mine (a vapor) is also set to 1 pulse.

I wrapped the red wire with rubber tape and grounded the black to the frame, using the air filter box top screw.

The Vapor tach can also be connected to the +(?) side of the coil.

I'm pretty certain it says the + side but best to be safe and read the instructions first.

I have it hooked up to the coil on my Honda XL and pulse is set to 1 but I believe the DR650 has a different spark setup then most singles.

The term Wasted Spark (or similar) comes to mind.

Hopefully somebody that knows more about the 650 ignition will chime in.

Yes, wasted spark means 1 spark event per revolution of the engine (one is "wasted" on the exhaust stroke). Wasted spark 4-stroke engines and two stroke engines should be set to 1 pulse per RPM. .5 would be used for a non-wasted spark 4-stroke ignition (fires only on compression).....

I have mine (vapor) connected to the spark plug coil lead. However, like you, none of the pulse settings got it right.

I had accuracy problems with my initial setup, but then dialed it in. The pulse setting definitely has to be 1, but then you have to play with the number of times you wrap the pickup wire around the bike's spark plug wire - and how far apart you space each wrap (you're essentially playing with the resistence, as one of my smart friends explained to me). I think I ended up with 3 or 3-1/2 wraps spaced about 1/8" apart from each other, then taped it up with electrical tape. For DR owners or those with other bikes that also have two spark plugs, be careful that both spark plug wires don't touch or are in close proximity to each other at the point your Vapor's tach pickup wire is wrapped. Otherwise, the tach pickup will also sense the spark pulse in the second wire and cause more 😏 .

I had accuracy problems with my initial setup, but then dialed it in. The pulse setting definitely has to be 1, but then you have to play with the number of times you wrap the pickup wire around the bike's spark plug wire - and how far apart you space each wrap (you're essentially playing with the resistence, as one of my smart friends explained to me). I think I ended up with 3 or 3-1/2 wraps spaced about 1/8" apart from each other, then taped it up with electrical tape. For DR owners or those with other bikes that also have two spark plugs, be careful that both spark plug wires don't touch or are in close proximity to each other at the point your Vapor's tach pickup wire is wrapped. Otherwise, the tach pickup will also sense the spark pulse in the second wire and cause more 😏 .
Mine's plugged directly into the spark plug coil lead, zero wraps.

Although I will check to be absolutely certain it's not leaning against something else that could cause an inductive phantom pulse next time I pull the gas tank off.

Thanks again for the tips. I'll try experimenting with the coil wraps and spacing. I'm not an electrical engineer, but it seems weird that changing this would affect the pulse rate. I could see how it would affect the pulse strength, and I tried setting it to high and low sensitivity but that didn't seem to help. So it must be picking up the other coil too.... On the pulse setting of 1, it is reading too low at idle-I have to rev the snot out of it to get above 1,600rpms.

Hey I also just got the same tach and am having trouble. I have it wrapped 11 times then ziptied. I initially had it set @ 1 and it wouldnt go above 2300 rpms and I know it was more. Then I set it at .5 and it seemed to read mid and high range lower, but my lowest idle without stalling was 1300, and I know it should idle lower than that. Any help out there?????

I mounted one to my DR650 and am having the same problem of it reading the wrong RPM's. Mine reads 50-60% of what it should, but if I touch it (even with gloved hands) it appears to read correctly. Trail Tech has been very friendly -- they've sent me two replacements, but both had the same issue as the original. They are supposedly sending me a third replacement, stating that there was an issue with the tach's firmware. I'm waiting on the third replacement now --- we'll see.

TTOonDR650.jpg

Thought I'd post a follow-up. The 3rd replacement Trail Tech sent me finally worked correctly. This one reads the proper RPM and works well. Too bad it took three tries, but I appreciate the fact that they kept trying till they finally got me one that would work.

Hey Dualsporter, do you have a contact number for Trailtech service? I still can't get mine to work right and want to send it back. It kind of bugs me that trail Tech hasn't issued a recall or something for these if they know they are not working properly.

Apparently they work fine on some vehicles, not on others. Their contact number is 360-687-4530, and I spoke to a guy named Justin. They are in Washington state.

When I first installed the vapor I had "noise" which would peg the tach bar intermittently. I found if I routed the pickup wire keeping it away from the coil it cleared this up. a careful wrap of good electrical tape should hold the pickup wire securely on the plug wire

I sent mine back to Trailtech last week, and got it back today (actually it was a brand new one). It works perfectly:ride: I really appreciate the excellent customer service from this company!

I fought with my new Vapor all day yesterday, trying various numbers of wraps around the coil wire, wire routing, a shielded cable, battery power only, changed spark plugs, run directly off coil, etc... I mean I tried various combinations all afternoon. I wonder if I have one of the "bad batch" units? I did call the tech line and tried Justin's suggestions, tach is still completely useless. The best result is when hooked to the coil's + lead. PPR = 1. This way the tach seems normal from 1 to 4k, then just bounces around above 4k. Bike = DR350

Exchange time maybe?

Thanks, Mike

Edited by Mikkojay
Forgot bike type

I installed one on a 2004 DR650; it took me about 2 hours. I wrapped mine around the spark plug wire closer to the coil about 6 times and used electrical tape to secure it. I couldn't figure out how to do it on the coil??? My coil is all sealed up with nowhere to attach any wires??

Anyways All my readings seem to be accurate. I did have one problem. I tightened the Rotor magnet bolt too tight and the head snapped off. What a pecker that was to get out.........The company was great with sending a replacement for free!!!!!!! Along with extra one's and more zip ties......