Nuetech Tubliss for baja

+1 on Don't!

Buddies pre-running San Felipe didn't even make it to Zoo Road from the Start line - 15 miles or less.

Then after 'fix' only made it 10 more miles until another issue with it...?

+2

I Know a team that tried them in the Best In The Desert series and flatted the front in the Parker 250 and then both front and rear in the Silver State 300. Maybe OK for Motocross but off-road is just too gnarly!!!

One of the guys on our Baja 1000 team this year used them for pre-running. Can't even count the number of problems he had.? Entire nightmare! No one else on the team used them, and not a single problem for any of us. Soooooo glad I decided against it. Felt really sorry for his pre-run partner having to donate his own spare tires and wheels after all the neutech spares ran out!

I must be lucky. I've got about 1200 miles on mine so far. The only problem was after about 100 plus miles singletrack on a total of 450 mile trip I put a hole in a sidewall. Didn't realize it until I got back to camp and saw slime coming out of the sidewall. Lots and lots of cactus and rocks. I am a pretty big guy, 225# and in the past I was the flat tire king

+1 on Don't!

Buddies pre-running San Felipe didn't even make it to Zoo Road from the Start line - 15 miles or less.

Then after 'fix' only made it 10 more miles until another issue with it...?

+3

I cut my tire on a rock less than two miles into my first ride with them and went flat, bailed on those. Then, bought a used bike with them already installed, figured I'd run'em until it was time to replace the tires, didn't last that long. Heading to the start line at a race, a loud bang was heard. Turns out the inner liner had a steel belt work it's way out and stabbed the tube. I saw this happen again on someone else's bike.

I'm glad to see others have posted bad luck with these things. I once posted my experience on another thread and got flamed.? Everyone I ride with has bailed on 'em.

• 2 weeks later...
I must be lucky. I've got about 1200 miles on mine so far. The only problem was after about 100 plus miles singletrack on a total of 450 mile trip I put a hole in a sidewall. Didn't realize it until I got back to camp and saw slime coming out of the sidewall. Lots and lots of cactus and rocks. I am a pretty big guy, 225# and in the past I was the flat tire king

You're not lucky...just old and forgetfull. :rant: As "I" remember it, you put a hole in the rear one on our ride back from Rosario. Then, wasted the tire by running it flat back to camp.? They did last the entire 450 miler after that, but that's when we noticed the sidewall cut in the new rear tire with slime oozing out. Lucky? ? Two rear tires and one Tubliss. The last flat I've had over the last few years was a tire iron pinch during a rear changeout last week. Bridgestone ULTRA HEAVY DUTY tubes for me...and a heavy duty carcass tire! ?

You're still the flat tire KING! ?

• 2 weeks later...

While I wouldn't necessarily recommend the Tubliss system for the Mexican 1000 or Baja, four of us have been successfully using Tubliss front and rear for some time for trail/desert riding. I have been using Tubliss for several years now. I guess the main advantage is not having to worry so much about pinch flats. With HD tubes I would have to run 20psi in front and 15psi in the rear in an attempt to avoid pinch flats. Tubliss allows running lower pressures without fear of pinch flats. Most of us have successfully repaired puncture flats with a simple, quick trail-side plug repair. We have all found that Tubliss tires maintain air pressure as well as or better than standard tire/tube combos. Another plus is easier tire changes. A disadvantage is that the Tubliss setup requires at least as much balance weight to balance wheels as single rim lock wheels do.

Personally, I think running that low air pressure is great for traction, but it probably also helps the tires to an early death. I see all kinds of spines stuck in my tires and even one that went completely through the front of my plastic skid plate, but a sturdy tire (606, Maxxis Desert, etc) with Bridgestone ultra tubes, with slime, have never let me down. I hate those tires by the way, but they do seem to hold up and offer some good rock & flat resistance.

well that wouldnt be very nice

I caught a friend of mine with THREE master links on his chain because he was too lazy (and careless) to buy a new one. Guess who's chain broke in the middle of Baja? I love the guy, but told him I'll never go to Baja with him if he pulled that nonsense again. Sometimes tough love is necessary ?