Sign in to follow this  

RMX450 Recall

Well I stopped by my dealer today to pick up some parts and they informed me that Suzuki might be recalling all the RMX's that have been sold. This is in conjunction with the hold on all sales of it by the EPA. I asked well I have alot of money dumped into mine and they said that Suzuki will most likely if the recall happens will reinbursh the original purchase price plus interest and this includes any accessories that have been added to the bike. I'm totally bummed, and hope that this doesn't happen as I think this is one off the best bikes I've ever owned. Anyone else hear anything froms there dealers or sources. I'm hoping not going to be true....B):smirk:

Do you have the right to refuse?

what would be the consequences? probably just a red sticker next time you renew?

Yesterday my local dealership still had one on the floor and was more than willing to sell it to me. I personally do not believe that there was ever a recall on these bikes, at least not in Michigan.

Continue to ride it and continue to roost to your hearts content, as there is no recall unless they call you.

There's no recall in affect at the moment, and my dealer was just relaying some info for me. Its still just a maybe situation, but if they can't appease the EPA it might happen. My dealer still has one, and another dealer I went to had one and still can't sell. In terms of refusing to return if recall takes place, I'm assuming the dmv might issue it as a red sticker bike. I most definetly didn't spend upwards of 11 grand with accessories to be told I now have a red sticker bike, already have an RMZ that's why I bought the RMX. I would return it and buy another KTM most likely.

I stopped by East Bay Motorsports in Hayward today and they still had 2 RMX450s and they said they cant sell them. Supposedly they have had them since August and cant sell them until they get the approval from the EPA. I guess the EPA isnt keeping them updated so they have no clue when they will be allowed to sell.

I called my dealer they said they haven't heard anything about a recall and that even if there was it would be an option.

A recall? I guess this may be why I don't see the RMX450 on the Suzuki website anymore. I am in the market for a new bike and really want a EFI with E-Start and was considering the Zuke along with the new Husky and Husaberg (wich are both EFI / E-Start as well).

That really blows..... I guess my decision is now down to 2 bikes....:thumbsup:

Yesterday my local dealership still had one on the floor and was more than willing to sell it to me. I personally do not believe that there was ever a recall on these bikes, at least not in Michigan.

Continue to ride it and continue to roost to your hearts content, as there is no recall unless they call you.

What dealer? I too am in Mi. Thanks.

Does anyone know or has any one heard if Suzuki is going to discontinue the RMX????

It is not shown on their web site for 2011 model are they trying to get it to be 50 state legal before they start selling them again????

It seems the recall only affects California so why don't they sell them in the other 49 states???

I too was in my local Suzi dealer and They had a nice new RMX 450Z in the show-room. I was eyeballing it as one of the only 4T's I'd be interested in. They proceded to tell me the same story about not being able to sell the bike because of some EPA regs. I said, "EPA regs don't apply to closed course machines". They insisted the EPA was responsible for holding up sales on this bike. NO DEALER anywhere should be selling them or there'd be trouble with Ma-zuki. (according to them). So what's the story on this poor bike that many people want, but no one can get now?:thumbsup:

Does anyone know or has any one heard if Suzuki is going to discontinue the RMX????

It is not shown on their web site for 2011 model are they trying to get it to be 50 state legal before they start selling them again????

It seems the recall only affects California so why don't they sell them in the other 49 states???

This is the same question I have, on the site they have very few bikes even for 2011, they are building a new GSR750 and it is not there but on the 'global site'?

The Suzuki dealer I spoke to is not getting any new bikes from Suzuki, are they going out of the US Market?

Does anyone know why the EPA is picking on Suzuki? How can they allow people to buy a KTM XC or a Yamaha WR, but they won't allow people to buy an RMX? There's a lot of this that doesn't make any sense. Unless it's just a case of Suzuki not greasing the right the palms.

... Unless it's just a case of Suzuki not greasing the right the palms.

There's most likely a lot of truth to that.

I think it was some quad magazine that posted that the LTR450 (?) and the RMX450 were being held up because it was too easy to modify them from the way they were configured by the factory to clear the Cali. Green Sticker requirements.

So it's not that they are illegal by the EPA standards, it's because they are too easy to modify away from the condition that they were approved. Which is stupid but that's what I've been able to conclude.

So a spring project of mine is going to show how easy it is to remove the catalytic converter from a '05 Trail Blazer. Michigan doesn't have an emission test plus it'll get better gas mileage and overall performance. And I'll be able to modify it in less time that it takes to rework an RMX.

Stand by, this will happen in about ... 2 months (it's still cold outside!).

What's the restrictions on importing one of these from Canada? If it's not a difficult task with only a couple of small hoops to jump threw, it might be an option for some of you folks that live in MI. There's a Suzuki dealership in Windsor and one just outside of Sarnia. The going rate, up here, is $9399CDN. If you guys can buy them up here but still can't register them on your side of the border for 'green' trail use, than that just sucks.

I remember something similar in the late 80's. There were a handful of 2-stroke street bikes that were selling in Canada that weren't available for sale in the US because of CARB and the EPA. Many Americans brought late model RZ350's/500's, and RG250's/500's across the boarder without too much trouble. The US got RZ350's until '84, where Canada got them until '90.

I think it was some quad magazine that posted that the LTR450 (?) and the RMX450 were being held up because it was too easy to modify them from the way they were configured by the factory to clear the Cali. Green Sticker requirements.

So it's not that they are illegal by the EPA standards, it's because they are too easy to modify away from the condition that they were approved. Which is stupid but that's what I've been able to conclude.

Go's to show the EPA is not that smart I guess. :cheers: You can take virtually any smog emissions off bikes in California. They do it all the time on the 08-09 Kawi KLX450, the Honda CRF450X's and on the Husqvarna's and Husaberg's 4T's. They are just as easy (if not easier) than on the Zuke's.