KX65 forum?

TT has been great as far as info for all my sons bikes thus far. Just wondered if there are any other mini forums out there? I've been on KTM talk this past year which was my saving grace for our 50sx. Now with the addition of the kx65, I'm just looking for some additional info.

• Like 1

either the mini section or the kawi 2-stroke section.

i usually just do a search for "kx65" to pull any new info from the board.

There is Kawaskimotorcycle.org, however, the info here is better. At least for minis. If you were asking about street bikes that's the place to go though.

again what info do you want? maybe if you ask a question what you are after, either you will get a link to a previous post or site or someone will answer the question.

The bikes have changed VERY little since 2000 when they came out.

Basically I'm looking for mods, simple tricks, things to look out for etc...

With the KTM 50 Sr. we had last year the info was invaluable that I got from KTM talk. There was "The Bible" that answered 90% of the tips and tricks. So I was looking for something along those lines for the KX65. Things like best cylinder/head mods, suspension mods, weight reduction, best piston options, best tranny oil etc... Obviously everyone has their own opinions but I'm sure there are certain things that most everyone would agree upon.

the pro circuit or team green guys have a tech sheet online that will give you exactly what to do for a mod 65.

it is linked in this forum in several places if you just do a search.

So here is a lowdown on the bikes

00-02 are the same

03+ uses the adjustable suspension which is longer and thus need a longer front brake line. also changed the rear linkage from a steel to aluminum unit. If you are converting an 00-02 get the forks, front brake cable, rear shock and linkage.

All years you can get different length "done bone" rods to lower/raise the seat height.

Stock crank is weak. you can get a complete top and bottom end from Motosport for cheap with a hotrod crank and wiseco piston for increased reliability.

Pipes are the same 00-05 then 05+ . All they did is change the flange from the pipe to silencer, just swapped them. if you get an aftermarket pipe, get the silencer also.

Bikes did go through a lot of carb changes each year from kawasaki. Just set the float level correct on the bike so that bowl never gets more than 3/4 full. Jet for altitude and adjust the needle clip and air screw as needed.

There are a few companies that make specialized parts for the bike:

procircuit has a bunch

http://phatheadracing.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=18

http://www.r1dean.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=20

Seriously for weight savings, get real. They are good bikes. You can tune the suspension a lot with the 03+ suspension with the correct springs, set the sag, use the correct length rear dog bones, then play with the suspension oil height and weight. If you want more, look at like R&D for more. they will never be a KTM, but are a great stepping stone bike. An ASV clutch lever + perch and brake lever is highly recommended. Gearing, stock front, +1 in the rear. Had great luck with a Renthal Gold chain and steel sprockets. Tires, plethora of them out there. Used the D756s while we had it. Tranny oil, I use Honda HP in everything. works great, no clutch problems, no missed shifts and has good life. Changed every 5 rides at the most. Air filter, clean after every ride.

Most of the plastic is shared with the KLX110 up to 09. Front fender is different. YOu can use a 110 petcock and drill the reserve hole in the 65 tank for a reserve. Other than that, direct swap. graphics the same between the bikes and the seats. Different air filters.

You can get aftermarket radiators and hoses on Ebay for cheap.

Best advice, keep the bike maintained. DOnt dump a ton of cash into the bike as the 85s are a much better starting platform and better everything stock.

Edited by JJRace
  • Like 2

cobratalk.com is good for minis

it is a good site, but does not get a lot of traffic.

They're great bikes - make sure that no matter what crank you run - you still run a generous mix - the top end starves the bottom end for oil so you need lots of it to keep the crank happy.

Sure - they may never be a KTM but with the right rider, even an old 2000 KX65 will beat the latest greatest KTM 65 into the dirt any day of the week.

So here is a lowdown on the bikes

00-02 are the same

03+ uses the adjustable suspension which is longer and thus need a longer front brake line. also changed the rear linkage from a steel to aluminum unit. If you are converting an 00-02 get the forks, front brake cable, rear shock and linkage.

All years you can get different length "done bone" rods to lower/raise the seat height.

Stock crank is weak. you can get a complete top and bottom end from Motosport for cheap with a hotrod crank and wiseco piston for increased reliability.

Pipes are the same 00-05 then 05+ . All they did is change the flange from the pipe to silencer, just swapped them. if you get an aftermarket pipe, get the silencer also.

Bikes did go through a lot of carb changes each year from kawasaki. Just set the float level correct on the bike so that bowl never gets more than 3/4 full. Jet for altitude and adjust the needle clip and air screw as needed.

