Sign in to follow this  

MY CRF150rXL (21"front/19"back wheels)

I started my build wanting to make myself the ultimate playbike for the track and for the woods. Myself being smaller at 5'-8" and 140 lbs I wanted a lighter and smaller bike but not to small so this is what I came up with. The start was a new CRF150rb. I brought the bike home and rode it up the street and back into the garage and started to take it apart. I bought the 150rb knowing it would easy to sell the wheels/tires and swingarm to get some of my money back for the cost of the build (sorry but wheels/tires and swingarm have already have been sold) the beginning and the recent pictures.

SAM_0077.jpg

Edited by FLACOSCHOPPERS
not finished

So what the difference in handling and the feel of the bike? WHat stand out the most as you ride it?

I used a 150r standard swingarm because the cost of these are fairly inexpensive and alot easier to find. I cut and ground-off the welds on the original axel blocks, you also have to cut the welds off the disc-brake and chain guides because these need to be repositioned for the added length of the new axel blocks. We machined out a new set of axel blocks with a added length of 2-3/8". I also stripped off the original anodizing so we didnt get discoloration on the swingarm when we welded the longer axel blocks on.

SAM_0075.jpg

SAM_0068.jpg

SAM_0066.jpg

new crf150 pictures 003.jpg

new crf150 pictures 004.jpg

Rims and hubs are by Rad Mfg, Excel rims, Rad Mfg hubs with heavy duty spokes (needed a 32 spoke hub for a 21" wheel for the front) Had to mill down the back side of the brake calipers inorder for them to clear the new spoke angle (I think this could be avoided with the use of a big brake kit like one for super-moto)

new crf150 pictures 023.jpg

new crf150 pictures 025.jpg

new crf150 pictures 026.jpg

2008 crf150rxl 028.jpg

new crf150 pictures 038.jpg

Very cool project. I'm woundering if the swing arm will be over stressed do to the increased leverage. Is it now the same length as the RB?

For the foot pegs I went with the FastWay "Low Boys" so they were lowered and back some from stock. The rear brake lever and the shift lever I used were the HammerHead ones because you can order them for different boot lengths.

new crf150 pictures 020.jpg

new crf150 pictures 021.jpg

new crf150 pictures 022.jpg

Its hard for me to judge the handling compared to stock because as soon as I got the bike home I tore it down to start the build on it. It has BBR front & rear springs and the suspension is dialed in to the way I like it, so it handles awsome for me and its only 5.5lbs. heavier than a 150rb with a ground clearance of 15.5in. compared to 13.2 on the 150rb, a little more clearance in the woods is nice to.

new crf150 pictures 046.jpg

changed the front fender to a cfr230 more for aesthetic purpose than clearance issues. Dropped the forks all the way down in the triple clamps also. May machine out a set of triple clamps that are 3/4" to 1" lower than stock just for a little more clearance. (Photos stock size fender and 230 fender)

2008 crf150rxl 051.jpg

new crf150 pictures 042.jpg

Personally, it seems lile a waste of time and money! You could of just as easily bought a crf250x (for mellower power) and just lowered the suspension. The resale will be better and the bike can be changed back when you are ready to sell. Yes, its cool and if I had unlimited finacial resources, I might do the same, but the bike in general is completely impractical.

I couldn't disagree more. I wouldn't even consider a CRF250X over this bike. This bike is WAY cool, and that bike is a foo-foo bike.

its cool but pointless, i would have just got a 125 rollling chassis and put a 150r motor in it, that would be badass

its cool but pointless, i would have just got a 125 rollling chassis and put a 150r motor in it, that would be badass

And alot more work...

Or lower a 250F.

this is even more pointless but i saw a guy that put a kx 500 engine in a kx 85, that is just suicide, i dont even know how you would do it, you can barley stuff xr 100 motors in there

Personally, it seems lile a waste of time and money! You could of just as easily bought a crf250x (for mellower power) and just lowered the suspension. The resale will be better and the bike can be changed back when you are ready to sell. Yes, its cool and if I had unlimited finacial resources, I might do the same, but the bike in general is completely impractical.
Or lower a 250F.

How is it impractical? A 250x weighs 70 pounds more than an 150R. Even with the full sized wheels, I bet it is still a good 60 pounds lighter.

What would switching from a competent small, fairly modern lightweight steel chassis, to a more than likely heavier, and larger aluminum chassis get him?

Wow I can't believe all the naysayers that are showing up on this thread. What ever happened to doing soemthing just because???

I'm all for it!