Illegal to install a slip-on pipe

In Florida it is absolutely illegal, by state statute, to install a slip-on pipe if makes the bike (or car) any louder whatsoever than the factory installed pipe. This is annoying because I want a slip-on to slightly increase the sound of my bike, to be more noticeable to cars. I guess risking a ticket is the price of a slight potential increase in safety in this case. Any of you ever get in trouble for this?

Im in florida also and Ive never heard about this. My wife's z has a fmf slip on and my Z has a full e yosh system. Ive been pulled over before and the exhaust was never the issue! If they enforced the law just about every bike on the road would be sited! Change out your pipe (and rejet) and go ride!?

In Florida it is absolutely illegal, by state statute, to install a slip-on pipe if makes the bike (or car) any louder whatsoever than the factory installed pipe. This is annoying because I want a slip-on to slightly increase the sound of my bike, to be more noticeable to cars. I guess risking a ticket is the price of a slight potential increase in safety in this case. Any of you ever get in trouble for this?

It's the same in Europe, but -- who cares.

I've been riding too loud bikes for over 30yrs, never got any ticket.

Also need E-Mark or road legal mark, but again, who cares.

I was stopped in mass last year for a "compliance check" besides the usual horn lights blinkers they checked to be certain the bike had a stock or approved exhaust on it. I also saw a harley get turned away at the inspection station because of non stock pipes.

I know there are inspectors in mass that will pass the bike w an unapproved exhaust on it also

We have/had the same laws in australia since the early 90`s I think . They called them " australian design rules " or ADR`s for short . So if your car or bike came with an exhaust then that type is the only one you can replace it with . You should see the amount of non standard exhausts that are run on vehicles in this country ! We are going the way of high performance cars and bikes again , like it was in the 70`s and 80`s . Back then they thought 300 hp cars were too powerful and they banned there production , we are now getting upwards of 500 hp on some . The very first thing most people do is change the restrictive standard exhaust and replace it with a performance aftermarket one . By law this is illegal , but in my country noone is being prosecuted for it , unless the police are trying to get you personally , greg

point is how do they know what "stock" is? add your pipe and tell them its the same as the stock one... all bikes make different amounts of noise stock... how are they to know? Im sure they have a base line like 96Db like others do... just hover around that youll be ok...

True all. I am doing it and won't worry about it.

And to the person who assumed I speed also which is illegal - no I do not. I have $60K sports cars and a DRZSM, and I never speed. My wife hates riding with me because I go slow. My car takes me to 60 in 5 every time, but never over the post. And I have a nearly perfect driving record at 45 yrs old. Couldn't be happier about it ; )

As another 40 something rider, I can honestly say that if a person is not riding like a jack@ss, then there is very little reason to pull them over and cite them for something like a loud exhaust. We as riders are sometimes our own worst enemies and can goon up the simplest practises, like staying off the throttle when passing the cops, or keeping both wheels on the pavement and not riding well above the posted limit...

Having said that, I now have the best insurance rates ever, although when I was young, I lost my licence once for being an idiot in front of the cops and in hindsight, it probably saved my life.

Now I own a early muscle car with Flowmaster exhaust, 2 Harleys with Vance & Hines pipes (1 without baffles at all) and now a DZ-R 400SM with a Hindle pipe... Never been pulled over by the cops though... Why? I don't drive like a retard and piss people off by making too much racket. When I want to do that; I head out to the boonies where I can offend the wildlife...

Just my .02...

Thanks!

I want a slip-on to slightly increase the sound of my bike, to be more noticeable to cars.

If this is the only reason you want the pipe, don't do it. A louder pipe just makes it harder for you to hear what's going on around you. People in cars can't even hear firetruck sirens anymore - they are well insulated and have great sound systems. They are not going to hear you. But they might see your high-beam during the day.

"Loud pipes save lives" is just a bumper sticker. A person who thinks this way is relying on other people to see or hear the rider. It should be the opposite - the rider is responsible for seeing everything else. Ride like you are invisible - meaning assume that nobody can see you and that they will do stupid and dangerous stuff - so you need to be ready to respond.

Now - if you want a different pipe to go faster, sound better, or just cause that aftermarket logo will make your buddies jealous, do it. But keep the stock pipe so you can swap it back if you have to.

...and if you get the aftermaret pipe, keep it covered with mud, no officer is going to clean it off to see if it's stock. ?

Final safety tip for the street (since you don't speed): I think it's safer to go at, or just a bit faster, than the flow of traffic. Less chance of getting hit from behind.