There are a few companies that make specialized parts for the bike:

procircuit has a bunch

http://phatheadracing.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=18

http://www.r1dean.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=20

Seriously for weight savings, get real. They are good bikes. You can tune the suspension a lot with the 03+ suspension with the correct springs, set the sag, use the correct length rear dog bones, then play with the suspension oil height and weight. If you want more, look at like R&D for more. they will never be a KTM, but are a great stepping stone bike. An ASV clutch lever + perch and brake lever is highly recommended. Gearing, stock front, +1 in the rear. Had great luck with a Renthal Gold chain and steel sprockets. Tires, plethora of them out there. Used the D756s while we had it. Tranny oil, I use Honda HP in everything. works great, no clutch problems, no missed shifts and has good life. Changed every 5 rides at the most. Air filter, clean after every ride.

Most of the plastic is shared with the KLX110 up to 09. Front fender is different. YOu can use a 110 petcock and drill the reserve hole in the 65 tank for a reserve. Other than that, direct swap. graphics the same between the bikes and the seats. Different air filters.

You can get aftermarket radiators and hoses on Ebay for cheap.

Best advice, keep the bike maintained. DOnt dump a ton of cash into the bike as the 85s are a much better starting platform and better everything stock.

right on, thanks for the info. I just bought my daughter an '07 KX65. She got a serious bug to start racing after going to her first SX event, she says she wants to be the first Pro Woman to make it to the SX Main :smirk: I see pros and cons to this....but knowing my daughter, I want to do what I can to help with her self confidence. I'm not trying to sound braggy, but she has a lot of natural talent in sports and acedemics, she just lacks confidence which hinders her potential...so figure I would ride with this (pun not intended LOL) and support her. And as an added bonus, this would give me a valid reason to tell ma, "hey, gotta take our daughter out to ride/pracitice...see ya later." :rant: Anywho, I hope that this KX is more reliable than our friends '07 KTM65...my buddy is constantly working on it and his son is pretty easy on that thing...he rarely gets out of 2nd. :lol:

They're great bikes - make sure that no matter what crank you run - you still run a generous mix - the top end starves the bottom end for oil so you need lots of it to keep the crank happy.

Sure - they may never be a KTM but with the right rider, even an old 2000 KX65 will beat the latest greatest KTM 65 into the dirt any day of the week.

I run all my 2strokes @ 50:1 without issue, even the 65 with an aftermarket crank. Point being is to use good quality oil and make sure the jetting is correct. Get an aftermarket crank and you will be fine.

Hello,

Anybody out there who can walk throuh, tearing apart my son's 2007 65sx, he was riding in 1st and the bike just stopped and the coolant was coming out of the overflow hose. The bike will not fire. Can not seem to get gas to the spark plug, always dry when trying to kick it over. Now the bike will not kick over at all seems seized. Can anyone help me in talking me through how to take the engine apart, and what I should be looking for, when I take parts off.

Thanks.

Look for scoring on the cylinder/piston/rings, and check the lower end bearings very carefully to make sure they turn freely and have no free play or noise.

Very generically, drain the coolant at the water pump, remove the carb, remove the top of the cylinder that holds the spark plug - 4 nuts. Remove the cylinder, there should be about 4 nuts around the base holding it down. You will need the gasket under the cylinder and the one on top to reassemble. If the piston is stuck, try a spray lube to help get it apart.

the pro circuit or team green guys have a tech sheet online that will give you exactly what to do for a mod 65.

it is linked in this forum in several places if you just do a search.

Resurrecting this old thread to see if anyone can point me to the Tech Sheets that are available on the Team Green or Pro Circuit web sites? I've looked for them and not had any success.

Also, what's the concensus on fuel:oil ratio for the KX65? Been told anywhere from 30-50:1 and that's a huge disparity. I currently use Amsoil Dominator at 50:1 in our Cobra 50 and had excellent results with it thus far, but it's my understanding the bottom ends are alot more thirsty on the KX.

We have used Amsoil Dominator @ 40:1 on our 08 KX 65 just changed out the piston after a little over a year of racing & riding everything looked good. I know other people run the Amsoil Dominator at 50:1 without trouble. I know the people we got our KX 65 from & it has always had Amsoil Dominator @ 40:1 since new & it is still on the original bottom end.

You're going to get a wide variety of opinions on the oil ratio. I'll tell you this much, these are high revving, high strung small motors that aren't going to move anywhere near as much fuel through the crank case as their bigger counter parts. These bikes run small bearings with small needles and small passageways to get the lubrication to them. The less oil you run, the less oil there is to move to these already taxed parts.

I run 28.5:1 bean oil in my 72cc miniGP KX60 and I expect to get about one season out of a crank.

You can take your chances at 50:1 if you'd like. I prefer more oil with proper jetting.

I don't see any of the tech sheets, so unless someone else finds them, PM me your email address and I'll send you the ones I've got.