Sign in to follow this  

Tech 3 or Gaern GX-1? for trails?

I think I need to step up from a $100 crappy boot to a $200 boot, seems to be the sweet spot for a decent setup.

I ride trails in colorado, little to no mud. should I go for the ATV sole or the regular MX one?

what boot would you suggest for about $200

The Alpenstars Tech 3

http://bit.ly/hQAiz3

or

Gaern GX-1

http://bit.ly/hjuSwq

-Zach

I personaly like the gaern GX-1's better. I have done both soles in the past if you plan on having to do any walking the atv sole gives more traction in out decomposed granite covered mountains.

I don't see any disadvantage for trail riding just advantages but for mx they don't slide as easy and could grab while putting a foot down they may also be a tad heavier. I prefer the Gaernes because to me they are more comfortable and better built. More leather and the sole is of better construction. I had a set of the newer style Tech threes and the sole separated as it is more of the tennis shoe style sole.

It sure is hard to beat the look of the tech 3's though. I am in the same category....looking for a $200 boot and have decided to go with the tech 3s. I currently have old fox forma pros and there sooo heavy compared to the tech 3s.

I know this is an old thread, so I'm just posting for archival purposes, but I have tried on the Tech 3's and currently own the new ('09) version of the GX1's.

The GX1 is more flexible right out of the box, while the Tech 3's feel more like ski-boots. One is Not better than the other, just different. For crash protection I think the T3 is the better boot, but for comfort and manueverability the GX1 seems like the better choice. The buckles on the T3 are a PITA to undo, but you honestly can't go wrong with either.

My calves are about 19" in circumference, and the T3's seemed to have more room in this area. With my GX1's I didn't have room for shin guards when new, and since they have stretched some I haven't tried, because I just wear knee guards now.

I got the gx-1s and I am happy. I went to Moab and had a few crashes, one front washout twisted my foot as I fell and while it hurt, I was up and moving within 5 minutes, it never bothered me again.

I never tried the tech 3s, but I can reccomend the gaernes. I was able to fit knee/shin guards under then and I am no stick... I found they fit a bit large in the American sizing system, the European numbers worked well for me. 12us shoes to 46 in the boots

Oh, and comfort.. My first time wearing them was a full day on the bike in Moab, my feet were happy all day, much better then my old boots!

Has anyone tried the Thor 50/50 boot? It's cheaper price is attractive to me buy I wonder if it would give protection much better then a typical work boot.

My first pair of boots were/are Tech 3s. Fit nicely, very comfortable, and I feel like they protect very well. The buckles are sometimes a little hard to work with but not enough to matter. These are the only boots I've had so I have nothing to compare them to. I got them back in '07, so they're doing well.

I'm looking for a boot that wasn't quit as extreme as an mx boot, a boot I can walk in, and has better protection then work boots. I've even been looking at street riding boots that look like they could handle some offroad work.

Love my Tech 3s. I have them adjusted tightly and can wear knee and shin guards with comfort. I haven't had the buckle issues others have expressed, and I have put them to the test for 4 years now. Only complaint was it took them forever to break in, but once broken in they are quite comfortable and I can shift with ease.

GX-1's are comfortable right out of the box, and are better suited for walking in, compared to the Tech 3. But like all things there is a trade-off ... the more comfortable to walk in, the less they will protect you in a fall. A ski-boot for example will keep you from breaking your ankle, but are miserable to walk in.

The Thor 50-50 looks like a glorified street boot to me. Although I have never worn one or seen one in person, I would not be interested in one for the sheer lack of shin and calf protection, and I'm not talking about lifestock ... your cows will be safe regardless of which boot you wear.🤣