Fork Seal Replacement on 2006 YZ450F

Can someone tell me what the fork type is on this bike is? I have been reading that the twin chambers are harder to replace the fork seals on? Are these twin chamber the harder ones? The local Yamaha dealer wants $140.00 to replace both fork seals with all Yamaha parts. My question is are these forks hard to replace the oil in and seals?

My mechanical skills are good, but I am on the fence if I should take them in or replace them myself? If I did it myself all the hardware and tools to do it is still cheaper then to take the forks in to have it completed. If I do it myself what all should I replace in the fork once appart? Just the seals or the wipers too? What oil is recommended? The bike only has about 10 hours on it and the oil has never been replaced.

Thanks for the help! ?

They should be 48mm twin chamber forks.

They are just as easy to replace the seals as single chambers, I have done both.

It is totally worth doing yourself even if the costs the first time do not seem to be justified. You will replace them again and again, and since you bought the tools the first time now you just saved on the second replacement, and the third.

You don't HAVE to have the right tools, I improvised with some PVC plastic piping, careful hammering etc... Having the right tools though makes the job soooo much easier, and buying them online is pretty cheap.

One thing you must have though for the yammys is the inner chamber socket, there is no way to improvise that I know of to remove the inner chamber from fork tube... If someone knows of a quick and easy way to make a tool, or improvise using another type of tool let us know!!!

They are just as easy to replace the seals as single chambers, I have done both.

It is totally worth doing yourself even if the costs the first time do not seem to be justified. You will replace them again and again, and since you bought the tools the first time now you just saved on the second replacement, and the third.

You don't HAVE to have the right tools, I improvised with some PVC plastic piping, careful hammering etc... Having the right tools though makes the job soooo much easier, and buying them online is pretty cheap.

X2, if you are at all mechanically inclined do the job yourself ! Watch this video :

Don't worry about taking the inner chamber(s) apart for now, leave that for another time when you've mastered replacing fork seals. It won't take you long, maybe 3 times and you'll laugh at the thought of bringing them to a dealership.

You can replace the seals themselves, or replace both the seals and wipers. I usually do both, but you don't have to. I run 5 weight oil in my forks and I put 355 or 360 milliliters of oil in each fork tube.

If you can, buy the Tusk fork cap wrench ($20) and inner socket :

thumb2.jpg

and a fork seal driver ($47) for the next time you need to replace the seals, but like brentn said you can get away without them for now. If you've got any questions, let us know.

I just did my first seals ever last week. It was actually pretty simple once I had it down. It can be a little daunting the first time, as I had no idea how the forks actually worked.

The first time can be a little messy, so make sure you have plenty of towels and drip pans handy.

Might as well change the oil in your inner cartridge while you are at it. That will give you a chance to see if there is any damage in the inner chamber.

There is also a Rocky Mountain video that really shows how to do it too.

The proper tools make it a breeze.