Sign in to follow this  

06 YZ250 carb problems after sitting for months

Hello,

My 06 YZ250 has been sitting for a few months. I went to start it up today and it acted very weird. The bike would only start with the choke on and would not idle. I had to rev it a bit just to keep the bike from bogging and stalling. I figured my float was stuck open so I took out the carb and made sure it was fine. I put the bike back together and I still had the same problem. I then rode the bike around my property and it acted the same. It rode pretty normal but if I didn't have the throttle open at all it would bog and die. The same happened if I stopped and pulled in the clutch. Do you have any idea what else it could be? Thanks for your help.

Sounds like either dirt or junk in the carb or the jetting is off due to the cooler weather maybe? 2 strokes are finicky about jetting with the temperature outside, humidity, elevation etc.. Try blowing out the carb and jets with compressed air and then mess with jetting if that doesnt help. IMHO.

Looks like a carb clean is in your future,its proably just gunked up from sitting without being run.About cleaning the jets,you can use compressed air,but be carefull not to break the jets.

Sounds like your pilot jet has gunk in it.

Take it out and see if can see light thru it.

Nothin to it, its def your pilot jet stopped up. Take it out and use a wire from a wire brush to poke out the obstruction and poke the wire through the vent holes, hold up to your shop lite and check your work out. IMO taking your sub-frame off will get you to your carb the quickest.

Dang, no I guess I dont. I wasnt saying to gouge out a new hole. Sorry for my ignorance. If you did slightly scratch the inside of your pilot jet, what would it do? (I am not being a smart ass, I never really gave it much thought)

Hello

the manual says this:

EC464000 INSPECTION

EC464130 Carburetor

1. Inspect:

9Carburetor body

Contamination Clean.

NOTE:

9Use a petroleum based solvent for cleaning.

Blow out all passages and jets with compressed

air.

9Never use a wire.

I use those but I ignore the name in english, sorry

It could well happen that the flow of the mixture will not as intented, become better or most likely worse. Still when cloaked and having no tool mybe a nylon wire could also get rid of the obstruction.

Regards

You might try to clean the carb a little better? and maybe soak it in some seafoam. Also might not hurt to run a small amount of it in your next tank of fuel.

Like other posters have said it's almost certainly that your pilot jet is blocked. My money's on it being solidified 2T oil which I have experienced in the past when I stored a bike up for a while. It's good practice to drain your float bowl every time you put your bike away really......

When I had this problem a friend of my Dad's diagnosed it straightaway and he cleared the jet by using a bristle from a wire brush. I think it's safe to do if your careful (although I acknowledge that it's not best practice!)

try a new plug also, my ktm had the same problem but before a opened the carb i put in a new plug tried it and problem solved.

Finally got the carb out. I have a question about the pilot jet. Should I be able to blow air all the way through from the screwdriver end to the opposite end or just from the opposite end through the little holes? Right now air will only blow from the opposite end through the little holes. I soaked it in a degreaser and tried blowing air through it and got nothing besides the little holes. Thanks!