Sign in to follow this  

play in rocker arms=noise??

I have a 2003 ttr125 that seems to run great, however, I have a question about a noise that it is making. It starts easy but when you ride it you can hear a distinct chatter/ticking from the engine. So I pulled the valve covers off thinking that it was a issue with valve lash and I noticed that the rocker arms on both the intake and exhaust were loose...free play side to side. The exhaust rocker arm had a little more play that the intake but you can easily move both with your fingers. The valve clearance actually seems to be OK. Any ideas on the play, this cannot be normal, right? Do you think that this is the noise or could it be something else.

I bought it from a guy who said that the noise had always been there and this being my first ttr I didn't know any different.

If it's any consolation, I have an 02 that I bought used around 05. My engine also makes a strange ticking and whistling noises. It has done this for the entire 6 years of hard riding. :smirk: The bike may have something wrong (or not) I am just sharing my experience.

I got a question for you, does yours have any free play in the rear wheel? I can jiggle my rear wheel slightly and feel the "click". I tried new wheel bearings and everything, nothing seems to get rid of it. Does yours do this?

edit: Actually, been here since 2003, so make that 8 years of hard riding.

Edited by AbsoluteZero

Thanks for the responses guys.

There is no play in the rear wheel AZ, and I can hear the noise just on a stand revving the bike with no rear wheel movement.

Schrode, the valves are within spec.