Reed cage spacer

Has anyone removed the 5 mm reed cage spacer on their yz and seen how it runs? I have read that it increases top end performance! I think i read it in MXA. I thought about giving it a try on some more wide open tracks /trails!

Adding a spacer lowers the power curve...not as in lower power, but it does shift the available power lower into the rpm range.

Its a fun experiment. On the stock 250, I liked mine with the spacer. On the 300 kit, its very cool without the spacer. I tried a 10mm thick spacer on my 97 and it ruined throttle response and did nothing. So its worth experimenting on.

I've not see anythign for a 125, but someone probably has one.

• 1 year later...

Hey guys, new to the Yamaha world but have been riding an 06 YZ250 with a big bore 290 kit and was searching for more top end power. Has plenty of bottom power for the desert and the rock gardens I ride in. Took out the reed cage spacer this weekend and was very happy with the result. It definitely pulls harder and longer where with the spacer the power fell off very flat. Running a beat up stock 06 pipe with FMF spark arrestor.

Edited by Apkills

Adding a spacer lowers the power curve...not as in lower power, but it does shift the available power lower into the rpm range.

Its a fun experiment. On the stock 250, I liked mine with the spacer. On the 300 kit, its very cool without the spacer. I tried a 10mm thick spacer on my 97 and it ruined throttle response and did nothing. So its worth experimenting on.

I've not see anythign for a 125, but someone probably has one.

Really...that is interesting. I think you have the same eric gorr power band as me (mo betta) and I am curious as to how removing the spacer affected the power delivery?